Canal charity provides guidance for boaters as temperatures soar

Ray T

Featured Posts

CRT Press Release

11th July 2022

CANAL CHARITY PROVIDES GUIDANCE FOR BOATERS AS TEMPERATURES SOAR

Following the UK Health Security Agency issuing heat-health alerts across most of the country as temperatures rise this week, the Canal & River Trust is asking boaters to stay safe and alerting them to some of the problems extreme heat causes for the 250-year-old waterways.

The hot, dry summers have a significant impact on the charity’s water resources, with the very low rainfall so far this year sadly resulting in a number of restrictions and closures. The Trust is asking boaters, with the help of volunteer lock keepers, to be even more careful than usual to conserve water. Boaters can help by sharing locks where possible and making sure paddles are fully closed after use.

The Trust’s swing bridges and other moveable structures are vulnerable in a heatwave, with extreme heat causing expansion of the materials which at worst will cause them to become stuck. The Trust is asking boaters to be careful when using them and to report any problems via the ‘Contact Us’ page of the charity’s website.

The hot weather is also likely to cause an increase in weed growth which can make navigating difficult and in some cases leave stretches of waterway impassable. The Trust’s teams are on standby to address the task of clearing the weed, which can multiply dramatically when the conditions are right.

Summer is one of the most popular times for people to go boating, and millions more come to visit Britain’s canals and rivers. While it may be tempting to get in the water, shallow water and obstructions beneath the surface can cause injury if people jump in. Deeper water around docks and locks will be very cold, even in the summer, which could cause cold water shock. The Trust is urging everyone to stay out of the water and is reminding boaters to be alert to any people who may not be following this advice and who may be in the water and harder to spot when maneuvering a boat.

The heat-health alert means people are at greater risk of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Boaters are advised to stay hydrated and find shade where they can, particularly during the hottest parts of the day.

Matthew Symonds, national boating manager at Canal & River Trust, explains: “Spending time boating is a lovely way to spend a summer’s day. However heatwaves can be dangerous, particularly for those with health conditions, older people and children. We want to make sure boaters enjoy the waterways safely this summer and take sensible precautions in the heat.

“The extreme temperatures bring a whole host of challenges, from low water levels to blankets of weeds and potential for failures of some of our moveable structure and bridges, which we’ll be out every day tackling. We’re asking boaters to work with us on saving water and we thank people for their patience.

“It’s also important that people, especially children and teenagers, are aware of the dangers of cooling off by going for a dip. The consequences can be devastating. If boaters do want to swim outside, they can find a nearby open water swimming club by visiting our website.”

Contact the Trust: canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us

To find out more about summer safety for boaters, visit: canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/water-safety-tips-for-boaters/summer-water-safety-tips-for-boaters

Details on the heat-health alert and advice on how to stay safe in the heat are available here: www.gov.uk/government/news/heat-health-alert-issued-by-the-uk-health-security-agency

-ends-

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

I wonder if we're heading for a repeat of the wonderful summer of 1976. I do hope so.

I wasn't boating at that time so I don't know if the long, hot summer caused any disruption on the canals. Perhaps some of our more experienced members will remember.

C&RT must be secretly clapping their hands with excitement.

Moveable structures to stiff to move - jammed - its all this extra heat

Masses of weed clogging the waterways - its all this extra heat

Low water levels - its all this extra heat.

Couldn't have come at a better time for them, the excuses will be just in time for when the DEFRA grant renewal is to be announced.

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

I wonder if we're heading for a repeat of the wonderful summer of 1976. I do hope so.

I wasn't boating at that time so I don't know if the long, hot summer caused any disruption on the canals. Perhaps some of our more experienced members will remember.

I bet the cricket pitches suited the batting side that summer! 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

.....long, hot summer caused any disruption on the canals. Perhaps some of our more experienced members will remember.

