Installing smart charger - CTEK D250SE

RosieR

Featured Posts

Can anyone help? I’m changing my batteries to AGM and need to install a DC/DC charger (CTEK D 250SE, which I have). I’m not sure if my battery is even using a battery charger at the moment. is that possible?

I’ve tried to install it but I’m not confident enough to be sure it’s done correctly so I was wondering if any boaters on here have experience with installing this charger? Or if anybody has a number for a boat electrician who can help that wouldn’t break the bank (London, W10 area).

Edited by RosieR
Tag

1 hour ago, RosieR said:

Can anyone help? I’m changing my batteries to AGM and need to install a DC/DC charger (CTEK D 250SE, which I have). I’m not sure if my battery is even using a battery charger at the moment. is that possible?

I’ve tried to install it but I’m not confident enough to be sure it’s done correctly so I was wondering if any boaters on here have experience with installing this charger? Or if anybody has a number for a boat electrician who can help that wouldn’t break the bank (London, W10 area).

It's very possible if you currently haven't got a shoreline and charger or the charger is not wired in.  I strongly suggest you get someone qualified to look at it.

Try Ralph at P&S Marine at Watford.  You may have to take the boat there.

Not at all sure why you might need a DC/DC charger for AGM batteries,  unless your present set up cannot be adjusted to suit .

N

33 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Not at all sure why you might need a DC/DC charger for AGM batteries,  unless your present set up cannot be adjusted to suit .

N

There is mention on RosieR other posts that there is an ABC1230 mains (230 volt ac) powered charger onboard, but no mention of a mains shore supply. The installed solar appears to be functioning ok as is the engine mounted alternator, so also quite curious as to where a dc to dc charger comes into the equation.

Edited by Eeyore

18 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

There is mention on RosieR other posts that there is an ABC1230 mains (230 volt ac) powered charger onboard, but no mention of a mains shore supply. The installed solar appears to be functioning ok as is the engine mounted alternator, so also quite curious as to where a dc to dc charger comes into the equation.

I’ve had some reassuring conversations that indicate you’re right! I’ll send back the charger😁💸 

50 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Try Ralph at P&S Marine at Watford.  You may have to take the boat there.

N

I kept finding advice on needing a smart charger but it appears that I don’t😁 thanks for taking the time to reply 

• Greenie 1

If your solar setup is smart enough to give you all that data, then I suspect its smart enough to be configured for the new batteries. I did skim through your previous posts, but didn't notice if you mentioned which make of solar controller you have. Lots of people on here with knowledge of solar systems, but I'm not one of them 😎