How to find bardge maker

Jason rigby

Featured Posts

Hi I have a 57 dry Dock shell being sorted slowly just wondering how to fine out who made it told its 1997 can't make out the  brass plate on engine I know it's not a springer as told they have are flat at the back mine comes to a v wear propshaft comes out any idears 

7 minutes ago, Jason rigby said:

Hi I have a 57 dry Dock shell being sorted slowly just wondering how to fine out who made it told its 1997 can't make out the  brass plate on engine I know it's not a springer as told they have are flat at the back mine comes to a v wear propshaft comes out any idears 

They all have some sort of a V where the propshaft comes out.  No idea what a dry Dock shell is supposed to mean.

If you post some photos there are many here who can probably identify it for you, but there is always the chance it is a one-off or homemade.

32 minutes ago, Jason rigby said:

A brass plate on the engine will be to do with the engine, not the shell builder. 

As others have said, there have been hundreds of builders, some making only one, others building thousands, and yet more building something in between. About the only chance of identifying your builder is if you post loads of photos, ranging from the whole boat seen from lots of directions, down to detail photos of the bow, stern, swim, windows, doors, etc. 

Edited by MtB
spelling

37 minutes ago, Jason rigby said:

Can we assume that are talking about a narrow boat rather than a barge?

It is much more  likely the brass badge on the engine is the engine manufacturer rather than boat builder.

A little more detail, including a photo might be helpful.

Howard

1 hour ago, Jason rigby said:

Springer did also make a lot of narrow boats with a V shaped stern. 

It will be a Springer. Not 1997 though. More like 1977. 

ETA re-reading the detail you say it's a V where the prop comes out. This is normal regardless of builder if you mean the bit that would be below the water . It's called the swim. 

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, howardang said:

Can we assume that are talking about a narrow boat rather than a barge?

If we're being pedantic can we assume that by "barge" you mean broad beam flat bottom boat? Narrow boats do fall under the broader definition of the term barge after all. 

barge
/bɑːdʒ/

a long flat-bottomed boat for carrying freight on canals and rivers, either under its own power or towed by another.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

If we're being pedantic can we assume that by "barge" you mean broad beam flat bottom boat? Narrow boats do fall under the broader definition of the term barge after all. 

barge
/bɑːdʒ/

a long flat-bottomed boat for carrying freight on canals and rivers, either under its own power or towed by another.

For heavens sake, I was trying to be helpful. Nit picking is not needed.

Howard

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

barge
/bɑːdʒ/

Yes bardge flat bottom ie narrow boat 

20 minutes ago, Jason rigby said:

No it a shell

This is very unusual. Was this shell never built up into a finished boat? 

The point is, if it was ever a boat used on the canal network, it will have been given a registration number which will be either signwritten onto the boat or fixed on with embossed aluminium plates. This number will usually identify the builder. What number does yours have?

Edited by MtB

Shell, no licence plate, no documentation........could this have been never used on the canals? If not, why not? And if that's the case, I believe its "part-complete" and should have Annex 111a declaration. Without this, once home built and complete you can't sell it, or even try to sell it, in 5 years. You'd need to obtain BSS and insurance will be more difficult to find. 

See https://rugbyboats.co.uk/recreational-craft-directive/

Personally, I'd not touch it with a barge pole.....

Edited by Paul C

26 minutes ago, MtB said:

The point is, if it was ever a boat used on the canal network, it will have been given a registration number which will be either signwritten onto the boat or fixed on with embossed aluminium plates. This number will usually identify the builder. What number does yours have?

Just shell no plate or name can make out 

27 minutes ago, MtB said:

Nothing 

IMG-20220513-WA0008.jpg

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes but with no markings it  was just a shell 

IMG-20220513-WA0008.jpg

I fear that the RCD/RCR requirements may cause you all sorts of problems if you ever want to sell it for what it will be worth. I think a 1997 hull should have that Annex 111a certificate to prove it meets the RCD/RCR requirements. Then you will need to fit out/build to the RCD/RCR ISOs. Possibly easier to get a surveyor who specializes in RCD/RCR documents and compliance before you do too much work.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I fear that the RCD/RCR requirements may cause you all sorts of problems if you ever want to sell it for what it will be worth. I think a 1997 hull should have that Annex 111a certificate to prove it meets the RCD/RCR requirements. Then you will need to fit out/build to the RCD/RCR ISOs. Possibly easier to get a surveyor who specializes in RCD/RCR documents and compliance before you do too much work.

I'd fully expect it to be a 2017 shell, irrespective of it actually being a later build :

On 18 January 2017, the new European Union (EU) Recreational Craft Directive becomes mandatory, affecting not only those designers and manufacturers who operate within Europe, but also international manufacturers and distributors wishing to trade to the European market. This makes understanding the requirements of the new Recreational Craft Directive relevant to those operating in Europe, as well as further afield.

Regulation in the marine industry is becoming increasingly stringent, and meeting the highest standards in safety and quality is key to maintaining a commercial advantage in a competitive market. The Recreational Craft Directive in particular is one example of a standard regulation that is evolving, with a view to improving the safety and quality of craft sold and operated within the EU.

The original Recreational Craft Directive was brought into force on 15th June 1998, and is applicable to craft built after that date of between 2.5 and 24 meters in hull length that are intended for sport and leisure use, regardless of the means of propulsion. 

The directive was later amended to widen both the scope of the craft affected by the regulation, for example to include personal watercraft such as jet skis, and also to increase the scale of the survey to now include exhaust and noise emissions. As technological advances drive the ever increasing use of new and innovative recreational craft designs, cutting edge vessels are entering the market that do not necessarily conform to a standard layout or design. Therefore ensuring that regulations are applicable to both traditional craft as well as groundbreaking new designs, is crucial to ensuring a consistent level of safety and quality is maintained across the entire industry. The regulations need to evolve to reflect the scope and breadth of the market today.

The Recreational Craft Directive sets out a clear set of safety and quality standards which must be met before a craft can be certified. Without this certification the craft cannot be sold or operated within the EU/UK and this applies to all craft, fully or partially built, and constructed within or imported from without EU/UK waters. The requirements of the directive, known as Essential Requirements (ER), cover all aspects of the design, manufacture and operation of the craft, including strength of construction, stability and handling, fuel handling systems and documentation. Both the vessel builder and the owner or importer, are legally responsible for ensuring that the craft is evaluated and is certified to have met the required standards, before the craft can be bought, sold or operated within the EU/UK.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Bin told it was on canal near Buckinghamshire 

30 minutes ago, Jason rigby said:

Bin told it was on canal near Buckinghamshire 

That is as maybe but nowadays, you need documentation if you carry out major works that puts the boat in scope of the RCR/RCD, so if you have thoughts of fitting a cabin and completing it then my reading of the docs is that as it was never completed it will become a 2022+ boat. Fully within scope of the RCR/RCD requirements so without the Annex111a certificate the hull can not be considered compliant.

There is nothing to stop you completing the boat in any way you wish, apart from needing to meet the BSS requirements but without having the RCR/RCD documents selling it becomes an illegal act. I am sure it would be sellable on a cash paid and no questions asked basis as a one to one transaction at some discount, but that does not make doing so legal. I just want you to take care and find out what the law now says. It altered not so long ago and the old version was far less stringent.

Edited by Tony Brooks