Isuzu 42 replacement starter Alternator

Fender151

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

I need to replace the starter alternator on Isuzu 42 ingin.

I currently have fitted a 80 Amp/12v, HMI part number 900021-AIS.

Having done a google search, I cant find a like for like replacement, probably because it has superseded.

Any wisdom from the forum from what others have fitted and supplier details would be great.

Cheers

Phone Lancashire Rotating Electricals at Leyland 01772623600  who will be able to identify the alternator, maybe needing a few photos.

Never known them fail. Brilliant firm, reasonable prices, experienced staff.

There are a few to choose from on this page (and some useful part numbers)       https://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/various-marine-alternators-dd135nproducts1684curpage-2-1684-c.asp    Some engines were fitted with insulated return alternators, so check your wiring. The insulated return alternator isn't always required as they often just connected the negative to the mounting bracket!

Edited by Eeyore

21 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Phone Lancashire Rotating Electricals at Leyland 01772623600  who will be able to identify the alternator, maybe needing a few photos.

Never known them fail. Brilliant firm, reasonable prices, experienced staff.

Hi Tracey, I have contacted these folks, very knowledgeable and helpful. They have offered me two alternators A: 70amp B: 90amp, only about £20 difference between the two. My current alternator is a 80 amp,  it is charging 1 * 12v 110 amp starter battery, no split charger,  occasionally the engine labours for a few minutes when setting off if I have the Sterling inverter/charger on,  in your opinion, is it worth going for the 90amp?

Thanks

Have you ruled out it being a failed regulator? My recent alternator issue was cured by this easy replacement job - turned out to be a broken brush which is part of the regulator assy. Lancashire Rotating Electrics identified the component and supplied it, so I'd add a+1 to @Tracy D'arth Tracy's recommendation. Fair bit cheaper than a new alternator! 

10 minutes ago, Fender151 said:

Hi Tracey, I have contacted these folks, very knowledgeable and helpful. They have offered me two alternators A: 70amp B: 90amp, only about £20 difference between the two. My current alternator is a 80 amp,  it is charging 1 * 12v 110 amp starter battery, no split charger,  occasionally the engine labours for a few minutes when setting off if I have the Sterling inverter/charger on,  in your opinion, is it worth going for the 90amp?

Thanks

I'd stick with the 80 or 70 amp if your only charging one battery, less strain on the drive belt.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Have you ruled out it being a failed regulator? My recent alternator issue was cured by this easy replacement job - turned out to be a broken brush which is part of the regulator assy. Lancashire Rotating Electrics identified the component and supplied it, so I'd add a+1 to @Tracy D'arth Tracy's recommendation. Fair bit cheaper than a new alternator! 

Thanks for your thoughts, the bearing on my alternator is not in good shape, sounding a bit crunchy,  it's a real PITA to remove, so I am going to go for a new unit, I  only want to do this once!!

Cheers

33 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I'd stick with the 80 or 70 amp if your only charging one battery, less strain on the drive belt.

OK, makes sense, it'll me a 70amp me thinks.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Fender151 said:

occasionally the engine labours for a few minutes when setting off if I have the Sterling inverter/charger on,  in your opinion, is it worth going for the 90amp?

Are you sure there is no split charging going on ? The above suggests otherwise unless your inverter is running off the starter battery?

Personally I'd pay the extra for the 90A, it will only strain the belt etc if its pulling more amps and mostly will be working less hard ...  if you ever decide to couple the alternators or need the starter to charge the house batteries you may be glad of the extra....

13 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Are you sure there is no split charging going on ? The above suggests otherwise unless your inverter is running off the starter battery?

It is probably the domestic alternator that is loading the engine and we don't know that one's output. If it is another 70 amp job then you are probably correct, but if it is 150 amps then probably not.

Hi Tony,

The domestic alternator is a 110 amps, does this configuration of alternators suggest it is the  domestic that is loading the engine, if this is the case, then I cant see any benefit in replacing the current 80 amps alternator with a 90 amps, if as Bizzard suggests, it would increase the load on the belt?

Thanks

Unless you have an arrangement whereby the engine alternator also charges the domestic batteries (some kind of split charge device) then there is no point in having a big engine alternator. Starting the engine uses less than 1Ah and that will be replenished a minute or so after starting even with quite a small alternator. On our Beta 43 the start alternator is 45A and more than up to the job. But as I say, be sure the engine alternator isn’t also being hijacked by the domestic batteries!