BMC Captain 1500

Ben Geutskens

Featured Posts

I have a Newage BMC Captain marine engine in my boat, 38 HP, 1500 cc, engine # 15 BB VD 3170, compr. Ratio  23:1, 1973/74.
I want to buy another engine for spare parts, the id plate reads BMC JL15P/785A/D 223 C, it is 38 HP, 1500 cc, 1978. On the engine there is a cast text reading 1500 D. I cannot find what Model D means, just Diesel?

Does anyone happen to know if we are talking about more or less the same engine in the light of using the 1978 model for spare parts?

D for diesel.

Same base engine. What spare parts are you after because all these engines are now old and will have been well used. Unless you are lucky to get a very low mileage one you may be better buying new parts which are still freely available

In any case a push rod and a rocker adjustment bolt for exhaust valve #4 as the clearance is 1 - 1.8 mm after one season again and again (annual readjustment! Looks like the hardened surface has disappeared because the lubricating hole in the rocker bold was previously clogged.

In addition, I'll never know what I need in future. No spare parts means a new engine in an old boat of an old skipper.  Better safe than sorry, especially when the engine is just a few hundred box.

12 minutes ago, Ben Geutskens said:

In any case a push rod and a rocker adjustment bolt for exhaust valve #4 as the clearance is 1 - 1.8 mm after one season again and again (annual readjustment! Looks like the hardened surface has disappeared because the lubricating hole in the rocker bold was previously clogged.

In addition, I'll never know what I need in future. No spare parts means a new engine in an old boat of an old skipper.  Better safe than sorry, especially when the engine is just a few hundred box.

There has been a recurring problem with rocker adjusting screws wearing prematurely thought to be a third party maker producing rubbish parts. The push rod should be replaced as well in case the oil feed is blocked. Check the rockers and rocker shaft too for blocked oil holes.

Cam and cam followers are also subject to heavy wear if the oil is not changed at the correct intervals.

35 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Check the rockers and rocker shaft too for blocked oil holes.

Yes, if the rocker bearing or the shaft wears all the oil leaks from there, and it seems the oil hole in the rocker is blocked. Maybe more of  a problem on an A series engine but I have known it on 1.5Ds