Are boaters getting more selfish or is it just the world in general

tagulablue

Featured Posts

Moored up last mooring before water point.  Boat coming off water point looking to moor in gap behind us.  We couldn't cos would have been well onto water point but the guy behind us had 15' behind him reluctantly agrred to move back... moved back a little but didnt want to go within 6' of next boat because he didn't want to be too close!  Then at 4pm a private owned live aboard arrived on water point.  Moored up ...went inside and didn't reappear until they went to the pub for a meal.  9 o'clock this morning they finally got hose pipe and filled up.  All that hard work obviously gave them an appetite...  so hey ho they went back inside and cooked/ate breakfast... Finally moved off ...over 17 hours after they arrived... Then the last incident was a guy having lunch in the lock cos he thought it was quiet and saved him mooring up... 

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1
  • Horror 2

37 minutes ago, tagulablue said:

Moored up last mooring before water point.  Boat coming off water point looking to moor in gap behind us.  We couldn't cos would have been well onto water point but the guy behind us had 15' behind him reluctantly agrred to move back... moved back a little but didnt want to go within 6' of next boat because he didn't want to be too close!  Then at 4pm a private owned live aboard arrived on water point.  Moored up ...went inside and didn't reappear until they went to the pub for a meal.  9 o'clock this morning they finally got hose pipe and filled up.  All that hard work obviously gave them an appetite...  so hey ho they went back inside and cooked/ate breakfast... Finally moved off ...over 17 hours after they arrived... Then the last incident was a guy having lunch in the lock cos he thought it was quiet and saved him mooring up... 

Unfortunately you are right. A general increasing sense of self importance, entitlement and thinking the rules only apply to other people (where could they get that idea from?), or even not being aware of what the rules are due to it not even occurring to them to bother to find out. It’s all about me. The further SE you go, the worse it gets.

But it also has to be said that these people remain a small minority, the majority of boaters are considerate people. It’s just that the minority stand out.

We did once come across a seemingly abandoned boat in a lock, transpired the guy was inside having a poo! But we didn’t mind too much, it was the Ashton flight and we only saw one other boat that day, so he/we was unlucky!

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, tagulablue said:

Then the last incident was a guy having lunch in the lock cos he thought it was quiet and saved him mooring up... 

Cycle the lock while he's inside the boat eating.

It tends to refocus their attention ...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

One data point is not evidence of a trend. Or two, even!

But I still think you're right. Overstaying on the 48hr VMs here is rife nowadays. Worst so far has been about a year but gone now. One on the 14 day VMs at Froxfield has been there since March.

"Society" is empowered today - it's me,me,me and devil take the hindmost.

Whe I were a lad I was taught to raise my school cap to anyone who made eye or other contact. That always raised smiles of folks waiting for the 37 bus (London) - so I made it more exagerated as time went by and was rewarded with even more smiles and laughter. It made me feel good and I suspect so did the bus queue.

Moral: have regard for your fellow man and woman and you'll be rewarded...

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, MtB said:

One data point is not evidence of a trend. Or two, even!

Make that 5 in 24 hours.  Just been hit twice in the last 15 minutes and not a sorry from either.. I know knocks and bumps happen but a sorry costs nothing 

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

"Society" is empowered today - it's me,me,me and devil take the hindmost.

Whe I were a lad I was taught to raise my school cap to anyone who made eye or other contact. That always raised smiles of folks waiting for the 37 bus (London) - so I made it more exagerated as time went by and was rewarded with even more smiles and laughter. It made me feel good and I suspect so did the bus queue.

Moral: have regard for your fellow man and woman and you'll be rewarded...

I was brought up to stand aside and allow women to go first though a door etc. My first day of travelling on public transport upon starting work I got off the tube and stood at a nearby bus stop. Unbeknown to me a local factory had just finished for twigged day and it's army of female workers decended on the bus queue. After the third bus I was still standing there like an idiot. By the time the fourth bus arrived I twigged what to do. Silently apologising to my mum I fought my way onto the bus a somewhat disillusioned person.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

In the past I've come across boats moored at the water point. Often i just move on to the next, but on one occasion i needed to fill up then. There wasn't anyone onboard so i double breasted up and pulled my hose over his boat and began filling up. He returned just as i was finishing and wasn't too please but didn't say anything...

• Greenie 3

I had one on the lock landing, moored up, in pub.

As a widebeam I had a bit of hassle getting on to towpath, had to tie on to his stern rail and clamber over the stern deck, which was slippy with diesel.

I lifted a handy no parking traffic cone, put it on roof with a polite note. No mooring either.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

We may have given a bit of an impression at Norbury a few weeks ago, as we were on the water point for an hour, but we genuinely were filling up with water the whole time and the tank still wasn't even full when we left!

Sometimes things aren't quite what they seem.

