Overgrown towpaths and moorings, blind bends by overgrowth.

Timx

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Only my personal priorities of course, however I'd much prefer CRT to be focussing on their "Let's not bother back pumping this year" policy.

Without water under you, The Coventry and Ashby Country Lanes won't need clear towpaths, everyone will be able to walk up the middle.

The same applies to The Trent & Mersey pathway and The Leeds & Liverpool Bridle Path.

After that they might take a rethink about gates and paddles.

We are a gnat's wing away from lock flights locked up except for a couple of hours a day.

It's a shock when you approach a flight and find moored boats as far back as a mile from the beginning and you realise that by this time tomorrow you might have only moved 20 or 30 lengths nearer.

Don't worry about hire boats though, they'll be alright, they tend to get priority under these situations.  Why?  Well they're on holiday aren't they?  Oh hang on so are we isn't that right?

Which flight is that with a one mile moored boat queue? 

11 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Which flight is that with a one mile moored boat queue? 

"We are a gnat's wing away from lock flights locked up except for a couple of hours a day."  

Suggests what is likely to happen based on previous experience.  The last time I recall was Napton around 2009'ish

• Sad 1

Slightly off topic:  Can I have your support for my new society?  Its for the preservation of those wild plants that like to grow immediately adjacent to the bases of bridges and block a clear line of sight for passage through.  It qualifies as a good society as it serves no particular good, inconveniences many, has no carbon footprint, and may encourage the residence of bats under the bridges.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

"We are a gnat's wing away from lock flights locked up except for a couple of hours a day."  

Suggests what is likely to happen based on previous experience.  The last time I recall was Napton around 2009'ish

Braunston in 2020 on a busy weekend when one lock of two parallel ones was closed. IIRC when we joined the back of the queue we were number 39, and more piled up behind us... 😞

Ever been Green Laneing?...the green lanes were traditional folk  thoroughfares from Saxon times ,at least,.......and free to traverse for all without let or hinderance .......very nice in the late 60s and early70s,for a leisurely ride on a proper English motorbike,before scrotes on Jap bikes wrecked everything.........if canals were turned to green lanes ,they would still be available for flood runoff ,and everyone would be happy.

On 15/07/2022 at 13:41, Loddon said:

Can somebody suggest a good way of keeping my paths free of weeds as apart from Glyphosate I can't find anything that works.

Dig them up, mow them short or if you really must, use a flame-weeder.  Or better still, re-lay your paths so that the weeds can't gain a foothold.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

When I reach a lock that has padlocks on and is in water I have no compunction to cutting the locks off. Done it on the Rochdale 9 twice because BW would not turn up on the appointed day to open the flight.

Well that is an admission of criminal damage! Or what CRT would call vandalism!

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Braunston in 2020 on a busy weekend when one lock of two parallel ones was closed

Parallel locks at Braunston??

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

When I reach a lock that has padlocks on and is in water I have no compunction to cutting the locks off. Done it on the Rochdale 9 twice because BW would not turn up on the appointed day to open the flight.

No need to cut them off on the Rochdale. If they are those combination locks many of us know the secret code......