Is it just us that complains about volunteer lock keepers

nicknorman

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Convert to a diet of Oat of Simple and Pot Noodles and just lick the spoon clean in between.

Even the trusty emergency Pot Noodle has failed me today so I’ve had to resort to the emergency Pot Noodle station in the nearby emergency petrol station.

Edited by Captain Pegg

On 06/07/2022 at 18:57, jonathanA said:

They are a bit thin on the ground in the North.... our last encounter was at Stanley locks on the ribble link and you couldn't tell the difference between CRT staff and volockies. They seemed to work together and worked with the boat crews. 

I was happy with the way they worked the locks and happy for the help. Guess some might have not wanted their help, my sense is they'd have been happy either way. 

I think you mean Liverpool Link.

We came into Salthiyse yesterday and our experience with Sid's team was excellent. They clearly enjoyed working together and deferred to the skippers evry time.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I've only seen one so far on Farmer's Bridge which was a couple of years ago.  He stayed with me and closed the gates, left me to work the boat through the locks and Mrs-M set ahead. He was a nice chap, was keen to understand how I single handed the boat through the locks and why I did what I did.  His view was it appeared I knew what I was doing and he didn't want to get in the way.

The one I went with was a boat owner

12 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I've only seen one so far on Farmer's Bridge which was a couple of years ago.  He stayed with me and closed the gates, left me to work the boat through the locks and Mrs-M set ahead. He was a nice chap, was keen to understand how I single handed the boat through the locks and why I did what I did.  His view was it appeared I knew what I was doing and he didn't want to get in the way.

Years ago, Jim Shead used to help boaters down Farmer's Bridge from time to time.  All unofficial like, but that was a guy who really knew what he was doing.  Anyone know what happened to him?  Is he still with us?

Edited by doratheexplorer

We’ve been boating on and off for just over six weeks recently and have met only one  vlockie. That includes Atherstone Hatton Audlem and Lapworth all vlockies absent. At Stockton one passed by and said hello 🤣.   Are we doing something wrong🤣 

Last year two really great vlockies  helped on The Huddersfield in pouring rain as we had to get back in a rush, they were fantastic. Also hats off to the vlockies at Brighouse lower lock who locked us onto the river section which would have been a tricky one to get someone back on after closing to bottom gates. 

Must just be lucky? 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

We’ve been boating on and off for just over six weeks recently and have met only one  vlockie. That includes Atherstone Hatton Audlem and Lapworth all vlockies absent. At Stockton one passed by and said hello 🤣.   Are we doing something wrong🤣 

Last year two really great vlockies  helped on The Huddersfield in pouring rain as we had to get back in a rush, they were fantastic. Also hats off to the vlockies at Brighouse lower lock who locked us onto the river section which would have been a tricky one to get someone back on after closing to bottom gates. 

Must just be lucky? 

Brighouse? There is a landing stage just by the lock tail, has it been removed? I've had no problem single handed. 

The volockies were there last time I went through, no problems. 

2 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Must just be lucky? 

The one's at Atherstone were probably there, but in their usual positions of sipping tea in their hut while not actually doing anything.

49 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Brighouse? There is a landing stage just by the lock tail, has it been removed? I've had no problem single handed. 

I was wondering that.  If it's that tricky, how do people deal with the lock when coming up off the river if there's no mooring?

49 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Going down onto the river it was very much appreciated that the vlockies were there to shut the gates. We probably would have managed but the river seemed to be flowing fairly fast and the stage is tight to the  lock needing a rapid 90 turn then onto the stage. It was a lock gate closure we were pleased to avoid especially on an unfamiliar hire boat, full day one. 😊☺️

26 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The one's at Atherstone were probably there, but in their usual positions of sipping tea in their hut while not actually doing anything.

I was wondering that.  If it's that tricky, how do people deal with the lock when coming up off the river if there's no mooring?

Last time there was a plastic wood landing stage on the right before the lock, going up, partly burnt out but usable. Has that been taken away?

