Water prediction coming true.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Over here on the Great Ouse the water levels have dropped a little but a little on the Old West is the difference between floating and aground. Last week I likened it to the Curley Wurley without the rubbish. Take it slow and steady and hope you don't meet another boat around Twenty Pence.

Fortunately won't be going back up river for several weeks so hopefully will have some rain by then. Although until then it might make it problematic going up the Wissey or Little Ouse.

Edited by pearley

17 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

(temperatures threatening to go over 30 degrees again this coming week),

Thank goodness. It may thaw soon, then. Now if it reached 85 degrees, that really would be nice and hot.

Water level here on the Old River Nene alias Well Creek appeared normal this morning, though I may have lowered it slightly by dipping my watering can in it a couple of times to water the plants in our front garden.

Edited by Athy

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank goodness. It may thaw soon, then. Now if it reached 85 degrees, that really would be nice and hot.

Water level here on the Old River Nene alias Well Creek appeared normal this morning, though I may have lowered it slightly by dipping my watering can in it a couple of times to water the plants in our front garden.

You really are a rebel ....................

One week you are polluting the water by dumping your grass cuttings in the creek, the next week you are taking water out of the creek without an extraction licence!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You really are a rebel ....................

One week you are polluting the water by dumping your grass cuttings in the creek, the next week you are taking water out of the creek without an extraction licence!

:clapping:

Legally in both cases.

16 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

Is water extraction the cause of the problem. 

Industry and Agriculture pay almost as much in extraction licence fees as all of the 34,000 boaters do. Their contracts have a clause about water supply not being affected, boaters have a clause saying "there are no guarantees we will keep the navigation open - no refunds !"

• Sad 1
  • Horror 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Industry and Agriculture pay almost as much in extraction licence fees as all of the 34,000 boaters do. Their contracts have a clause about water supply not being affected, boaters have a clause saying "there are no guarantees we will keep the navigation open - no refunds !"

Industry and agriculture get to have a say in their contracts. Boaters do not

• Greenie 1

I note that we now have restrictions on the K&A - not as serious as the ones up north (10am to 4pm each day) but give it has a backpumped supply from Bath all the way to the summit it suggests there is a problem. 

As an aside, when we (that is my company) look at water supply for restoration studies, it's often the case that forecast evaporation and transpiration in summer* are equal to if not exceeding lockage consumption, but these can't be mitigated, lockage can

*On a newly restored canal leakage really shouldn't be a significant problem - and the EA often ask for a "no leakage" assumption for proposed new schemes

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That is presumably because they are the ones doing the contracting, CRT being the secondary party. It's the other way round for us.

Industry and agriculture are the customers the same as we boaters.

C&RT allow Industry and Ag to extract certain amounts of water, C&RT allow boaters to pay to float in the water.

Both are subject to C&RTs T&Cs for the relevant licence.

C&RT also issue a (charged for) licence to discharge water into the canals (be it the same water the company paid to extract, or be it surface water run of frombuildings, car parks etc.)

Nice business if you can get it.

22 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

As an aside, when we (that is my company) look at water supply for restoration studies, it's often the case that forecast evaporation and transpiration in summer* are equal to if not exceeding lockage consumption, but these can't be mitigated, lockage can

*On a newly restored canal leakage really shouldn't be a significant problem - and the EA often ask for a "no leakage" assumption for proposed new schemes

Good grief!  I never imagined that it would be that much.

The transpiration that you are talking about, is that the water taken up by aquatic plants and evaporated through their leaves?

43 minutes ago, Theo said:

Good grief!  I never imagined that it would be that much.

The transpiration that you are talking about, is that the water taken up by aquatic plants and evaporated through their leaves?

Most likely trees and other terrestrial plants, the volumes of water trees transpire in the growing season can be spectacular, which is why they are so good at acting as air conditioners in City's 

Toddbrook is a case in point.  C&RT are dumping water into the river Goyt to keep the level down, presumably paying EA for the privilege.

Then extracting it from the Goyt to feed the UPF, paying again? 

• Horror 1

7 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Is water extraction the cause of the problem. 

I think the biggest problem is lack of rain. When out cruising during the summer, since I'm in no real rush, if it rains I moor up and wait for it to pass. Without getting into the exact statistics but since coming out on 10th May, I haven't had to stay moored up very often to avoid rain and generally I don't travel in the rain.

Except for the noise they make, I don't think that water extraction is a massive problem, even down here on the River Witham where they are pumping it out onto the fields 24/7. I say the noise they make, several of the pumps appear to be using unsilenced diesel pumps and given how flat the landscape is here, and how otherwise quiet it is, you can often hear the pumps working over a mile away. We passed one the other day no more than 200 metres from a dwelling, must be a real joy living there when the pumps are running:unsure:

• Sad 1

On 11/07/2022 at 15:20, magpie patrick said:

I note that we now have restrictions on the K&A - not as serious as the ones up north (10am to 4pm each day) but give it has a backpumped supply from Bath all the way to the summit it suggests there is a problem. 

Looking at historical documents would suggest that canal builders calculated that reservoir capacity should be enough for one third of water to supply lockage, one third leakage and one third evaporation.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The prediction is now fact, the T&M is closed from lock 41 to 71.  There is another contradictory notice that passage is allowed between 8am and 11:59am, it is unclear which notice is in force.

Ye gods, that's Kidsgrove to Middlewich. Bang goes the 4 Counties. Doesn't surprise me, but the hire companies are going to be stuffed. 

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

Ye gods, that's Kidsgrove to Middlewich. Bang goes the 4 Counties. Doesn't surprise me, but the hire companies are going to be stuffed. 

Yep,  it is most of Cheshire locks, now what about the tunnel?  No traffic on the Macc and now none on the T&M, why would they keep it open?

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yep,  it is most of Cheshire locks, now what about the tunnel?  No traffic on the Macc and now none on the T&M, why would they keep it open?

The lower Macc is presumably still open, so Heritage boats going anticlockwise could still get home if the tunnel's open. For that matter so could I, though as I'm not doing so for a month that doesn't matter. Yet.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The lower Macc is presumably still open, so Heritage boats going anticlockwise could still get home if the tunnel's open. For that matter so could I, though as I'm not doing so for a month that doesn't matter. Yet.

There were a lot of Scholar Green boats about last week and this week the school holidays start. Brilliant timing C&RT, wallies.

This post is not rude, contains no humour and is intended to be insulting, OK Moderators?

Edited by Tracy D'arth

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

With a large number of the paddles already out of action, they won't need to, just a handful of paddles locked up will do.

Lock 60 only needs one padlock, job done.

Most of the Wheelock flight are down to one paddle now. I reported the gate at Malkins Bank which appears to be coming off the vertical and is jamming.

I do hope Parry has got his contract written properly so he doesn't lose out on a performance bonus this year. That really would be terrible.

Have they actually started the reservoir repairs yet?

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 2