How many days from ribble link to Kennet and Avon ?

narrowboatmike

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The CaRT stoppages database on their web site can be searched for planned current stoppages, unplanned current stoppages and planned future stoppages. A question for Richard Parry at his next "fraternise with the natives boaters" session is: When are you going to enable search by unplanned future stoppages? Much the most useful improvement they could make.

You'd have thought that announcing the dates of the unplanned closures would have been high up their list of things to do - particulary with such numbers :

Unplanned closure days 2019/20 = 347*

Unplanned closure days 2020/21 = 429*

*C&RTs own published figures. Excluding any closure logged as being due to "boater operator error or vanadalism" (or anything else claimed to be outwith their control)

14 minutes ago, narrowboatmike said:

Another question to ask ( only because this site is a great recourse  for answers) is

Apart from handcuff key, standard windlass and crt key, do we need any other type

of   metal object, ta , Mike

Apart from the boat, no! 

• Haha 1

On 14/07/2022 at 19:50, OldGoat said:

Umm - so may requests for 'how long' makes me wonder - has nobody ever tried CanalPlan?

Put together some years ago by entusiasts with  a lot more tham basic information.

Well that's one way to describe it

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes

Canals :

Goat chain

Mooring spike
Nappy Pins

Lump hammer

If going on the rivers :

Anchor

Anchor Chain

Thanks. of course we have anchor , moorings pins and log splitter, but not goat chain. Is the nappy pins a joke or is that slang for something else.

It's probably 'either or' on goat chain or nappy pins. Goat chains are the ones which can be passed behind the reinforcement on Armco piling, with one loop bigger than the other so the chain can be passed through the big loop and drawn up tight. Rope would tend to be frayed where it rubbed on the Armco. Nappy pins are slang for a type of hook which is designed to fit the piling reinforcement rail to which you attach your mooring rope.

Personally, the nappy pins never feel very secure as it doesn't go right around, whereas the chains do. I also find that for some reason I forget to recover nappy pins once I have taken the rope out (I think it's because the pin is out of sight down the side of the piling) whereas the chain is more visible on the bank so I remember it. For that reason we now have chains rather than nappy pins.

Alec

• Greenie 1

"Nappy pins" is a colloquial term for "piling hook" or "mooring hook", this kind of thing:

Image 1 - GALVANISED MOORING HOOK WITH RING FOR CANAL & RIVER PILING USE HEAVY DUTY 14MM

There's 2 different kinds: with or without the ring at the end. With the ring, its easier to pass the rope through and you can, with the right technique, 100% ensure it doesn't drop in the canal when you moor/unmoor by ensuring the rope is through the ring. With a goat chain, you need to fit the goat chain then pass the rope through, so there's a chance of dropping it into the canal.

I prefer nappy pins, I am not sure if they are quieter but I guess goat chains can be made quiet by making sure the boat is tightly tied, so no clanging through the night or when boats pass. Admittedly, there's some places where a goat chain is more flexible so it makes sense to have both. There's another design/shape of piling hook too:

Armco Hook Galvanised

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, agg221 said:

It's probably 'either or' on goat chain or nappy pins. Goat chains are the ones which can be passed behind the reinforcement on Armco piling, with one loop bigger than the other so the chain can be passed through the big loop and drawn up tight. Rope would tend to be frayed where it rubbed on the Armco. Nappy pins are slang for a type of hook which is designed to fit the piling reinforcement rail to which you attach your mooring rope.

Personally, the nappy pins never feel very secure as it doesn't go right around, whereas the chains do. I also find that for some reason I forget to recover nappy pins once I have taken the rope out (I think it's because the pin is out of sight down the side of the piling) whereas the chain is more visible on the bank so I remember it. For that reason we now have chains rather than nappy pins.

Alec

Thanks Alec, my wife thought it had something to do with fear, her reply when I asked her what she thought nappy pin meant'

was ''when yer crap yourself going across the Ribbe''  spoke in a north east acent. I nearly thought so too.

Just to throw another thought into this mix - you can of course get to the K&A from either end. The section of the Severn from Sharpness to Bristol is not trivial, but then neither is the Ribble Link so if you are set up for one you are probably set up for the other. It's not the ideal time of year to be catching good weather, but if you are not in a burning rush then you could potentially wait at Sharpness until the weather is right and then head down. It's not something I have done but plenty have, and with a pilot the general view appears to be that it's fine. The route down the SU and S&W is potentially less prone to stoppages (assuming you can get off the L&L) and it's then downstream on the Severn all the way, which is pretty quick.

Alec

1 hour ago, agg221 said:

Just to throw another thought into this mix - you can of course get to the K&A from either end. The section of the Severn from Sharpness to Bristol is not trivial, but then neither is the Ribble Link so if you are set up for one you are probably set up for the other. It's not the ideal time of year to be catching good weather, but if you are not in a burning rush then you could potentially wait at Sharpness until the weather is right and then head down. It's not something I have done but plenty have, and with a pilot the general view appears to be that it's fine. The route down the SU and S&W is potentially less prone to stoppages (assuming you can get off the L&L) and it's then downstream on the Severn all the way, which is pretty quick.

