Water prediction coming true.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Most of the Wheelock flight are down to one paddle now. I reported the gate at Malkins Bank which appears to be coming off the vertical and is jamming.

I do hope Parry has got his contract written properly so he doesn't lose out on a performance bonus this year. That really would be terrible.

Have they actually started the reservoir repairs yet?

Well nobody worked Monday or Tuesday so what would you reckon to any repairs being imminent?

Most of the Lawton Treble have one or two  busted paddles.  The wider lock at 60 is closed so no working boats can get through anyway. 

I have reported multiple failures to C&RT in the last two weeks and received not a single acknowledgement.

I reported a really bad diesel spill on the North Oxford from Clifton Cruisers hire base, no acknowledgement for that either.  It was so bad that the water looked red!

The whole organisation shut down because it was too hot this week and it is a total shambles.

21 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

This post is not rude, contains no humour and is intended to be insulting, OK Moderators?

Umm, yes, though your point is unclear.

But tell me, if it's intended to be insulting, how come it's not rude? Are there polite insults?

And finally....CART are not directly responsible of rainfall or the lack thereof, as far as I'm aware.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The prediction is now fact, the T&M is closed from lock 41 to 71.  There is another contradictory notice that passage is allowed between 8am and 11:59am, it is unclear which notice is in force.

First notice said the opening hours Stoke to Sandbach will be restricted to 8am to noon from Mon 25th July, next notice is for today and tomorrow closing the cheshire side, hopefully open Saturday. They are for different days so not contradictory.

I think Heritage had the sense to send their boats down the Trent & Mersey.

I noticed persons unknown had left Stoke top lock with the top gate open on Monday afternoon and water was gushing from the bottom gate. As soon as I closed the gate the lock started to fall very quickly. If the top gate was left open overnight it would have a serious effect on the tunnel level.

I think it's an unfortunate combination of dry weather and poor maintenance coinciding with the time of year when a lot of inexperienced holiday boats are out and about. Just experienced a very low pound just at Kidlington, but not the pounds either side, which is probably down to mismanagement of the lock, not fully closing a paddle or something like that. But the lower than usual levels in the Cherwell further up make it harder to replace the wasted water like one would in a usual summer.

54 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I think Heritage had the sense to send their boats down the Trent & Mersey.

I noticed persons unknown had left Stoke top lock with the top gate open on Monday afternoon and water was gushing from the bottom gate. As soon as I closed the gate the lock started to fall very quickly. If the top gate was left open overnight it would have a serious effect on the tunnel level.

You would think someone from the CRT base by the lock would have noticed. Though it was hot, so they possibly weren't working.

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You would think someone from the CRT base by the lock would have noticed. Though it was hot, so they possibly weren't working.

CRT working in almost the same sentance

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well nobody worked Monday or Tuesday so what would you reckon to any repairs being imminent?

That isn't actually correct as certain CRT staff were working Monday and Tuesday so perhaps you should check your facts before posting inaccuracies.

• Greenie 3

55 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

That isn't actually correct as certain CRT staff were working Monday and Tuesday so perhaps you should check your facts before posting inaccuracies.

There were vlockies working at Middlewich on Monday morning, but had been told to knock off, I think he said 11.30, because of the heat. I don't think an employer would have wanted their staff to walk miles on Monday or Tuesday to check on water levels.

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

There were vlockies working at Middlewich on Monday morning, but had been told to knock off, I think he said 11.30, because of the heat. I don't think an employer would have wanted their staff to walk miles on Monday or Tuesday to check on water levels.

There was a CRT guy at Hillmorton checking the levels when we went up Tuesday morning but no volunteers. We also saw some staff working on rebuilding a bridge parapet on the North Oxford.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

There was a CRT guy at Hillmorton checking the levels when we went up Tuesday morning but no volunteers. We also saw some staff working on rebuilding a bridge parapet on the North Oxford.

I met a CRT chappie with a keb clearing weed from the bywash grill on Tuesday morning at Alrewas lock and got licence checked as I went through Alrewas by a different chap on a pedally too.

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

CRT working in almost the same sentance

Very unfair comment, lots of them do their best to hold the system together with the resources they have ,

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Weather app says it's going to rain all day tomorrow...

Rained last night and all morning in Birmingham, but not heavy rain I doubt much water fell.

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Very unfair comment, lots of them do their best to hold the system together with the resources they have ,

Rained last night and all morning in Birmingham, but not heavy rain I doubt much water fell.

We don't want heavy rain.

The ground is hard from the lack of rain fall. Heavy rain will just run off into the rivers and off out to sea without soaking into the ground.

We need a steady constant light rain. Doesn't look like we will get it from the forecast though.

Nobody blames the blokes on the ground, though as far as I can tell not many are employed by CRT any more. A clump of folk with clipboards came along yesterday about a tree across the cut wearing "Ground Force" sweaters, which was nice.

It's the management that is getting more and more resented, both for its ludicrous signage, excessive bureaucracy and reliance on the internet, and general unawareness of what the waterways are used for, by anyone.

• Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2020/21 = 1590 employees "on the books" with a labour cost of £68.5m

Screenshot (1460).png

I expect most of them are pen pushing parasite's.

Although I was surprised this year to see that they still service their own work boats and that it had not been contracted out.