Posts crossed in the ether while I had my dinner!

Edited by Jim Riley

2 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Going down onto the river it was very much appreciated that the vlockies were there to shut the gates. We probably would have managed but the river seemed to be flowing fairly fast and the stage is tight to the  lock needing a rapid 90 turn then onto the stage. It was a lock gate closure we were pleased to avoid especially on an unfamiliar hire boat, full day one. 😊☺️

Bit easier when in flood 😁

IMG_20200209_101115.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Last time there was a plastic wood landing stage on the right before the lock, going up, partly burnt out but usable. Has that been taken away?

Posts crossed in the ether while I had my dinner!

Definitely still there

On 07/07/2022 at 12:28, nicknorman said:

Why, what’s changed since last time?

I noticed your masochistic tendencies - you post on Thunderboat! - I'm far too wimpy to join that band of hooligans.

• Haha 1

On 07/07/2022 at 20:55, Rob-M said:

I take my own volunteer with me when I explore the BCN. He’s good, but he does have his moments…

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

There was a volunteer lock keeper today at Hawkesbury Junction.  You know, that lock that’s almost a whole foot deep.  Anyway, none of the five people on the hire boat coming the other way even bothered to get off the boat, having the lock worked for them.  But when it was our turn I suggested that as it was the only lock of the day, I’d quite like to do it myself.  To his credit, he left me to it, and only popped out again when another boat turned up going the other way.

I can understand CRT having a volunteer to raise their profile at what is quite a busy spot — but a lock keeper?

8 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

There was a volunteer lock keeper today at Hawkesbury Junction.  You know, that lock that’s almost a whole foot deep.  Anyway, none of the five people on the hire boat coming the other way even bothered to get off the boat, having the lock worked for them.  But when it was our turn I suggested that as it was the only lock of the day, I’d quite like to do it myself.  To his credit, he left me to it, and only popped out again when another boat turned up going the other way.

I can understand CRT having a volunteer to raise their profile at what is quite a busy spot — but a lock keeper?

Isn't that where the hire fleet clog the lock landing up? Maybe they've asked for a lockie to stop their boats getting hit all the time by those trying to get past!

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

Isn't that where the hire fleet clog the lock landing up? Maybe they've asked for a lockie to stop their boats getting hit all the time by those trying to get past!

No hire fleet at Hawkesbury, you are thinking of Autherley stop lock.

38 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Isn't that where the hire fleet clog the lock landing up? 

They certainly did today and for a few hundred yards before the lock. Someone popped out of a boat moored opposite and did the lock without me asking. I think he was connected with the hire company and on hand to stop any complaints about not being able to use the lock landing or to avoid boats tying up to their fleet on turnround day.

Edited by Midnight

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

They certainly did today and for a few hundred yards before the lock. Someone popped out of a boat moored opposite and did the lock without me asking. I think he was connected with the hire company and on hand to stop any complaints about not being able to use the lock landing or to avoid boats tying up to their fleet on turnround day.

I never have a problem breasting up if the lock landing is obstructed with hire boats. Just be careful if the deck boards are up. The main problem comes when timid people wanting to come off the Shroppie feel they have to stop at the water point and then take an age to come in. Also, they take the p*** sometimes when turning boats and ignore people who want to come through.

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

Ha!

That happened to me today when I was quite happily working the lock.
Someone came out the bushes to help.

I asked where he’d come from and he said the boat moored off side.

Had a quick natter and thanked him. 
Never gave it any thought. 

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

Ha!

That happened to me today when I was quite happily working the lock.
Someone came out the bushes to help.

I asked where he’d come from and he said the boat moored off side.

Had a quick natter and thanked him. 
Never gave it any thought. 

Must have passed you somewhere. Yes the unofficial lockie was very friendly. When we went up to Wolverhampton boat club last weekend there were two of them one at each end. Looked like they had a permanent job but a very obliging couple.