Featured Posts

I thought folk might be interested in our illustrated account of our trip through the Liverpool Canal Link last Monday down into Salthouse Dock, so here is a link to that posting on our blog:

https://ianhelencanals.blogspot.com/2022/07/passage-into-liverpool.html

Ian and Helen Wright on Narrowboat Leo

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

How are your anodes fizzing?

You are right Tracy - if you look at them closely there is a slow stream of bubbles rising!  I don't think this is likely to be a problem for a short stay in these salty waters though.

3 minutes ago, Ian on Leo said:

You are right Tracy - if you look at them closely there is a slow stream of bubbles rising!  I don't think this is likely to be a problem for a short stay in these salty waters though.

Of course you should dock the boat and change them to zinc in an Ideal World. But who would?  It gets rid of the freshwater mussels and the weed growth, the duck will be sad.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Of course you should dock the boat and change them to zinc in an Ideal World. But who would?  It gets rid of the freshwater mussels and the weed growth, the duck will be sad.

I always try to get a week in Liverpool just before using Wigan dry dock.  The brackish water for a week makes the weed much easier to remove!

• 10 months later...

We have stopped the night before at Litherland, short trip to Stanley locks from there. With the regularity that Hancocks's (aka Hancock's or Wango Lane) swing bridge seems to fail I would prefer to go through it the day before the link was booked just in case. Leave it to the morning of the link booking and if it fails then you will miss your booking. Good advice to empty cassettes / pump out at Litherland.

When we went down last year CRT phoned the afternoon before to ask if we could change to a morning descent of Stanley locks which suited us. We spent the night in the basin at the top of the locks. We were the only boat there and some of the CRT volunteers were dubious about it but we had no problems. Very quiet apart from extremely argumentative coots.