Dunton Double Plus

Alan

Featured Posts

I was lucky enough to pick up a Dunton Double Windlass on eBay this week,happy days 🙂

If anyone is interested there are 2 Dunton Double Pluses also available,I think these are the longer arm versions. (one pink and one blue !)

2 minutes ago, Alan said:

I was lucky enough to pick up a Dunton Double Windlass on eBay this week,happy days 🙂

If anyone is interested there are 2 Dunton Double Pluses also available,I think these are the longer arm versions. (one pink and one blue !)

Just be careful as sometimes you can catch your fingers on the gate beams because of the extra length on the +

Edited by Tonka

41 minutes ago, Alan said:

(one pink and one blue !)

Why oh why would you want to do this?

I was aware of the residual stock of these (without the daft colours) being sold via a very creditable canal source, so am suspicious about claims made here.

Looking at the amount of air  bubbles visible in the casting, I'm struggling to believe these are not either seconds or counterfeit.

Even properly cast these can fail, and I've seen a head snap off one when used by one of the Grand Union coal boaters.

Image 21 - PINK DUNTON DOUBLE PLUS WINDLASS CANAL LOCK GATE KEY  BRAND NEW SECOND

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

From the same dealer:

Look at the price!!!!!

Dunton.JPG

They were being sold off in lots of 3, I managed to get 1 for £30

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Why oh why would you want to do this?

I was aware of the residual stock of these (without the daft colours) being sold via a very creditable canal source, so am suspicious about claims made here.

Looking at the amount of air  bubbles visible in the casting, I'm struggling to believe these are not either seconds or counterfeit.

Even properly cast these can fail, and I've seen a head snap off one when used by one of the Grand Union coal boaters.

Image 21 - PINK DUNTON DOUBLE PLUS WINDLASS CANAL LOCK GATE KEY  BRAND NEW SECOND

I agree,they're not to my taste,they are listed as seconds.

Edited by Alan
punctuation

22 hours ago, Alan said:

I picked up two left on a lock, long and short handle :)

3 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

I picked up two left on a lock, long and short handle :)

Which is the reason I never pay more than about a tenner for a windlass! It's the easiest thing in the world to drop one in or leave it behind. Happens regularly if you do any amount of boating, IME.

Cue a stream of posts from people saying they are still using the one they bought in 1947 for 1/3d, and see no reason to carry six or seven like I find prudent! 

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

Which is the reason I never pay more than about a tenner for a windlass! It's the easiest thing in the world to drop one in or leave it behind. Happens regularly if you do any amount of boating, IME.

Cue a stream of posts from people saying they are still using the one they bought in 1947 for 1/3d, and see no reason to carry six or seven like I find prudent! 

So true. We always had at least half a dozen. I liked the Dunton and we used one for many years until swmbo threw it in the cut lol. We did buy another and still have it, along with our Calder and Hebble handspike 🤣 Fat lot of use over ere in West wales. The spike was useless for the last twenty years of boat ownership having bought stuff far too long mostly for the C and H apart from the widebeam we owned.

I used to have both lengths. Was once working a lock and took both as unsure how close the spindle was to the beam. Anyhow, this chap wandered up and asked me if i’d like to see some magic. I said i would so he told me to put my hands over my ears, close my eyes and count to 100. I did as he asked, and once i’d finished counting and opened my eyes, to my amazement the chap had vanished! I must have put the windlasses somewhere daft as I couldn’t find them afterwards, was worth it for the excellent magic trick though.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1