Canal Scene - Any ideas where?

LEO

Featured Posts

I was given this print about 25 years ago and wonder if anyone knows where it is.

Titled 'Tranquillity', it is by Alan Ingham, No.516/600, the butty in the foreground is named Serpens, not sure of the second one, the nb moored looks a conventional canal boat. I suspect the picture dates from about 1990......... If anyone has an photo of the scene I would be interested to see it.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4320.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4310.JPG

From 1968 to the early 80s Serpens was used as butty to the Jason's Trip tripboat in London. It was later shortened to 60 ft and used as a trip boat on the Mon and Brec. Serpens was then relengthened using the original side plate, and as far as I know is still unconverted.

The other butty appears to be small Woolwich Moon, which has been converted since 1998.

I suspect this may not be a genuine scene which once existed, and that the boats, or at least their names, may be artistic licence.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, LEO said:

IMG_4317.JPG

I was given this print about 25 years ago and wonder if anyone knows where it is.

Titled 'Tranquillity', it is by Alan Ingham, No.516/600, the butty in the foreground is named Serpens, not sure of the second one, the nb moored looks a conventional canal boat. I suspect the picture dates from about 1990......... If anyone has an photo of the scene I would be interested to see it.

L1983_20130319_0271s.jpg.d3822feb236edd4230d4528f342a510e.jpg

Storehouse Bridge Winding Hole  Mon&Brec - a view from 2013

• Greenie 2

Thanks for all the input, I did wonder if it was somewhere down there, it would seem artistic licence has taken over, I see it is just off the A40, I might 'buzz' down for a look. Wonder if those 2 boats did end up there?.

Once again, thanks....

Mike.

1 hour ago, Ogwr said:

I recall an article in W,W, concerning Alan Picken  and an illustration or picture?  of this scene was used

Thanks, do you recall how long ago?...........

5 hours ago, Ogwr said:

I recall an article in W,W, concerning Alan Picken  and an illustration or picture?  of this scene was used

WW200610-p104s.jpg.afc4f2d4ddeb13205e1a8b5aadbbc18d.jpg

From WW Oct 2006 p104 in answer to a question in WW Sep2006 p108 from PeterWall of Ashtead in Surrey who had bought a print of the picture from a Surbiton shop in 2004

On 12/07/2022 at 15:50, David Mack said:

From 1968 to the early 80s Serpens was used as butty to the Jason's Trip tripboat in London. It was later shortened to 60 ft and used as a trip boat on the Mon and Brec. Serpens was then relengthened using the original side plate, and as far as I know is still unconverted.

The other butty appears to be small Woolwich Moon, which has been converted since 1998.

I suspect this may not be a genuine scene which once existed, and that the boats, or at least their names, may be artistic licence.

Serpens  in it's "Jasons Trip" livery in Little Venice in 1968

1310612744_SerpensLittleVenice.jpg.4c1726a62c2ed01bdfb55071276da5f4.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2