Water prediction coming true.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

We've just spent 11 weeks in Belgium & France on the boat, had 3 days of rain in that time,  10 years ago or maybe a bit more we moved Bee to France, for the first 5 years water shortge and closures were rare and occured in late summer. The last 5 years closures have become normal, this year there are half a dozen canals in trouble/closed. 3 years ago we were at Chalons en Champagne and it was 43 deg, C This year it was 41 deg C . This year we tied for the day in shade and I was aware of an ajoining  wheatfield being combined and I reckoned that if that field caught fire we would be OK as we were on a long pound and could go either way to escape. Champagne vineyards are buying land in Kent as it is too hot now in for vines in parts of central France. This has become the new normal, coming to a canal/river near you. Never mind, tax cuts and growth, growth, growth will fix it. I'm not a worrier but......

• Horror 1

51 minutes ago, Bee said:

We've just spent 11 weeks in Belgium & France on the boat, had 3 days of rain in that time,  10 years ago or maybe a bit more we moved Bee to France, for the first 5 years water shortge and closures were rare and occured in late summer. The last 5 years closures have become normal, this year there are half a dozen canals in trouble/closed. 3 years ago we were at Chalons en Champagne and it was 43 deg, C This year it was 41 deg C . This year we tied for the day in shade and I was aware of an ajoining  wheatfield being combined and I reckoned that if that field caught fire we would be OK as we were on a long pound and could go either way to escape. Champagne vineyards are buying land in Kent as it is too hot now in for vines in parts of central France. This has become the new normal, coming to a canal/river near you. Never mind, tax cuts and growth, growth, growth will fix it. I'm not a worrier but......

I have read that France is expecting a big reduction in its wheat harvest due to the lack of rainfall? The wine production was also hit by late frosts like last year, if people don't believe that climate change is happening they must have bloody big blinkers is all I can say 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

How can he be a CCer with a home mooring

Because he is not trying to bend the rules. And has now no control over his cruising range.

I renewed my licence today and am wondering if I made the right decision in view of all the restrictions.  I have a CaRT licence and a CaRT mooring permit but cannot do any proper boating............

20 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Because he is not trying to bend the rules. And has now no control over his cruising range.

I renewed my licence today and am wondering if I made the right decision in view of all the restrictions.  I have a CaRT licence and a CaRT mooring permit but cannot do any proper boating............

I suppose if I can't get home I can cash in the mooring permit. But I'm halfway round the ring already (Middlewich)) so even if I do my gig tomorrow it gives me a week to get to the Harecastle.

Anyone doing one mph on the Shroppie this week is going to get overtook. One week's notice is ridiculous. I'm too damn old for twelve hour days.

The bit I found interesting was where they said that even when the locks both side of it were padlocked, you could still go through the Harecastle. Bet that'll be really, really busy.

PS I was already wondering if this was my last boating year...

8 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Although he has a home mooring he can't get back to it for the foreseeable future 🙂 It could be autumn depending on rainfall.

Gonna have a damn good try...

8 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Although he has a home mooring he can't get back to it for the foreseeable future 🙂 It could be autumn depending on rainfall.

But a CCer is a boat without a home mooring, he has one, maybe he cant get there.

Have I missed a stoppage beweek lock 36 and 29, or are they just closing when the Stoke ones do? The deluge of notices is confusing me.

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But a CCer is a boat without a home mooring, he has one, maybe he cant get there.

I moor on the lower Macc, am currently in Middlewich. I may or may not make it round the ring in time to get home.

36 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Have I missed a stoppage beweek lock 36 and 29, or are they just closing when the Stoke ones do? The deluge of notices is confusing me.

I moor on the lower Macc, am currently in Middlewich. I may or may not make it round the ring in time to get home.

The latest notice...

This notice supersedes previous notices for the Caldon and Trent and Mersey canals.

Despite some recent rainfall, there has been no significant impact on our reservoir holdings that supply the Trent & Mersey and Caldon Canals as this has been absorbed into an already dry landscape. In order to protect our infrastructure and the wildlife that inhabit these waterways, we will be implementing closures on the lock flights below:

Trent & Mersey Canal

Lock 41 to Lock 71 will remain closed

Passage through Lock 40 to Lock 36 and Harecastle Tunnel will remain possible between 8.00am and 12.00pm daily until last passage on Sunday 7 August

Lock 40 to Lock 29 will then close to navigation from 8.00 am on Monday 8 August

Caldon Canal

Hazelhurst Locks to Froghall will remain closed

Lock 9, Top Lock at Stockton Brook to Lock 1, Bedford Street, Etruria will be closed from 8.00 am Monday 8 August

Whilst these closures will prevent use of the lock flights, cruising between the locks and through Harecastle Tunnel (pre booked passages only between 8.00am and 12.00pm daily) will remain available.