Alec

I my humble opinion, no way does being set up to do the Ribble Link equate to being set up for the Severn Estuary!  Unless you have a real desire to do the Severn Estuary, then I would personally avoid it, and hope that the South Oxford is going to be passable when you need to,  at least you have the choice of going the GU route when you get to Braunston or Napton. 

The other thing to bear in mind if you are leaving Tarleton in mid Sept, it will be October when you get to the Thames, and you could have issues with it being on red boards even though that seems funny to think about in the current situation.  In 2020 we were shuck, from I think the 3rd Oct, for 2 weeks in Abingdon while the Thames was on red.

This is the first mention I have seen here about the Ribble Link, it seemed that the IOP was just coming from Tarleton, in which case I did wonder how they stood for being allowed to go through Wigan, but if it is in conjunction with a Ribble Link booking then that would seem on the current situation to be OK.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

This is the first mention I have seen here about the Ribble Link, it seemed that the IOP was just coming from Tarleton, in which case I did wonder how they stood for being allowed to go through Wigan, but if it is in conjunction with a Ribble Link booking then that would seem on the current situation to be OK.

If they can't get through Wigan they could always cross the Mersey from Liverpool to Eastham.

Being a long term sea boater/liveaboard when my mate recently bought a NB we moved it from Reading to Northampton over 7 days, planned using Canalplan AC, what a brilliant resource. You can even do a photographic virtual tour of your route. All must have been a shed load of work to put together and maintain so a big thankyou to all who do that...

• Greenie 3

19 hours ago, john6767 said:

I my humble opinion, no way does being set up to do the Ribble Link equate to being set up for the Severn Estuary!  Unless you have a real desire to do the Severn Estuary, then I would personally avoid it, and hope that the South Oxford is going to be passable when you need to,  at least you have the choice of going the GU route when you get to Braunston or Napton. 

The other thing to bear in mind if you are leaving Tarleton in mid Sept, it will be October when you get to the Thames, and you could have issues with it being on red boards even though that seems funny to think about in the current situation.  In 2020 we were shuck, from I think the 3rd Oct, for 2 weeks in Abingdon while the Thames was on red.

No they are quite separate bookings and, at the moment, there is no requirement to go either to Liverpool or Ribble in order to book poolstock. There are plenty of moorings in between. It is also up to the boater to get to tarleton in time for their crossing.  

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

No they are quite separate bookings and, at the moment, there is no requirement to go either to Liverpool or Ribble in order to book poolstock. There are plenty of moorings in between. It is also up to the boater to get to tarleton in time for their crossing.  

Although it would appear to be the intention from the notice:

To enable boat movements to Ribble Link, Wigan Dry Dock, Liverpool Canal Link and Salthouse Dock, we will temporarily open Poolstock Locks 1 & 2 on the Leigh Branch and Lock 86 on the Leeds & Liverpool canal 2 days a week, for pre-arranged bookings only, as follows:

• Mondays, 10am and 2pm
  • Thursdays, 10am and 2pm

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

As quoted above that is not what the stoppage notice says, to me that reads as passage through Wigan is only for people who have one of the mentioned bookings, not for people going on a random cruise.  Of course the OP does not want to do this until mid Sept so the situation could be different by then, but right now you could not go this. Perhaps the cheat to to book the Ribble Link and then come back as a soon as possible then you would be allowed to go through Wigan!

23 minutes ago, john6767 said:

As quoted above that is not what the stoppage notice says, to me that reads as passage through Wigan is only for people who have one of the mentioned bookings, not for people going on a random cruise.  Of course the OP does not want to do this until mid Sept so the situation could be different by then, but right now you could not go this. Perhaps the cheat to to book the Ribble Link and then come back as a soon as possible then you would be allowed to go through Wigan!

Your interpretation may or may not be correct but since this is not a police state then passage through an open lock or system of locks ought not be dependent on travel to or via any particular point.

This year we have been from Fradely to Reading to Bristol and back north to Crooke  (2 days from the Ribble) including the Severn Estuary., K&A etc ED791A6A-DC0F-45D2-86F3-479F5566A41A.jpeg.51136120086f21ce5d46d2ae1c7132d4.jpegE19E0685-948E-45FF-8BC0-A82935E2126D.jpeg.92500354778b943339bae10e36e0892f.jpeg

Last year we went Fradely to Garstang via Harecastle etc.

Please find photos of rough  notes I make on journeys. Times are engine running only off for longish stops. Crew self and wife combined age 71. Speed we rarely overtake or get overtaken. 

This is as it actually happened. And you’ve got details for it all from both ends.

Hope you can decipher and it helps. 

PLEASE SEE NEXT POST FOR LAST SHEET

Last sheet of notes1D6BCAEF-33B7-414B-80B7-6E9AD5247786.jpeg.22a8ba5260425784421a62a88be61c5c.jpeg

• Greenie 1