Are boaters getting more selfish or is it just the world in general

tagulablue

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

For me it's the boat who, on either a visitor mooring or out in the middle of nowhere, with acres of space, moors tight up against you and then leaves the engine running for hours while they lock up and go for a walk. Or there's the one with the blasted parrot shrieking in a cage on the front deck, who moored up two feet away from my back doors two days running.

Only 'cos the parrot had been trained to shriek,"Shoot the Trombonist, Shoot the Trombonist";)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

For me it's the boat who, on either a visitor mooring or out in the middle of nowhere, with acres of space, moors tight up against you and then leaves the engine running for hours while they lock up and go for a walk. Or there's the one with the blasted parrot shrieking in a cage on the front deck, who moored up two feet away from my back doors two days running.

I can only imagine that people who moor ten feet away on a long empty stretch are labouring under the grave misapprehension that I am a normal sociable person who is willing to chat to them. 

Or perhaps they seeking a feeling of safety in numbers?

I do feel like pointing out that their personal safety is actually decreased by close proximity to me, but what I actually do is force my reluctant lips into a grim smile, and nod curtly. 

I've heard of some social events where people wear wristbands with certain colours to denote whether they are single, taken, looking, not looking, or whatever. 

Perhaps boaters could fly little flags with the same purpose? A skull and crossbones flag could be the social equivalent of "f**k off".

Until we have such a sensible system to ward off friendly boaters, there is a proven method: buy a small, very tatty, and very old GRP cruiser, enhance it with a badly-constructed (and unpainted) wooden cabin, and install a large antisocial Rottweiler therein.

Oh- and if possible, blow loudly into a trombone.

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 1

On 02/07/2022 at 11:52, agg221 said:

We may have given a bit of an impression at Norbury a few weeks ago, as we were on the water point for an hour, but we genuinely were filling up with water the whole time and the tank still wasn't even full when we left!

Sometimes things aren't quite what they seem.

Alec

Was the problem the supply or the size of your tank?

On 02/07/2022 at 12:31, Heartland said:

The CRT have published codes, how many adopt them ?

Do people even know they exist?

On 02/07/2022 at 12:43, Arthur Marshall said:

When was the last time a driver read the Highway Code? Usually when they took their test. It's changed a bit since then...

No one reads codes. Like the safety instructions on stuff you buy, and  CRTs "be aware" signs they're there so the issuing body can avoid responsibility, and a lot cheaper than installing speed bumps or those slowing down barriers, or, in fact, maintenance and policing your rules.

But at least you know that at one time a driver has read the Highway Code.

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

I can only imagine that people who moor ten feet away on a long empty stretch are labouring under the grave misapprehension that I am a normal sociable person who is willing to chat to them. 

Or perhaps they seeking a feeling of safety in numbers?

I do feel like pointing out that their personal safety is actually decreased by close proximity to me, but what I actually do is force my reluctant lips into a grim smile, and nod curtly. 

I've heard of some social events where people wear wristbands with certain colours to denote whether they are single, taken, looking, not looking, or whatever. 

Perhaps boaters could fly little flags with the same purpose? A skull and crossbones flag could be the social equivalent of "f**k off".

Until we have such a sensible system to ward off friendly boaters, there is a proven method: buy a small, very tatty, and very old GRP cruiser, enhance it with a badly-constructed (and unpainted) wooden cabin, and install a large antisocial Rottweiler therein.

Oh- and if possible, blow loudly into a trombone.

I  would like to point that, being asocial but not antisocial, I NEVER play the trombone, even with the mute, if there are other boats in earshot! Not even between the hours of 8am to 8pm.

52 minutes ago, Maffi said:

A bit of both. We have a large tank which had been drained while we sorted out the water pump and the tap wasn't very fast. We were hoping to go through the Dudley tunnel which we fit but it's easier if the nose is brought down.

Alec

• Happy 1

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I  would like to point that, being asocial but not antisocial, I NEVER play the trombone, even with the mute, if there are other boats in earshot! Not even between the hours of 8am to 8pm.

That's jolly decent of you. 

I don't want to give the impression that I'm anti-trombonal. If anything I'm atrombonal.

But if I did have one and I was on a remote mooring, and another boat came cruising into view, I would pick the thing up and start blowing into it as hard as I could, and I wouldn't stop blowing until they had passed out of sight.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

But if I did have one and I was on a remote mooring, and another boat came cruising into view, I would pick the thing up and start blowing into it as hard as I could, and I wouldn't stop blowing until they had passed out of sight. 

Of course there is a risk that at this point they smile, wave happily, dive into the cabin, resurface with a set of bagpipes and join in.

Alec

8 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

I seem to recall previous threads about the positioning of teapots and the orientation of their spouts had some significance.

A friend told me that some tourist bars in Thailand have colour coded beer mats for this purpose, but I do like the idea of a flag for boaters in an antisocial mood.  

11 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Of course there is a risk that at this point they smile, wave happily, dive into the cabin, resurface with a set of bagpipes and join in.

Alec

I'd offer them a beer to shut the hell up- I know when I'm beaten 😄

2 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Perhaps boaters could fly little flags with the same purpose?

You must be fairly new to the boating game - do a forum search for "teapot meanings"

Teapot on the roof near the slide and the direction of the spout signifies several of the things you have mentioned.

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You must be fairly new to the boating game - do a forum search for "teapot meanings"

Teapot on the roof near the slide and the direction of the spout signifies several of the things you have mentioned.

Never could get my head around all that lot

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I identify as a transsexual squirrel on weekdays, so I keep my thermal cup on the roof with the handle facing out. 

It's a bit niche to be fair, and I've 

not had much luck dating lately.

Edited by Tony1
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, Maffi said:

The water pressure is dire to say the least. I was once accused of doing my washing by a silly person. I’d already queued for 1 hour. Best bit didn’t even have a washing machine on the boat.The silly person wasn’t having it so had to persuade him that he may what to take swimming lessons.😜

All this reminds me of an evening a few years ago when we were looking for a mooring and came round a bend to see a long straight with lots of armco and one boat moored at the near end. I chucked back to slow the boat and crept past it figuring that there may well be enough water just past him to get to the side a length or two down. As we came alongside the side hatch opened and a head popped out. "Are you wanting to moor?" He said. "Certainly are" we replied. "Aah, could you please not moor near us as we have come out here for a bit of a party. We are watching a film, having some music on and running our engine until late." "Fine" we replied and moved on to the far end of the armco about a quarter of a mile down. Later, whilst walking the cat I could just hear the music, but in the boat, nothing. We had a good night and presumably they did too. We were surprised at the time but on reflection it was handled well and everybody was happy so no harm done.