The local team have been in contact with customers affected by the closure to assist them off the Cheshire Flight (locks 41 – 71). If you have not been contacted and are waiting to leave the flight, please contact our North West team on 0303 0404 040 as soon as possible.

We’re continuing conversations with customers affected on the Caldon Canal and the Trent & Mersey from Stoke to Stone (lock 29 to 40). If you have not been contacted and would like assistance in leaving this section, please contact our West Midlands team on 0303 040 4040 or enquiries.westmidlands@canalrivertrust.org.uk as soon as possible.

It is not clear how long the restrictions will be in place. We appreciate this is disappointing news for our customers and we hope that by providing notice of these closures, it will help our customers plan their upcoming journeys or move to alternative locations to avoid the impact of the closures on their cruising plans.

To conserve as much water as possible whilst these closures are in place, the lock flights will be padlocked closed and secured against operation with the gates ‘ashed up’ to reduce leakage. Implementing these closures now means that we can conserve water, allowing the reservoirs to start to refill should we have significant rainfall. Although the Trent & Mersey Canal will remain open north of Great Haywood junction, we are encouraging boaters to minimise travel towards Stone, and consider other available routes, to help conserve water in the area.

We apologise for the inconvenience this will undoubtedly cause our boating customers and boating businesses.

Our teams will continue to monitor our reservoir holdings and surface water feeders and we will provide updates on the water position throughout the closed period.

10 hours ago, PhilR said:

Don't worry, these issues should be picked up by the Boater Survey. ;)

Edited by LadyG

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The bit I found interesting was where they said that even when the locks both side of it were padlocked, you could still go through the Harecastle. Bet that'll be really, really busy.

Probably not, but it will give anyone stuck in between the closures a bit more range, including hirers from Heritage and BP Festival Park.

Perhaps whilst this closure of T&M locks in in force, C&RT can fix the 11 paddles on the flight 70 to 40 that are out of order and have been for months/weeks. They won't get disturbed and can snooze their days away instead of working.

16 hours ago, MrsM said:

We came through Cropredy to Banbury yesterday. Passed some gorgeous old boats at a wharf on route. Pounds low but passable.

Probably at Appletree Farm, immediately below a small boatyard called The Slipway. Two or three ex-working boats moor there.

A bit further down you'll have passed ours too: not so old, but we think she's gorgeous.

Just now, Athy said:

A bit further down you'll have passed ours too: not so old, but we think she's gorgeous.

I walked past Trojan at 6pm on Tuesday. Sitting on the bottom as far as I could tell, certainly the boats further on were, as the pound was down at least a foot. Happening every day at the moment, l,believe, until CRT run water down first thing in the morning. On Thursday we got stopped at Claydon bottom lock from from 12.30pm to about 2pm as they closed the locks to run water down from the summit as it had already got so bad.

I wonder how long they can keep doing that. I know restrictions are coming in soon, don't know how much difference that will make.

We've abandoned our plans to move down to Cropredy Marina as there seem to be problems in the Banbury area every time we come down that way in summertime.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Iain_S said:

But will not be available to Lord Byrons Maggot. 🤨

No, I disagree, it is available to tghe maggot, its just the maggot currently has not intentions of using it (well ....... is unable to use it)

If your boat is out of the water for a week, or two, or three for repair or painting does that mean that your mooring is unavailable to you ?

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, I disagree, it is available to tghe maggot, its just the maggot currently has not intentions of using it (well ....... is unable to use it)

If your boat is out of the water for a week, or two, or three for repair or painting does that mean that your mooring is unavailable to you ?

I would say, "Yes".

Is my mooring at Drumshoreland on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Union Canal available to Kelpie (currently on the Trent and Mersey Canal)?

In both cases, there is no connection between boat and mooring by canal, albeit temporarily in Arthur's case.

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The mooring is available (and presumably unused)

I'll still have to pay for the damn thing, so it's available to me, though I may not be available to it.

Got stuck behind someone going incredibly slowly coming into Nantwich. Then we both ran into someone going even slower. The last five hundred yards took nearly half an hour. I had a minor tantrum causing a few raised eyebrows from walkers as they zipped past me. The first six hours were fine, though. Audlem, Adderley and Tyrley tomorrow, hoorah.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

I walked past Trojan at 6pm on Tuesday. Sitting on the bottom as far as I could tell, certainly the boats further on were, as the pound was down at least a foot. Happening every day at the moment, l,believe, until CRT run water down first thing in the morning. On Thursday we got stopped at Claydon bottom lock from from 12.30pm to about 2pm as they closed the locks to run water down from the summit as it had already got so bad.

I wonder how long they can keep doing that. I know restrictions are coming in soon, don't know how much difference that will make.

We've abandoned our plans to move down to Cropredy Marina as there seem to be problems in the Banbury area every time we come down that way in summertime.

When we were stopped at Claydon last year the CRT guy told me they have to run water down for the farmer who has an extraction permit as they have to keep the level high enough for him to extract what he is permitted.