Stourport?

Featured Posts

I’m in a mind to go down to Stourport in a few weeks from now. 
I don’t think I’ve been further down the Staff and Worcester than the turn for the Stourbridge Canal. 

So simply; is there anything along that stretch down to Stourport I should keep an eye out for?

Villages that are a must to visit? Anything of Historic value that stands out?

I’m pretty good at sniffing out the pubs but any pointers are very welcome.
A good butchers is always a nice find for instance. Along with laundrettes and charity shops 😃

If the weather is in my favour, I’ll probably end up going onto the River Severn. I dare say I’ll quiz about that when the time comes. 

Thanks 👍

Edited by Goliath

Lock inn at Wolverley. Stop above the lock, but it'll likely be busy this time of year, especially as it's quite cool and shady along there.

Or stop near bridge 26 and walk up to the anchor at caunsall. It's a good drinking pub, food is only cobs but they have a good reputation.

Avoid the Vine at all costs.

Kinver is a good spot to visit.

Fish and chips in Stourport we found the best ones were in a shop away from the river frontage.

The pound between Stewponey and Hyde Locks is my favourite in the whole system.

Kinver has a lot going for it, a model engineers railway offering rides to the public on certain days and Bathams beer (the beer of the gods) at the Plough & Harrow.

Kidderminster has the Severn Valley Railway (and more Bathams at the SVR station and at the other end too)

Another vote for the Lock Inn, Wolverley: Good food and beer at reasonable prices with moorings above and below the lock.

A walk up Kinver Edge is worth while, with a visit to the cave houses.

There's a good laundrette in Stourport 

Decent butchers in Kinver last time we were there.  Another in Stourport.  The Hollybush'.. Good real ale pub on the road between the Black Star and Tesco.  Avoid the tourist traps by the riverside.

Decent chippy just up the road from Dizzy Dolly laundryette.

Waterworks pumping station at Bratch is worth a visit, if it is open again

Wolverley is small, but worth the walk up to the village. Good views from round the church.

N

Stop just before Cookley Tunnel (or just after, as I do with a smallish boat) and walk up to the road.  Village centre is just a couple of hundred yards.  Cookley Fisheries is among the finest fish and chip shops and there are two good pubs, the Bull's Head and the Eagle and Spur.

4 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

Stop just before Cookley Tunnel (or just after, as I do with a smallish boat) and walk up to the road.  Village centre is just a couple of hundred yards.  Cookley Fisheries is among the finest fish and chip shops and there are two good pubs, the Bull's Head and the Eagle and Spur.

Yep and an Indian takeaway. Check your change and the price you have been charged.

5 hours ago, gatekrash said:

Lock inn at Wolverley. Stop above the lock, but it'll likely be busy this time of year, especially as it's quite cool and shady along there.

Or stop near bridge 26 and walk up to the anchor at caunsall. It's a good drinking pub, food is only cobs but they have a good reputation.

Avoid the Vine at all costs.

Kinver is a good spot to visit.

Fish and chips in Stourport we found the best ones were in a shop away from the river frontage.

Yep the Vine is a must to avoid, which is a great pity.

Wolverley definitely worth exploring,  look for the footpath cut through the rock up to the church. 

Don't miss the Cross Inn as you walk into Kinver,  it's on the left up Church lane after crossing the river.  Great selection of beer and cider and open all day. 

Heritage aspects are still quite common. This was a canal built under the supervision of James Brindley down from the summit level to Stourport, taking in part of the river Stour navigation and diverting that section of new river around it. There is a similarity of some lock chambers with the early sections of the Trent & Mersey and there is still a Brindley two lock riser on this waterway. Thomas Dadford reconstructed Bratch. Stouport still has some heitage structures although the reoponed Mart Lane Basin has modern housing around it. Look out for the distinctive bridge plates. When the canal opened for traffic it did so in sections from Stourport up to Wolverhampton and later still to Great Hayward.

As a local, I disagree with comments about the Vine at Kinver. It’s now under new management, they have worked hard to turn things around. Yes, the Cross is well worth a visit and Hartlands butchers and the bakery, both on the High Street, are worth patronising. Further on, the Anchor at Caunsall is excellent for decent beer and wonderful cobs. The whole stretch from Stewponey down is delightful.

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That'll confuse both the Southerners (rolls) and the Northerners (barm cakes)

In the Black Country and thereabouts they are cobs and they are very good, much much better than a mere cheese roll.

18 minutes ago, dmr said:

In the Black Country and thereabouts they are cobs and they are very good, much much better than a mere cheese roll.

It’s cobs all across the Midlands.

I found the other day the Cross Keys Penkridge do good crusty cobs. 😋 

And the Swan at Brewood are top notch for their Pork Pies. 🤤 

All the tips for places to visit are getting noted, thanks again.👍

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

It’s cobs all across the Midlands.

I found the other day the Cross Keys Penkridge do good crusty cobs. 😋 

And the Swan at Brewood are top notch for their Pork Pies. 🤤 

All the tips for places to visit are getting noted, thanks again.👍

More importantly,  has the Cross Keys still got fake hand pumps on the bar that actually dispense keg beer?   

I haven't been in for a few years since I discovered this treachery! 

Not been for more than 10 years round that end. The Angel was always an absolute must. It had great beer and cider, no kids and even better no food, just cobs for sale. Always was busy and lots of atmosphere. I spose like many its now a cafe serving meals and kids??  Pleeeeeese tell me its still a proper pub??

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And, I bet you have crumpets and not (the proper named) "Pikelets"

She is of course correct. those of us born in the largest county know that the terms are indeed, Bread cakes and crumpets. I put Cobs on my previous post so suvverners would understand.

Edited by mrsmelly
muppetry