Water prediction coming true.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, frangar said:

How does it flow up through the stop lock then? Theres a steady flow coming past me at High Offley at the moment...most of which comes from the Sewage works at Wolverhampton as far as Im aware. I think the Works also has an outlet onto the S & W as well just south of the Autherly Junction.

Learn something every day - I had long ago been told that it came mostly out into S and W!

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Learn something every day - I had long ago been told that it came mostly out into S and W!

I think it flows into both, but the Shroppie is fed by the S&W anyway, the stop lock goes down onto the Shroppie.

5 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Any offers for what the Oxford summit will be like come the start of September?

Shut? Or severe restrictions on the locks either side at least. They back pump at Napton and in theory this water can come from as far away as Birmingham summit level via Hatton and Stockton. But everything flowing down towards Oxford is lost. Bigger problems with water further down though as the Cherwell is extremely low and it is the supply for the canal from Aynho onwards. I would hope the fixed weir on the Cherwell at Shipton (around the corner from where the river and canal part) is set so the levels there can't drop below the minimum needed for navigation. Then in theory lock water from higher up can feed the canal here too? Shipton lock was pretty much level when I came through the other day. If the river can drop lower then I can't see how they will avoid shutting the canal there?

5 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Any offers for what the Oxford summit will be like come the start of September?

At present it is full as it could be and the back pumps at Marston Doles are not on!  Very quiet boat wise.

Thanks for those replies.

I've a week booked in that there London come October.

The plan is to head south down the Oxford and along the Thames. Given the weather and lack of rain I'm wondering if I'm being a tad optimistic.

Edited by Victor Vectis

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

Do they back pump up from the Leamington pound to Napton then?

Yes, back pumps all the way up at each lock(s) from Leamington to the Braunston/Napton long pound

18 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

At present it is full as it could be and the back pumps at Marston Doles are not on!  Very quiet boat wise.

This is good news, I had hoped the lack of restrictions at Claydon or Napton meant the situation at the top was OK and issues further down were more localised problems than a general lack of water

20 hours ago, Dave123 said:

I think it flows into both, but the Shroppie is fed by the S&W anyway, the stop lock goes down onto the Shroppie.

Yes, I knew that much, but with just 4 inches fall and only with the passage of boats, it will not produce a significant flow, I would have thought. I have certainly never noticed such after having come through the lock on the long run to Wheaton Aston. Surely if there was any flow then it would be noticeable at narrow points, including most bridges? 

On 22/07/2022 at 09:52, Arthur Marshall said:

A clump of folk with clipboards came along yesterday about a tree across the cut wearing "Ground Force" sweaters, which was nice.

Not necessarily nice for them in the recent weather!

I see workmen wearing "vizzyvests" and think that that can't have been much fun lately either.,

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not necessarily nice for them in the recent weather!

I see workmen wearing "vizzyvests" and think that that can't have been much fun lately either.,

What annoys me is that everybody moans about how hot it was to work. Not once did anyone mention the poor shift workers and in particular the night shift workers who had to try and sleep during the day !!

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Yes, I knew that much, but with just 4 inches fall and only with the passage of boats, it will not produce a significant flow, I would have thought. I have certainly never noticed such after having come through the lock on the long run to Wheaton Aston. Surely if there was any flow then it would be noticeable at narrow points, including most bridges? 

There is a flow on the Shroppie though nothing like the Llangollen. It's obvious at Wheaton Aston lock and monstrous once you get to Tyrley bottom lock. The water from the sewage works enters at the southern end next to the waterpoint by the Napton narrowboat hirebase.

Regarding the flows into the SHroppie and S&W from the sewage works, the outfall into the Shroppie can be seen on Google maps (image layer).  You can also see the larger outflow into the S&W to the south of the junction. Whilst there is some flow between the canals via the stop lock, there is IIRC also a channel between the Shroppie and the S&W, located to the North of the stop lock. I seem to remember looking at this 2 or 3 years ago and believe that there is a small brick building over the channel. I cannot remember if this has pumps or is simply some form of flow regulation using the height difference?

The outfall into the Shroppie was crystal clear last time I saw it and full of very small fish. 

https://goo.gl/maps/XT9mY9Xwsvb73AqH8

So it is now true and official----------

"Update on 25/07/2022:

Despite some recent rainfall over the weekend, water levels have deteriorated much quicker than we were expecting between Lock 41 and Lock 71 on the Trent & Mersey Canal, and the navigation remains closed.

The local team are working to recover stranded boats in the affected pounds and are in discussions to establish a way to move affected boats off the Flight or to a nearby Customer Service Facility. If you are affected by this closure and are waiting to leave the Flight, please contact our North West team on 0303 0404 040.

We apologise for the inconvenience this will undoubtedly cause our boating customers and boating businesses.

A further update will be provided by Friday 29 July."

So the T&M is closed.  I am intrigued as to how they are going to move all the affected boats, many will be high and dry like the group on the lock 57 permanent mooring, or abandoned, without any numbers or names,  in all their no licence hiding places.

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

"Update on 25/07/2022:

Despite some recent rainfall over the weekend, water levels have deteriorated much quicker than we were expecting between Lock 41 and Lock 71 on the Trent & Mersey Canal, and the navigation remains closed.

The local team are working to recover stranded boats in the affected pounds and are in discussions to establish a way to move affected boats off the Flight or to a nearby Customer Service Facility. If you are affected by this closure and are waiting to leave the Flight, please contact our North West team on 0303 0404 040.

We apologise for the inconvenience this will undoubtedly cause our boating customers and boating businesses.

So the T&M is closed.  I am intrigued as to how they are going to move all the affected boats, many will be high and dry like the group on the lock 57 permanent mooring, or abandoned, without any numbers or names,  in all their no licence hiding places.

Could take them a while, seeing as how it's taken them over two years to get round to shifting the sunk boat on the Stoke flight!

Interestingly , it's done nothing but rain since they ran out of water.

Stoke flight is on restricted hours so you'd be hard pushed to get through them and the Harecastle on the same day.

49 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

"Update on 25/07/2022:

Wow, the whole section from Middlewich to Harding's wood closed, that's massive. How on earth are they going to get that many boats out of such a big section with no water? 😞

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

You must work for CRT….thinking more of everyone apart from boaters…..

No i do not work. Just thinking of the majority

16 minutes ago, IanD said:

Wow, the whole section from Middlewich to Harding's wood closed, that's massive. How on earth are they going to get that many boats out of such a big section with no water? 😞

wheels and helicopters ?

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

And restricted working with possible closure of the Stoke locks the other side of the tunnel. 

I suppose they'll float them down pound by pound. Fill the pound, float the boats down into the next one, wait for more water, and do it again, like an old fart like me going downstairs one step at a time then waiting till I've got me breath back before the next one.

Tough if you're one of the hundreds who apparently go on a continuous cruise but rarely go near the boat. Maybe CRT will just move all the unnamed and unnumbered ones and collect them somewhere else....