Leeds & Liverpool Canal Major Stoppage

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Just had a notification that as of 18th July all the locks between Skipton and The Leigh Branch will be closed.

So if you’re in Skipton, which we are, and want to be around Chorley mid August, which we do, and are thinking about getting down onto the South Oxford for later in the year, which we are, you are in trouble.

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

It's just started raining in lancashire.... fingers Crossed its enough to make a difference but not holding my breath

Of course it's raining in Lancashire 😕. We decided to move moorings whilst it was quiet.🌧️

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

So if you’re in Skipton, which we are, and want to be around Chorley mid August, which we do, and are thinking about getting down onto the South Oxford for later in the year, which we are, you are in trouble.

Not really.  Drop down Wigan in the next fortnight and take the bus back to Chorley.  It's £3.70 standard adult single or a fiver for a day ticket.

Or the train is a tenner.

Skipton to Wigan is doable in three days if you get a wiggle on, wave on your way past!

• Happy 1

We are still thinking as to what to do! Our ‘getting a wiggle on’ is past us but something between that and giving up is doable I suppose.

Bus is cheap for a semi old bloke and his semi old better half as we have both been awarded bus passes. As a Lancastrian I am ashamed to admit that I quite like the county I am in. There, I nearly said it. But having lived South of Watford for over 50 years, my resistance to the weather up here may not be what it once was. But I’m sure I’d survive.

We will come to a decision in short time and progress some what towards a wiggle.

Thank you for the nudge.

Edited by Nightwatch

With thanks to Buddy Holly

Everyday :

Everyday, it's a-gettin' closer
Goin' faster, than a roller coaster
L&L closures, will surely come my way
(A-hey, a-hey, hey)

Everyday, it's a-gettin' faster
Everyone said, "Go ahead and ask them"
L&L closures will surely come my way
(A-hey, a-hey, hey)

Every one takes a little longer
Every one, repairs a little stronger
Come what may, do you ever long for
No closures on the L&L?
(A-hey, a-hey, hey)

On 02/07/2022 at 09:38, Alan de Enfield said:

Everyday, it's a-gettin' closer
Goin' faster, than a roller coaster
L&L closures, will surely come my way
(A-hey, a-hey, hey)

... and another one has.

"Lock 10, Forge Top Lock is closed due to emergency repairs to the cill,"

Edited by Midnight
  • Horror 1

The Bradford Canal also had problems with its infrastructure, and they resulted in its closure exactly 100 years ago on Friday 15th July. The L&LC Society is opening up its heritage boat Kennet to the public at Gallows Bridge, close to the junction with the Bradford Canal, from 11am to 4pm on the weekend of 16/17 to commemorate the event. One of our members will be leading a walk to look at the remains of the canal at 11-15 on Saturday 16th from Gallows Bridge. The event is open to all.

Not sure what we will be doing with Kennet afterwards as we have to wait and see what the depth is like at the temporary repair at Bradley.

• Greenie 1

Heard today from a local source in Gargrave that Eshton lock failure was caused by the pressure grouting C&RT contractors did several years ago. If that is the case then expect further lock wall collapses as I recall going up Bank Newton locks whilst they were working their way up with bits of expanding foam floating around. Hopefully this is just speculation as we wish to return to base via the L&L in October. Assuming of course we can actually escape from Yorkshire later this month.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Heard today from a local source in Gargrave that Eshton lock failure was caused by the pressure grouting C&RT contractors did several years ago. If that is the case then expect further lock wall collapses as I recall going up Bank Newton locks whilst they were working their way up with bits of expanding foam floating around. Hopefully this is just speculation as we wish to return to base via the L&L in October. Assuming of course we can actually escape from Yorkshire later this month.

I'm worried about leaving in case I can't return, (probably optimistic about leaving)

I've just had a nice email from waterside moorings telling me that as  I moor on the l&l I should be aware of the impending closure..

It would be easier if they emailed when it's open...

I have asked them when I can expect to receive my rebate on my mooring/licence fees.

(Yes I know they don't give rebates due to closures...) 

Edited by jonathanA
Sp

• 2 weeks later...

Wehave decided to stay east of Skipton and all points East and west towards Gargrave. I haven’t seen an update of the closure of all the locks from Gargrave to Poolstock. I guess it has happened as per the previous announcement.

Edited by Nightwatch

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Wehave decided to stay east of Skipton and all points west. I haven’t seen an update of the closure of all the locks from Gargrave to Poolstock. I guess it has happened.

All the lock flights are now closed. The Wigan junction and Poolstock are only open on Mondays and Thursdays and must be booked in advance.

There was one narrow boat at Wigan bottom lock this morning, unable to go up the flight and stuck until either Poolstock or Henhurst locks open on Thursday.

That's if there is a slot available.

• Greenie 1