Shakespeare Marina Review, Stratford-upon-Avon

MrsM

Featured Posts

We have just had a short stay in this new marina so thought I would give my feedback.

LOCATION - the marina is downstream of the final lock (Colin P Witter) on the Avon as one approaches Stratford-upon-Avon. Road access is off Seven Meadows Road. There is very little road noise once on a pontoon (even sleeping with all doors open in the recent heatwave). The town centre is on your doorstep, a short walk through the rec. Although on the edge of open countryside one doesn't have to walk through suburban housing or industrial estates to get to the heart of this incredibly beautiful and popular town.

FACILITIES - the are 250 pontoons, each with their own electric hookup and water tap (taps are often shared between 2 or more moorings). Diesel and pump-out will be available on site. There will be a small stock of essentials in the office but not a chandlery or cafe. There is a large Waitrose (and other stores) roughly 5 minutes walk away along a safe footpath that is protected from the adjacent road by a thick hedgerow. The town centre, with everything else you could possibly wish for, is an easy and level walk away (approx 1/2 mile). This walk takes you through the large park and recreation ground opposite the RSC and is perfect dog-walking territory.

SECURITY - the site will not be open to the general public and will be covered by CCTV.

NIGGLES - a few issues have been raised elsewhere in the forum so I thought these were worth addressing. The pontoons are quite short and have flood poles with galvanised risers (like at Sawley). These risers do not yet have galvanised rings attached but this is planned. The risers are clamped to the poles in such a way that could cause a risk of scratch damage if hit (see photo). I believe these clamps will be wrapped/shielded to mitigate this risk. Safety equipment (eg access ladders from the water) is being fitted as part of the ongoing schedule of works.

This marina is not yet fully functioning so this was just a taster visit but you absolutely cannot fault the location and I would move here in a heartbeat when we have had enough of the Trent.

16578795566127766412523500609759.jpg

Edited by MrsM
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Prices are out there. The earlybird tariff is £4700 for a 58ft narrowboat. 50% more for a widebeam. 

Highly likely you would need an Avon navigation licence and a crt licence if you moored there  translates to "Only for the well heeled"

Yes it's expensive but my goodness how much is a night in a rubbish hotel/B&B in Stratford-upon-Avon? As I said in my review, it's not up and running yet. It's more expensive than my marina in Newark, Nottinghamshire but I'm not surprised and worth every penny if the location is one you are prepared to pay extra for. 

3 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Highly likely you would need an Avon navigation licence and a crt licence if you moored there  translates to "Only for the well heeled"

I suspect you'd need an Avon licence even if you never ventured out of the marina, but you wouldn't need a CRT licence if you were content to pootle between Alveston Weir and Tewksbury. Might be worth just getting a shorter term CRT licence ust for those times when you venture beyond the river.