Stourbridge Locks - any help available?

Kendorr

Featured Posts

Anyone know if there is any help for solo boater going down the Stourbridge locks? I'm going to be doing them tomorrow after also doing the Delph Locks and the temperature could be a bit of a concern.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

6 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Vollys where on this Friday. But very easy to do by yourself if dropping down onto the river. 2 boats can pass just outside the dry Dock pound if need be with a bit of a shuffle. 

Are we talking about the same locks? I'm looking at the 16 Stourbridge locks on the Stourbridge Canal.

13 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Are we talking about the same locks? I'm looking at the 16 Stourbridge locks on the Stourbridge Canal.

No. Sorry they are still easy. Do you need to do all 16 in a day. Ru on a schedule. It's forecasted to be in the low thirties tomorrow. Could u not break the trip stop at kinver. 

They are quite hard locks to work let alone single hand, not least because they are deep locks. Not one for a very hot day unless you do Delph early and perhaps wait until later for Stourbridge. There are however places you can moor on the Stourbridge flight. Failing that just do Delph tomorrow and moor either in the arm above the top lock or below the bottom lock. Not much in the way of desirable mooring between the two, which is only about 45 minutes cruise.

Never been concerned about being able to pass another boat at Stourbridge.

5 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

No. Sorry they are still easy. Do you need to do all 16 in a day. Ru on a schedule. It's forecasted to be in the low thirties tomorrow. Could u not break the trip stop at kinver. 

By the time he reaches Kinver he has completed the Stourbridge flight.

I find Delph hard work going downhill as they are deep and not easy to stop to close the gates so end up walking back from the next lock to close up.  Also given the depth sometimes I am put off stepping across the gates.

13 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

There are however places you can moor on the Stourbridge flight.

Can you give any indication where please? I've never done this stretch before.

I'm not on a schedule, but have been advised that there is nowhere suitable to stop or break the journey up.

2 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

I'm not on a schedule, but have been advised that there is nowhere suitable to stop or break the journey up.

A number of the pounds are large enough although you may not think they all look particularly salubrious. You can definitely moor opposite the Redhouse glass cone between locks 12 and 13 and you could probably get away with leaving it on their offside mooring if you visit first or last thing in the day. That's providing it hasn't become too overgrown this summer. Above the double locks 9 and 10 is another option and it is half way. There's also a fabulous view from above those locks. I can't guarantee the pounds won't lose water but you can check that for yourself. There is quite a lot of foot traffic which some prefer and other's don't when it comes to mooring.

• Greenie 1

There is usually a fairly young chap about the sixteen.  He lives in sheltered accommodation nearby and is quite happy to help with gates and paddles.  He has his own windlass and is better at waiting for a signal to wind than many official vollies.

I usually give him a brew when we are making a wet and/or beer or two on finishing which he is very appreciative of, and will take the beer  back to his accommodation as he doesn't do beer  and helping.

N

28 minutes ago, BEngo said:

There is usually a fairly young chap about the sixteen.  He lives in sheltered accommodation nearby and is quite happy to help with gates and paddles.  He has his own windlass and is better at waiting for a signal to wind than many official vollies.

I usually give him a brew when we are making a wet and/or beer or two on finishing which he is very appreciative of, and will take the beer  back to his accommodation as he doesn't do beer  and helping.

N

Sounds like John, he was around when we came up at Easter.  He let us continue as there was the 2 of us and went to help the single hander going down.

3 hours ago, Kendorr said:

I have overnighted several times at the top of the Stourbridge flight. I wouldn't call the John I met on there young, but he is good, he wont get in your way. I always gave him a couple of bottles of beer, but last time I went down I found out he doesn't drink. He is a member of the Dudley canal trust.

Edited by ditchcrawler

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have overnighted several times at the top of the Stourbridge flight. I wouldn't call the John I met on there young, but he is good, he wont get in your way. I always gave him a couple of bottles of beer, but last time I went down I found out he doesn't drink. He is a member of the Dudley canal trust.

I wasn't sure what age he was being compared to.