Ronnie Wood

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Wood#Personal_life

Who knew this, I certainly didn’t. Seeing him interviewed on the BBC last weekend was fascinating. His parents were working boaters, one born on Antelope, the other on Orient, apparently.

Yes indeed, I have heard that before. He's a most interesting fellow.

32 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I wonder why it was felt necessary to cancel it?

Because all those involved in the programme had to sign a secrecy agreement to keep quiet until after the programme airing and one person didn't.

Usual requirement for this show.

There are others who know more about this than me.

Edited by Ray T

10 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Because all those involved in the programme had to sign a secrecy agreement to keep quiet until after the programme airing and one person didn't.

As the whole list of subjects is released at the beginning of each series, that seems odd.

If it had been 'This Is Your Life', it would have made more sense.

Yes, a most readable book - and written, I'd guess, during the era when Woody's forebears worked on the boats, so the use of the term is probably historically accurate.

I'm not so sure about "bargees", though.

I believe he may have connections with one of our members, Jeanette Smith Harrison.  Possibly a relative.  I seem to remember her telling of how he pushed her into the canal, when they were children.  Hopefully I have that right.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

I seem to remember her telling of how he pushed her into the canal, when they were children.  Hopefully I have that right.

It's something Jeanette has never forgiven him for   😃

Tam

• Greenie 1

From my associations with some boaters I have discovered if you call them “Water gipsies” to their face, you may need an appointment with a plastic surgeon for a nose job or a dental appointment for some front teeth. 😄

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

I believe he may have connections with one of our members, Jeanette Smith Harrison.  Possibly a relative.  I seem to remember her telling of how he pushed her into the canal, when they were children.  Hopefully I have that right.

Jeanette's post about this......

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Ray T said:

The BBC programme "Who do you think you are" were going to feature him a while ago but someone "let the cat out of the bag" prior to production and this episode was cancelled.

19 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

I wonder why it was felt necessary to cancel it?

19 hours ago, Ray T said:

There are others who know more about this than me.

Where did you get that from Ray? The press releases at the time stated that his family background was so complicated that they could not cover it adequatelly in one programme. Of course that could have been a cover up for someone "spilling the beans"

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

The press releases at the time stated that his family background was so complicated that they could not cover it adequatelly in one programme. Of course that could have been a cover up for someone "spilling the beans"

That does sound a lame excuse. After all, it's the twists and turns of family history which provide the interest inj the series. A straightforward, uneventful family tree would not make a watchable show.

On 12/07/2022 at 10:32, David Schweizer said:

Where did you get that from Ray? The press releases at the time stated that his family background was so complicated that they could not cover it adequatelly in one programme. Of course that could have been a cover up for someone "spilling the beans"

This discussion is a add on to a thread on one of the face book sites from a few weeks back. Ray is correct in his facts some of it was told to him by myself = i was contacted & asked if i would help as most of you know i have connections with the Wood's not only on my Grandad's side but also on my Nanny's side as her Brother also married into the Woods. where or how they knew this i never did find out . I was asked to sign a contract i will attempt to add a copy of said before i signed .i was filmed a few times in locations in & around Cowley/West Drayton (when my Grandparents came off the boats they settled along with several other boating family in the Yeiwsley/West Drayton area . )  

102_6320.JPG

• Greenie 1

On BBC1 (I think), at least on the 'on demand' bit of BBC, there has been a four part series on the Rolling Stones where four of the members are interviewed in the present day, recounting their pasts and experiences. Starts with Mick Jagger, then Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood (in which he recounts his childhood; parents steering the boats; and supping tea in the back cabin. He's what my Mum would have called 'a bit of a live wire') The fourth episode was about Charlie Watts. Interesting bloke. Brian Jones was spoken of, though curiously Bill Wyman was never mentioned by any of them.

Edited by Derek R.

2 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

On BBC1 (I think), at least on the 'on demand' bit of BBC, there has been a four part series on the Rolling Stones where four of the members are interviewed in the present day, recounting their pasts and experiences. Starts with Mick Jagger, then Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood (in which he recounts his childhood; parents steering the boats; and supping tea in the back cabin. He's what my Mum would have called 'a bit of a live wire') The fourth episode was about Charlie Watts. Interesting bloke. Brian Jones was spoken of, though curiously Bill Wyman was never mentioned by any of them.

This is why I made the original post.