Stourport?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

More importantly,  has the Cross Keys still got fake hand pumps on the bar that actually dispense keg beer?   

I haven't been in for a few years since I discovered this treachery! 

I must admit it was a Stella Artois day for me.
I didn’t try the ale. 🤷‍♀️
They had Hobgoblin Gold and Doom Bar on I think, I’ve not much of a liking for either. 

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

They had Hobgoblin Gold and Doom Bar on I think, I’ve not much of a liking for either.

A man of obvious taste and discernment.

(And a good chap to have around when one's boat is stuck in THAT BLOODY LOCK at Sloowit. Remind me to tell you about our adventure there sometime)

44 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

A man of obvious taste and discernment.

(And a good chap to have around when one's boat is stuck in THAT BLOODY LOCK at Sloowit. Remind me to tell you about our adventure there sometime)

That was a long shitty rainy day for you. 

Wish you’d seen that stretch in the sunshine and all its glory. 

Next time eh? 😃

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

😃

Where you are, don’t tell me they don’t know what a bread cob is. 
Nuneaton, Bedworth and Coventry is all cobland. 

I was born in Lancashire, lived there until I was 8, then lived in Surrey until i moved to Staffordshire when I was 60.

22 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

The pound between Stewponey and Hyde Locks is my favourite in the whole system.

Kinver has a lot going for it, a model engineers railway offering rides to the public on certain days and Bathams beer (the beer of the gods) at the Plough & Harrow.

Kidderminster has the Severn Valley Railway (and more Bathams at the SVR station and at the other end too)

I agree in fact the whole canal is one of my favourites so much to see and enjoy all along the canal starting with Tixal wide and ending with Stourport itself, even going through Kidderminster is fine and not a bad town. Stourport Basin is full of atmosphere and ghosts of the past.  I used to stay sometimes for work in the 80's in Stourport and often went for a drink at the Tontine in the Basin and enjoy the view. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

Bet you a beef cob it is!

18 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Nuneaton, Bedworth and Coventry is all cobland. 

You can draw a straight(ish) line that connects the centres of three those towns/cities and if you marked the midpoint on it you’d be fairly close to my childhood home, yet I disagree.

I’m sure folk there would recognise the description of a cob as a crusty bread roll but generically the bread roll is called a batch in those parts of Warwickshire.

Go to the chippy near Newbold moorings and they will sell you a chip batch as opposed to a chip butty.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, churchward said:

even going through Kidderminster is fine and not a bad town

Boating through Kidderminster used to be magic. Tall factories bordered the canal throughout, and the only locals you saw were the chaps on a fag break from the factories. The main road bridge below the lock had houses and shops on both sides, and drivers and pedestrians would be unaware of the canal beneath them. Above the lock the town wharf had warehouses built into the bank below the churchyard. It was all an entirely secret world. Now it is just another undistinguished bit of urban canal.

• Greenie 1

Rising sun stourport best cobs ever great beer too and it's on canal . Best butchers top of high st Stephen Snape .Best chip shop next door to Rising Sun . Best Chinese Cannan York st . Currently in Chester enroute to Warwick via Stourport 😎

• Greenie 1

I'm currently going down the same way for the first time.

Agreed that the pound above Hyde lock is really beautiful.

What's wrong with the Vine? I was outside it earlier, looked well kept, lots of happy gongoozlers on the terrace.

Three separate people have told me not to stop overnight in Kidderminster, two of them having had windows broken there in the last few weeks. I'm going to take their advice...

A walk right round Wolverley into the village is lovely as well as the church, the Queens Head used to be good as well as the Lock. 

Dont forget to look in the sandstone "room/cave " at Debdale lock, Im not sure what it was used for, possibly horses for the canal but its not on the towpath side? its fun to imagine. Grade 2 listed I believe 

Theres a few charity shops on the main street in Stourport, as well as a well stocked huntin shootin and fishin shop just up from York Street Lock. Worth looking at the plaque commemorating Holt Abbott just before York Street lock opposite to where he built most of his boats. 

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is it still the same, I think it was changing hands last time I passed

In fairness the Vine might have improved, which would have been easy to do.

THE VINE PUBLIC HOUSE, Kinver - Restaurant Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor 

Edited by Laurie Booth

On 13/07/2022 at 09:46, Goliath said:

It’s cobs all across the Midlands.

I found the other day the Cross Keys Penkridge do good crusty cobs. 😋 

And the Swan at Brewood are top notch for their Pork Pies. 🤤 

All the tips for places to visit are getting noted, thanks again.👍

Not all cobs are cobs.