Water prediction coming true.

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Regrettably my prediction about water shortage on the T&M is coming to pass and its only the second week in July.

Some pounds on the Cheshire Locks are low, boats are turning back at Halls Lock.

Lawton locks are draining the short pounds.  All 3 Lawton locks are down to one paddle working both tops and bottoms so it will only take one more paddle failure to close the canal. 

Hall lock one chamber closed.

Boats on the bottom at lock 57 with large mud flats showing on the off side.

Lock 60 has the full width lock closed, the other is too narrow for a 7' boat so if one gets stuck in the lock that is the canal closed.

There has been a scuttle butt about the Harecastle tunnel being closed.

Maintenance is by yellow aware card and tape, C&RT should be fired, fast.

• Horror 1

Under TUPE laws you generally end up having to transfer the staff to the incoming company anyway so nothing changes.

Not sure firing CRT would help unless someone new comes along with a few 100 million in funds comes along.

29 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Firing them's easy enough, it's making them leave once you've done it...

Do u think we may have the World's most expensive squat in London 🤔

• Sad 1

That’s strange as at the start of this week  whilst the pounds were a few inches low in places there didn’t seem any problem at all, no boats grounded that we could see or hear of, nor any particular queues. Didn’t meet anyone turning around. 

As we know these things can change fast recently on Hatton we saw a hire boat ground on pound  2 yet there was a full pound there 3 hours earlier. 

The top Harecastle pound was pretty low so you may well be right as we reach main holiday season, and Harecastle was closed a few weeks ago briefly  due to low levels. However doesn’t the now reopened Caldon feed this section too?

• Greenie 1

It is not only the canals short of water. Yesterday, came back from Anderton via the M62 & the reservoir at Boothwood (where the road goes either side of the farm) - I have not seen it so low for a long time. No mention of hose pipe ban just yet, at least not in Sunny Teesside.

18 minutes ago, BEngo said:

School holidays start next week.  That should bring some rain.

N

Knew someone who worked for Yorkshire Water, and when I mentioned low canal water levels despite weeks of rain he said,"yes, there is lots of rain, unfortunately, it's falling in the wrong places".😢

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Am I the only one who seems to have noticed that we've barely had much rain this year? Get rid of CRT sure, but how are you going to make it rain more? When we came down the Trent recently there was virtually no fresh coming down at all, is that down to CRT? We are now entering our second heat wave (temperatures threatening to go over 30 degrees again this coming week), there are consequences for this sort of thing.

Depends where you are our IBCs at the allotment were nearly full along with all our barrels. I am pleasantly surprised by that, but you are right global warming is real and happening now, I have read the French wheat harvest may fail due to lack of rain none of this is good for the future 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Am I the only one who seems to have noticed that we've barely had much rain this year? Get rid of CRT sure, but how are you going to make it rain more? When we came down the Trent recently there was virtually no fresh coming down at all, is that down to CRT? We are now entering our second heat wave (temperatures threatening to go over 30 degrees again this coming week), there are consequences for this sort of thing.

I'm glad we don't rely on river levels for our leisure time right now.

With no rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future they are only going one way.

Some friends posted some pictures of the Trent at Torksey yesterday and it was as low as we can remember having see it already.