Clothes drying- a clever solution

Tony1

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, DShK said:

I use my brolly mate the other way around, to how it's designed - so it inserts just over the end and the rotary pipe goes right through and touches the deck. I then use my stern line to secure it to the bottom of the tiller. I've had my washing flapping in strongish winds and it's not budged. 

Why of course! How could I have been so blind? That arrangement would be much more stable than planting the rotary airer on top of the tiller, as I thought one might. 

How can I have been on this Earth for so many years, and only yesterday learned of the existence of this marvel of man's ingenuity?

It strikes me that the noble brolley-mate deserves its own internet user forum- or at the very least its own section within this forum.

Edited by Tony1

Stauff clamps are really cool. Designed for hydraulic hoses on big diggers they are also adaptable to all sorts of jobs on boats. Including getting a vertical mounting on a tiller swan neck / rams head. 

As for drying I have one of these tiny little tumble dryers and it is excellent. I reduced the outlet hose to about 40mm. Not something to leave unattended as it is a fairly obvious fire risk but as it forms part of my seat I tend to be on top of it when it is running. 

Hot and cold tumble options. It's quite a lot smaller than a compact washing machine like the Zanussi. Proper small thing but a real one not Mickey mouse. 

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eiqmtd2w/electriq-eiqmtd2w-freestanding-vented-tumble-dryer

(This is on a boat with mains connection. For off grid you would want a big inverter good batteries and good charging. 

At one time there was an idea of using a microwave to dry clothes but I don't think it caught on. 

Edited by magnetman

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Errr, tumble drier, obviously! Something to use up some of that excess solar power with. Line dried clothes are harsh on my delicate skin and pick up all sorts of pollution from birdy-poop to pollen to dust to Putin’s nuclear fallout. Plus, it always rains just before the clothes are fully dry.

Whereas tumble dried clothes are super soft and smell nice. No brainier!

Lack of kitchen space old chap- the curse of the 50ft boat owner. 

I would have to sleep with said dryer on my head. 

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Errr, tumble drier, obviously! Something to use up some of that excess solar power with. Line dried clothes are harsh on my delicate skin and pick up all sorts of pollution from birdy-poop to pollen to dust to Putin’s nuclear fallout. Plus, it always rains just before the clothes are fully dry.

Whereas tumble dried clothes are super soft and smell nice. No brainier!

Yep, or just flick the travel power on whilst moving, simples.

7 hours ago, MtB said:

Another solution to this problem was hit upon (I think) by Mark E Smith, otherwise known as The Fall. Being on tour presents similar problems to yours, and his solution appeared to be never to wash anything, just throw it away and put on new clothes. Having seen them perform several times I came to notice horizontal creases across his shirt every time, which suggested to me he wore a freshly unboxed shirt for every gig. 

RIP Mark E

Alternatively charity shops.

I have picked up two pairs of hardly worn designer jeans today for £1 each freshly washed and ironed.

Gave them £5 so I didn't feel too bad about the deal 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Why of course! How could I have been so blind? That arrangement would be much more stable than planting the rotary airer on top of the tiller, as I thought one might. 

How can I have been on this Earth for so many years, and only yesterday learned of the existence of this marvel of man's ingenuity?

It strikes me that the noble brolley-mate deserves its own internet user forum- or at the very least its own section within this forum.

It's not perfect, it doesn't screw in quite the same as the other way round - hence the need to tie it to the tiller with the stern line. Before I tied it up like this I did come back to my line being upside down (luckily no washing in the cut though!)