Alec

• Greenie 1

There does seem to be growing selfishness, or is there a lack of understanding ? 

Selfishness is particularly seen through those cyclists who speed past moored boats, through illegal electric scooters who seem to have no moral values and graffiti artists who think they have the right to daub their tribal scrawls all over the network painting anything that does not move.

The CRT have published codes, how many adopt them ?

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The CRT have published codes, how many adopt them ?

When was the last time a driver read the Highway Code? Usually when they took their test. It's changed a bit since then...

No-one reads codes. Like the safety instructions on stuff you buy, and  CRTs "be aware" signs  they're there so the issuing body can avoid responsibility, and a lot cheaper than installing speed bumps or those slowing down barriers, or, in fact, maintainence and policing your rules.

• Greenie 3

A while ago I was listening to a programme on Radio 4 about growing selfishness in society.

The essence was we are now in a ME generation instead of a WE generation.

To quote: "These are masters of the me-universe who expect the world to revolve around the axis of their own ego."

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates.

Or maybe not Socrates.

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2009-October/093686.html

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

He probably said it when Plato wasn't listening.

I'll revert to Biblical treatment of rude children, then:

" Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!”  When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. "

That would larn them. I can never remember whether it was Elijah or Elisha, but I wouldn't want to moor near either with a genny running.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, robtheplod said:

In the past I've come across boats moored at the water point. Often i just move on to the next, but on one occasion i needed to fill up then. There wasn't anyone onboard so i double breasted up and pulled my hose over his boat and began filling up. He returned just as i was finishing and wasn't too please but didn't say anything...

I had a similar experience at Great Haywood last year.

Early start to get water before the queues, only to find a boat overnighting on the only working tap.

Breasted up against him, ran my hose over his foredeck and began to fill up. Angry man came out of boat in his pyjamas and demanded to know what I was doing.

"Filling up with water" I replied, strangely he didn't answer when I asked him why he was moored on a water point.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Greenie 1

Standards are set from the top by leaders. Unfortunately the ones at the top show no leadership and are full of self entitlement and rules dont apply to us. This then filters down to society. 

I was always taught a leaders lowest standard is the subordinates highest standard. 

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Chris John said:

Standards are set from the top by leaders. Unfortunately the ones at the top show no leadership and are full of self entitlement and rules dont apply to us. This then filters down to society. 

I was always taught a leaders lowest standard is the subordinates highest standard. 

I think it's always been like that, but now we know it, much to their annoyance. Luckily, most people still behave well.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We set out from Fazeley today, via the services for a pump out. En route from pontoon to services, a boat popped in in front of us. They were very nice. Then went up Glascote, met some people who were all very nice. Passed various people on moored boats and walking the towpath, all very nice. Went up Atherstone, fairly quiet but passed 4 boats coming the other way near the top. All very nice, gates left open for us, nobody turned a lock. After the top we cruised on for a bit to moor in the countryside. We passed a group of boats moored on a sharp bend just after a bridge, they were fishing. Suddenly a hire boat appeared around the bushes on the bend, opposite direction, way over on our side of the cut, followed closely by a hire second boat doing same. Just come out of Springwood Haven an hour or two earlier. A bit of manoeuvring ensued to avoid collision. They were very nice and apologised, apparently the fishermen had asked them to keep away from their rods (despite the fishermen/moored boaters presumably being able to see us, as they were on the apex of the bend). The hire boat got into a bit of manoeuvring difficulty what with the moored boats, our boat coming the other way, sharp bend immediately into a bridge etc and nearly hit the boat that was moored right on the apex of the blind bend. But it didn’t hit it, although it bobbed about a bit as the hire boat sensibly used some power to gain steerage. Moored boater shouted “Fuckin Hell!” as if someone had died, but in fact no-one had died, it was just that his boat, moored right on the apex of the bend and very close to the bridge, had bobbed about a bit. Nasty person.

So overall, the score was a large number of nice people vs one nasty (and stupid and entitled) person. Which is not too bad.

I agree. A rather nice boat just passed me with a nice sounding enjun, steered by two nice looking gurls. I asked them what the engine was and they looked pleased to be asked and said it was a Lister. I looked perplexed as there are so many and asked "a JP?" to which they gleefully nodded and said "Yes!" 

I still think it might have been an HRW2 as tickover as they passed still sounded a bit fast.

Nice peeeples though, unlike them on the water point a few weeks ago. I asked if they were gonna be long and they said "An hour or so, we are just about to have lunch". Shellfish gits.

• Greenie 2

Interesting that the expression "fuckin hell" would be potentially related to someone dying. 

I must be more careful around this. 

As for other boaters they are all wonderful and beauteous which is terrific. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Interesting that the expression "fuckin hell" would be potentially related to someone dying. 

I must be more careful around this. 

As for other boaters they are all wonderful and beauteous which is terrific. 

Are you on the same as me?