Theft of bike from boat foiled by boater

canalboat

Featured Posts

As a warning to others mooring around Hillmorton:- This morning about 12.30am above top lock Hillmorton three men in early twenties took a bike out of the hold of an historic working boat. The boater who was in the back cabin heard the activity and followed the three towards middle Lock where they abandoned the bike and ran off along the road towards Hillmorton.  They were each dressed in black with black balaclavas - some white skin visible. So clearly a planned attempt rathe than a casual opportunity.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

As a warning to others mooring around Hillmorton:- This morning about 12.30am above top lock Hillmorton three men in early twenties took a bike out of the hold of an historic working boat. The boater who was in the back cabin heard the activity and followed the three towards middle Lock where they abandoned the bike and ran off along the road towards Hillmorton.  They were each dressed in black with black balaclavas - some white skin visible. So clearly a planned attempt rathe than a casual opportunity.

Not that well planned, or one of them would have mounted the bike and cycled off!

• Greenie 1

Someone tried to nick my bike off the roof on the Thames, I was in the shower at the time but he decided it wasnt the best idea when he  tried to get on to find the handle bars lose and no seat. Running was a better option.

Is there not a local scrote at Hillmorton who enjoys a five finger discount? Seem to recall a few posts on the Book of Face by moorers who have been disturbed at night whilst said bargain hunter goes about his nocturnal antics. Pretty sure he’s ON a bike though, not trying to liberate one.

Was it a nice bike? Or an e-bike? Thefts of these are on the up since covid.

We where on the Lee when I saw 2 lads steal a bike of the roof of a boat in front of us, lukily I had just pumped my bike tyres up. Lifted my bike out and set off after them they did not see me coming one was on the bike and one runnind along side I kicked the runner into the bike they fell over and scuttled away limping a fellow boater shouted at them and I wheeled the bike back to the owner.

• Greenie 3

20 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Someone tried to nick my bike off the roof on the Thames, I was in the shower at the time but he decided it wasnt the best idea when he  tried to get on to find the handle bars lose and no seat. Running was a better option.

When!, we had bikes onboard I used to twist the handlebars round to lay flat and take one of the pedals off for the same reason. Hadn’t thought of thieving Scrotes just getting then as flat as possible. 

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

When!, we had bikes onboard I used to twist the handlebars round to lay flat and take one of the pedals off for the same reason. Hadn’t thought of thieving Scrotes just getting then as flat as possible. 

I left the peddles but took the seat off to keep it dry, I don't like a wet arse.