How many days from ribble link to Kennet and Avon ?

narrowboatmike

Featured Posts

My wife and I are are cruising from Tarleton on the rufford arm of the Leeds and Liverpool to 

the Kennet and Avon. We will be leaving mid September. A question with many variables , I know

but does anyone know a ballpark/ football pitch idea of days involved. 57 foot narrowboat.

Thanks , Mike

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Aboiut three weeks ish at a steady day rate. Provided no hicups.

Two 'c' s in hiccups!

Try Canallplan AC, very comprehensive.

But optimistic on travel rate

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, narrowboatmike said:

Wow , thats quicker than I thought , thanks

Thats to Blakes lock area, just on to the K and A. You could do it quicker if you travel like a hire boater lol. Steady days and three weeks will suffice.

Just now, LadyG said:

Two 'c' s in hiccups!

:P

Umm - so may requests for 'how long' makes me wonder - has nobody ever tried CanalPlan?

Put together some years ago by entusiasts with  a lot more tham basic information.

Or is it me being a cynic - its so easier to post on fora and let someone else do the work??

Please say no...

--------------------------------------------

Murphy he say someone will point out the obvious (to us old grizzled boaters) in politer terms...

Edited by OldGoat
  • Greenie 3

Many thanks for the sujjestions

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

Umm - so may requests for 'how long' makes me wonder - has nobody ever tried CanalPlan?

Put together some years ago by entusiasts with  a lot more tham basic information.

Or is it me being a cynic - its so easier to post on fora and let someone else do the work??

Please say no...

I certainly intend to work it out for myself , but not tonight but being the impatient person I am 

I need to know a very rough idea so I have a christmas dinner cooked .

Some time it's more fun doing the research  than the actual cruising.

With someting like CanalPlan (is there anything else??) 'you' find a helluva lot more than you thought yo would need - which in the end makes the trip sooo much more enjoyable in retrospect..

Must be an age issue / years spent on cruising and finding out than having everything on aplate...

1 minute ago, Chris John said:

Total distance is 267 miles, 6¾ furlongs and 163 locks 

In a week? Good luck with that one 

Festina Lente is the best.

Perhaps proceed at moderate haste and  discover the scenery...

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Please say no...

Not cynical at all - its statement of fact.

"Just ask and someone will do the work for you"

Its the same if you say something like "the RCD says you cannot put an old engine in a new boat, & give section and paragraph number" and then you get "can you give a link to support that", Why not just look for yourself its just a simple google question.

or, recently a forum member posted a link to an article, and another member said "does it contain anything I need to know". lazy bu**er, if she wants a researcher / reader then she should pay someone to do it for her.

2 hours ago, Chris John said:

Total distance is 267 miles, 6¾ furlongs and 163 locks 

I haven't checked your data, but that is doable in two weeks if there aren't any stoppages.

6 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Allow for a minimum of 130 hours sailing.

You also need to bear in mind the current restrictions on Poolstock locks, Wigan. Passage needs pre-booking and is intended for Ribble Link/ Liverpool Link and Wigan dry dock passage only. This may change by September but the booking window extends to that month.

10 hours ago, PhilR said:

I haven't checked your data, but that is doable in two weeks if there aren't any stoppages.

I would agree with that at hire boat type cruising, as in all bloomin day lol. Enjoying the travel though and moving  6 to 8 hours a day though will take longer ( still too long each day )

@Nightwatchspeeds would take about three years ;)

• Haha 1

There are also cruising restrictions at the moment due to water shortages to take into account. 

But if the plan is to get here by xmas, those will probably have, um, evaporated by the time you need to set off. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Depends very much on how many hours you like to cruise for in a day. Some think an hour is enough, some go for 12. 

Probably 8 - 9 a day sometimes more sometimes less, always variables I guess, still, after doing the Rochdale in the rain 

ice and cold, and locks gates that sometimes take 3 people to open them. i'm hoping the trip may be a little easier.

54 minutes ago, MtB said:

There are also cruising restrictions at the moment due to water shortages to take into account. 

But if the plan is to get here by xmas, those will probably have, um, evaporated by the time you need to set off. 

We leave mid September and hopefully get there before end of October.

• Greenie 1

The CaRT stoppages database on their web site can be searched for planned current stoppages, unplanned current stoppages and planned future stoppages. A question for Richard Parry at his next "fraternise with the natives boaters" session is: When are you going to enable search by unplanned future stoppages? Much the most useful improvement they could make.

• Haha 2