Rigas Dizelis engines

ERG

Featured Posts

Does anyone know where I can find a video of a Rigas Dizelis engine running. I know they are loud but would like to know how much so  Wanting to buy a boat with this engine as a tour boat so want to know if the passengers will be able to hear me or if the engine will drown me out. Also no clue how to start these engines, I've heard they are smokey when cold but not sure how easy they are to get going as I will be doing trips all day I need to know will it run itself n is the process complex. if I'm waiting for passengers n turn engine off is it going to be a task to get it running again?  thanks so much I advance. picture below. 

Screenshot_20220702-125247_Samsung Internet.jpg

Peter Thompson imported a number of these after the last of the Lister HA/HB series dried up. 

Can't see why starting should be a problem - I assume it's fitted with electric start. Might be a bit smoky when cold, but that won't be an issue if restarting when hot.

They were sold by Peter Thompson, when he was Marine Engine Services,  and John Pattle was trained on them to be the support/service fitter during warranty.

Might be worth trying to contact either of them. John was probably at Braunston last week!

N

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

They were sold by Peter Thompson, when he was Marine Engine Services,  and John Pattle was trained on them to be the support/service fitter during warranty.

Might be worth trying to contact either of them. John was probably at Braunston last week!

N

Think John Pattle hails out of Barby moorings. His boat is moored very close to its entrance on the mainline

2 minutes ago, BEngo said:

N

I worked on one, about 25 years ago: I remember it being noisy and the gearbox was also, I think, a Rigas one and clunky.

that doesn't sound good. 

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Peter Thompson imported a number of these after the last of the Lister HA/HB series dried up. 

Can't see why starting should be a problem - I assume it's fitted with electric start. Might be a bit smoky when cold, but that won't be an issue if restarting when hot.

yes never thought about that, once it's warmed it should be OK to restart. However, I'm just a bit worried about noise.  

2 hours ago, ERG said:

that doesn't sound good. 

yes never thought about that, once it's warmed it should be OK to restart. However, I'm just a bit worried about noise.  

They sound like engines much larger. Is your gonna be in a narrowboat? In a separate engine room or under the deck? What sort of trip boat? The installation details are the determining factor regarding the noise. 

I believe Simon Wain has one in Oberon. Pretty sure it is electric start! 

They are very noisy in my experience and who knows what the spares situation is now. Last engine I would think is suitable for a trip boat unless you want to shake em up, smoke em out and deafen them but may be that is part of the experience.

30 minutes ago, MtB said:

They sound like engines much larger. Is your gonna be in a narrowboat? In a separate engine room or under the deck? What sort of trip boat? The installation details are the determining factor regarding the noise. 

I believe Simon Wain has one in Oberon. Pretty sure it is electric start! 

it's in an engine room on deck. 

15 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

They are very noisy in my experience and who knows what the spares situation is now. Last engine I would think is suitable for a trip boat unless you want to shake em up, smoke em out and deafen them but may be that is part of the experience.

no defiantly not wanting to do that. we may need to reconsider

12 minutes ago, ERG said:

no but engine looks same

Well it would, as it too has a Rigas!

32 minutes ago, ERG said:

it's in an engine room on deck. 

Puzzling. Could you explain in a bit more detail, please?