Severner "Pine"

Featured Posts

We have recently become the new custodians of the ex-SCCCo "Pine". Built by Charles Hill in 1935, she is one of eight welded iron composite motor boats. I've been doing my research during the purchase process, so we know a little of "Pine's" history, but not a lot and there are very few photos that I can find.

Does anybody have any knowledge of "Pine's" working history, early private ownership or better still, any pictures?

Here's a recent shot:

image.jpeg.e53edf171f4b89681975526f8cda33e5.jpeg

I'll summarise what I do know:

Built Charles Hill in 1935.

Registered Gloucester in Feb 1935.

Worked for SCCCo until approx. 1950.

Sold to DIWE in 1950ish.

Pictured in the National Waterways Archive (1950's) as a piling rig on the T&M.

Sold by BW around 1980.

Rebottomed in steel by Ian Kemp around 1980.

Owned by The Chester Packet Horse & Boat Co during the 1980's.

A few photos/documents relating to private ownership seem to locate "Pine" around Chester, T&M and the Shropshire Union.

Last private owner kept "Pine" at Norbury Wharf.

I've read this thread, which is very informative:

I've loved reading Willows blog: https://severnerwillow.wordpress.com/

We have Hugh Conway-Jones excellent book, Alan H Faulkners book on Severn & Canal and Cadbury's and the Waterways Journal containing a short article on SCCCo. Are there any other good books worth tracking down?

Here's a picture from the archive that I am fairly certain is "Pine" at work in the 1950's.

image.jpeg.f9adb8d3d0227044ec71ae508808c64b.jpeg

Any and all information, photo's, anecdotes welcome. I know there is a huge wealth of information within the membership of this forum.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by NB Watersnail

Was it "Pine" that was broken into at The IWA rally at Suttons Stop in the 80s?

After the rally several boats were left for the following week.  When the owners turned up to start weekending her back home, they were puzzled at high out the water she was.

It seems another boat had been moored on the outside for most of the time.  Apart from many of the fixtures and fittings making the short journey, an extensive plate collection disappeared, as well as the engine and gearbox.

The Severner called Ash  (the one that is not the real Ash but I cannot remember the original name), was cleaned out at Suttons after the rally  and whilst the owners lost an extensive plate collections I dont think the engine and gearbox were included.

N

15 minutes ago, BEngo said:

The Severner called Ash  (the one that is not the real Ash but I cannot remember the original name), was cleaned out at Suttons after the rally  and whilst the owners lost an extensive plate collections I dont think the engine and gearbox were included.

N

That will be Ash 1 or Ash 2 that were built from the ends of Alder. I think.