Water prediction coming true.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I expect most of them are pen pushing parasite's.

Although I was surprised this year to see that they still service their own work boats and that it had not been contracted out.

We have an excellent CRT engineer that services the Heritage Working Boats and recently done some welding where there was a leak.

• Happy 1

Cheshire locks closed at least until Monday. Update coming then.

Out of interest, what feeds the run south from Stoke? Presumably the top bit comes from the Macc and the Caldon, so is the Stoke flight running low too? There must be feeders lower down to keep the Stone flight etc full?

Edited by Arthur Marshall

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We don't want heavy rain.

The ground is hard from the lack of rain fall. Heavy rain will just run off into the rivers and off out to sea without soaking into the ground.

We need a steady constant light rain. Doesn't look like we will get it from the forecast though.

we had about 2.5mm last night

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Decision to be made, I've just turned onto the Middlewich branch of the Shroppie and heading towards this closure. If it is open Monday, then I can cope with 1 days waiting. Or, do I turn around and head back to Autherley Junction and up the Staffs and Worcs to Great Haywood thus cutting this stretch out?

Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Out of interest, what feeds the run south from Stoke? Presumably the top bit comes from the Macc and the Caldon, so is the Stoke flight running low too? There must be feeders lower down to keep the Stone flight etc full?

It gets fed at Haywood Junction by the Staffs and Worcs (which shouldn't ever struggle for water as all of Wolverhamptons sewage goes into it) but I don't recall anything flowing into it until then. Either those locks don't leak as much or aren't as busy? 

1 hour ago, Kendorr said:

Decision to be made, I've just turned onto the Middlewich branch of the Shroppie and heading towards this closure. If it is open Monday, then I can cope with 1 days waiting. Or, do I turn around and head back to Autherley Junction and up the Staffs and Worcs to Great Haywood thus cutting this stretch out?

Any thoughts?

We did it last week and it wasn't fun. We have a 28" draft and got stuck once or twice. It is seriously low all the way from the second lock on the T&M all the way to the top lock before the junction. We managed to moor OK at Wheelock. It's so low you an see that the piling is shot at water level and also where it meets the puddling clay along the whole length.

If you want a stressless journey I'd turn around.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Arthur there is a feeder about quarter of a mile south of the tunnel. It comes in on the western bank. There must be others including what comes down the Caldon. The water at the south end of the tunnel isn't orange so it must be adequately supplied such that it doesn't steal from the tunnel. The bywashes on the Stoke locks were in operation on Monday / Tuesday so there is clearly a feed from somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

If you want a stressless journey I'd turn around.

Thanks CC, after sitting with the Nicholson for the last half hour, that's what I decided. So, it's back to Autherley Junction and then to Great Haywood.

52 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Thanks CC, after sitting with the Nicholson for the last half hour, that's what I decided. So, it's back to Autherley Junction and then to Great Haywood.

Advisable, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if it opens on restricted hours anyway - the two very low pounds are low because of leakage, so they'll empty again fairly quickly and if nothing much is coming down it won't take much. The theory is of course you take your lockfull of water down with you, but that doesn't work any more.

I think I'll change my route home too .

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Advisable, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if it opens on restricted hours anyway - ....

The first of the two notices on Thursday did say that from Mon 25th the canal from the Stoke flight to somewhere on the Cheshire side was to be limited to 8.00am to 12.00 only. Might end up being even more limited.

The downside to doubling the Cheshire locks, twice the leakage.

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

It gets fed at Haywood Junction by the Staffs and Worcs (which shouldn't ever struggle for water as all of Wolverhamptons sewage goes into it) but I don't recall anything flowing into it until then. Either those locks don't leak as much or aren't as busy? 

The Cheshire Locks see Cheshire Ring and Four Counties Ring traffic, whereas the locks from Stoke to Great Haywood only see the latter, so even allowing for other trips I suspect the Cheshire Locks see more traffic.

42 minutes ago, PeterF said:

The first of the two notices on Thursday did say that from Mon 25th the canal from the Stoke flight to somewhere on the Cheshire side was to be limited to 8.00am to 12.00 only. Might end up being even more limited.

The downside to doubling the Cheshire locks, twice the leakage.

I wonder if they will take one out of each double out of commission. It would save maintenance as well as water and it's been obvious for years that they can't keep them all in good nick. There are already several chained off or filled in. They were built to speed up traffic, which isn't really needed any more. They'd have to keep the wider of the two,  assuming anyone at CRT headquarters worries about such things.

I never got the first notice for some reason.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I wonder if they will take one out of each double out of commission. It would save maintenance as well as water and it's been obvious for years that they can't keep them all in good nick. There are already several chained off or filled in. They were built to speed up traffic, which isn't really needed any more. They'd have to keep the wider of the two,  assuming anyone at CRT headquarters worries about such things.

I never got the first notice for some reason.

Don't give CRT such ideas. Next it will be Hillmorton

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Arthur there is a feeder about quarter of a mile south of the tunnel. It comes in on the western bank. There must be others including what comes down the Caldon. The water at the south end of the tunnel isn't orange so it must be adequately supplied such that it doesn't steal from the tunnel. The bywashes on the Stoke locks were in operation on Monday / Tuesday so there is clearly a feed from somewhere.

I always assumed the feed down the caldon stopped orange water being taken from the other side of the tunnel down towards Stoke locks. 

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Don't give CRT such ideas. Next it will be Hillmorton

Well there’s been a lower paddle on one of the top locks out of action since around October last year, then one upper paddle on the lower locks were out of action two weeks ago. 
The double Cheshire locks definitely help with some congestion surely? Crazy to let them go when many are in decent order. 

8 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Well there’s been a lower paddle on one of the top locks out of action since around October last year, then one upper paddle on the lower locks were out of action two weeks ago. 

Still the same. The bag said that it was under repair so I took it off to look for the tiny C&RT workers underneath but they were not there!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

Indeed but that does more for S and W than Shroppie.

How does it flow up through the stop lock then? Theres a steady flow coming past me at High Offley at the moment...most of which comes from the Sewage works at Wolverhampton as far as Im aware. I think the Works also has an outlet onto the S & W as well just south of the Autherly Junction.

1 minute ago, frangar said:

How does it flow up through the stop lock then? Theres a steady flow coming past me at High Offley at the moment...most of which comes from the Sewage works at Wolverhampton as far as Im aware. I think the Works also has an outlet onto the S & W as well just south of the Autherly Junction.

I agree with Frangar. As it comes out towpath side just below (north) of Napton Narrowboats

Just now, Tonka said:

I agree with Frangar. As it comes out towpath side just below (north) of Napton Narrowboats

Yep....it runs in spurts presumably as some sort of tank is emptied....with enough force to push your bow over if you just draw level with it as it starts...the laws  of fluid dynamics means it doesnt take long to become a steady flow a little way along the Shroppie.....and if the good residents of Wolverhampton are flushing a lot it means the bywashes on the flights can be quite a thing!

14 minutes ago, frangar said:

Yep....it runs in spurts presumably as some sort of tank is emptied....with enough force to push your bow over if you just draw level with it as it starts...the laws  of fluid dynamics means it doesnt take long to become a steady flow a little way along the Shroppie.....and if the good residents of Wolverhampton are flushing a lot it means the bywashes on the flights can be quite a thing!

There is an opportunity for the same to happen on the T&M. There is a sewage treatment plant opposite the Red Bull pub. 

C&RT are currently pumping water from the River Goyt in to Todbrook Reservoir. No idea whether they are worried about the fish or hoping to reopen the Macc.