Broadly the canal  system, apart from the Staffs and Worcs and the Shroppie shut down to about 2 hours a day.  Good ole Barnhurst and the piddling folks of Wolverhampton. The BCN was not quite as restricted.   The Severn locks  were also time or number of blockages  limited, as was the Thames IIRC. 

There were nothing like as many, or as big back pump schemes then as now.  Simple systems at Buckby,  Stoke Bruerne, Cosgrove,  up from Warwick to Blue Lias or maybe Wigrams  and from Fenny to Tring.

We hired from Gloucester in September and managed to get to the first winding hole on the Stratford , and back in the week.  Then the gubbinsment appointed a Minister for Drought, and the heavens opened.

N

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I remember hiring from UCC at Braunston in early July 1976  and being advised to do the Warwickshire Ring another routes had low water levels. Lock passages were restricted and you were advised to wait 30 minutes for another boat on the wide GU locks.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
  • Greenie 1

My Dad had a boat moored at Knowle locks at the time, and I remember when The lock keeper, Bob Knight, fired up the backpump by the bottom lock. A twin cylinder bolinder semi diesel, originally installed in a Regents Canal tug, it was installed at Knowle when the locks were widened in the 30s. There was a wide belt drive off the flywheel down to a centrifugal pump located in a pit below canal level. It hadn't run for years, but Bob fired it up, and you could hear it from several fields away. It was so successful that BW replaced it with an electric motor, driving the original pump. The Bolinder is now in Stoke Bruerne museum.

Edited by David Mack

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

My Dad had a boat moored at Knowle locks at the time, and I remember when The lock keeper, Bob Knight, fired up the backpump by the bottom lock. A twin cylinder bolinder semi diesel, originally installed in a Regents Canal tug, it was installed at Knowle when the locks were widened in the 30s. There was a wide belt drive off the flywheel down to a centrifugal pump located in a pit below canal level. It hadn't run for years, but Bob fired it up, and you could hear it from several fields away. It was so successful that BW replaced it with an electric motor, driving the original pump. The Bolinder is now in Stoke Bruerne museum.

Ellesmere Port, well it was in 2017. Has it been moved?

DSCF3494.JPG

DSCF3495.JPG

Edited by Ray T

My first canal holiday was at Easter in 1976, from Cosgrove to Fenny Compton. GU locks were open between 10AM and 4PM,, but where there was a flight, you had to be out of it by 4, so last entry was earlier. Not appreciating this, we got stuck at Whilton bottom lock when we turned up at 3.30 having left the pub at 3.00,  only to find the last lock entrance had been at 3.00. So we were stuck between the M1 and the main line railway until 10.00 the following day. Opening hours on the Southern Oxford Napton flight  were 12 noon to 2PM.  We had to plan our route with military precision to reach a lock-free pound by closing time each day to make any progress, which meant no more pub lunches.  Even the single shallow lock at Cosgrove was padlocked, so we couldn't access the aqueduct to get to the Wolverton pound on our last day, as we had to return our boats by 9.30AM. 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My first canal holiday was at Easter in 1976, from Cosgrove to Fenny Compton. GU locks were open between 10AM and 4PM,, but where there was a flight, you had to be out of it by 4, so last entry was earlier. Not appreciating this, we got stuck at Whilton bottom lock when we turned up at 3.30 having left the pub at 3.00,  only to find the last lock entrance had been at 3.00. So we were stuck between the M1 and the main line railway until 10.00 the following day. Opening hours on the Southern Oxford Napton flight  were 12 noon to 2PM.  We had to plan our route with military precision to reach a lock-free pound by closing time each day to make any progress, which meant no more pub lunches.  Even the single shallow lock at Cosgrove was padlocked, so we couldn't access the aqueduct to get to the Wolverton pound on our last day, as we had to return our boats by 9.30AM. 

Similarly when we had a share boat it got stuck above Devises somewhere and we did a handover in a farm that the previous co owner owner had moored against the night before and searched out the farmer for permission. Claydon was another often on short time