RCR Fuel Levy

Midnight

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Never mind the extra VAT, are you implying the fuel duty element remains static? Or does it, like the VAT, rise proportionally with the base price of the fuel? 

I've an idea that something like 50% of what we pay for road fuel goes straight to the chancellor.  

As Arthur said, I believe that fuel duty has been fixed for quite a few years. In fact, to correct things, rather than reducing VAT on fuels, the Chancellor reduced fuel duty by 5p per litre, from 57p to 52p, effective March 2022.

As above, if he is honourable, ( :)  ), he should reduce it by a further 3p or 4p, in order to give us back the excess that he is collecting due to the price rise.

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, MtB said:

Makes ya wonder what the other lot would be adding to fuel duty, dunnit!!!

Well, given Starmers announcement today (we will not be rejoining the EU, we will not be rejoining the Customs Union) he'd probably do whatever Rishi Sunack suggested he do.

11 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

As Arthur said, I believe that fuel duty has been fixed for quite a few years. In fact, to correct things, rather than reducing VAT on fuels, the Chancellor reduced fuel duty by 5p per litre, from 57p to 52p, effective March 2022.

As above, if he is honourable, ( :)  ), he should reduce it by a further 3p or 4p, in order to give us back the excess that he is collecting due to the price rise.

Once fuel gets to this level, a few pence here and there make very little difference. Nobody with any sense denies the need for taxation, what gets up the nose is how little benefit we get from any of it. You do wonder where the hell it's going, because it isn't going anywhere that makes people's lives better. If we were a third world country, we might suspect our rulers are salting it off somewhere safe offshore for when they get kicked out of office, but that could never happen here.

• Greenie 2
  • Horror 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well, given Starmers announcement today (we will not be rejoining the EU, we will not be rejoining the Customs Union) he'd probably do whatever Rishi Sunack suggested he do.

He's a politician. That means the first thing he'll do after being elected is apply to join the single market and the customs union. You really should stop this rather naive faith of yours in politicians.

Or is it only Conservatives who are allowed to lie through their teeth and break their promises, manifesto commitments,  laws and treaties?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

He's a politician. That means the first thing he'll do after being elected is apply to join the single market and the customs union. You really should stop this rather naive faith of yours in politicians.

Or is it only Conservatives who are allowed to lie through their teeth and break their promises, manifesto commitments,  laws and treaties?

Starmer insists he is a man of integrity and "I can be trusted to tell the truth"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

'Yer-but' he has prior !!

You can say all sorts when you're in opposition with a whacking great majority against you. When you have to run the country, though, things may change.

He almost certainly has more integrity than anyone in the cabinet, but that really isn't saying much, is it? You know how to tell when a politician's lying, surely...

Anyway, I don't mind fifteen quid for a callout. If it's per visit, and the bloke has to go away for a part a couple of times,  though, I might quibble a bit. And if the guy turns up like one did, says "I don't know nuffink about Listers" and buggers off, when I've stressed it's a Lister problem, they can whistle!

• Greenie 1

On 01/07/2022 at 10:27, IanD said:

If the supermarkets deliver more goods in vans (especially from centralised depots like the automated one Ocado use) they sell less in stores, so need less space and fewer shelf-stackers and cashiers and tills and deliveries *to* the supermarkets...

Most stores deliver goods picked from the shelves, these still need to be stacked, so the shelf space argument doesn’t apply (to most)

5 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Apparently the Liberal Democrats lost a lot of their support from young people when they weren't able to deliver their election promise to scrap student loans when they were  in coalition with Labour.

When were they in coalition with labour?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Number 9 said:

When were they in coalition with labour?

1977. I'm not sure he's not got his politics confused though, but there is a general agreement on this forum that everything is definitely Labour's fault, even though they haven't been in power for what, twelve years?

• Greenie 1

On 01/07/2022 at 11:33, MichaelG said:

So if the fuel levy was to be based on distance travelled by the mechanic, something that is entirely out of the control of the customer, then the added costs could be significant. RCR really should reconsider and simply increase the membership fees to account for their increased costs.

Don't encourage them! We, as a nation, are much to ready to accept price increases.

On 01/07/2022 at 13:34, AndrewIC said:

Work out the total tax take per litre -  duty and VAT - at prices before Sunak announced the duty cut. Then work out the total tax take now. You’re looking in the wrong place for the scammers.

Our local Morisons has dropped in price and also heating oil is 10 p less this week.

On 01/07/2022 at 13:26, Arthur Marshall said:

As fuel costs must have been included in their original charges, is it really going to cost an extra fiftenn quid per callout? Although as some may involve seveal visits I suppose it well could. I'd be surprised if fuel ever drops below £1.60 though.

I got this in an email... quite clear

To this end we are notifying all customers that we will be applying a 'Fuel Levy of £15' on all callouts from the 15th July 22. A callout being where an engineer travels to you to undertake a repair.

Here’s the full mail i got yesterday;

Dear Mr Hudds Lad,

Member Code: 80110X

Unfortunately with fuel prices soaring our costs to supply services to our members is increasing exponentially. We have tried to ride though this but are now in a position that we need to address the situation.

We do not think it would be fair to raise memberships prices across the board and therefore we feel that a fuel charge on callouts would be appropriate as a temporary measure to ensure that costs are managed where they are incurred.

To this end we are notifying all customers that we will be applying a 'Fuel Levy of £15' on all callouts from the 15th July 22. A callout being where an engineer travels to you to undertake a repair.

We do appreciate that any cost increase is unwelcome but hope that you can understand our logic and appreciate that we have tried to protect membership costs from increases and applied this charge only where these fuel costs are incurred.

Yours sincerely,

The RCR Team

River Canal Rescue Ltd

1 minute ago, AndrewIC said:

The original version that I got didn’t specify the amount of the levy, I had to ask. I guess they got fed up with people asking!

Or worked out what they could get away with charging :( 

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Dear Mr Hudds Lad,

Unfortunately with fuel prices soaring our costs to supply services to our members is increasing exponentially. We have tried to ride though this but are now in a position that we need to address the situation.

We do not think it would be fair to raise memberships prices across the board and therefore we feel that a fuel charge on callouts would be appropriate as a temporary measure to ensure that costs are managed where they are incurred.

To this end we are notifying all customers that we will be applying a 'Fuel Levy of £15' on all callouts from the 15th July 22. A callout being where an engineer travels to you to undertake a repair.

We do appreciate that any cost increase is unwelcome but hope that you can understand our logic and appreciate that we have tried to protect membership costs from increases and applied this charge only where these fuel costs are incurred.

Yours sincerely,

The RCR Team

River Canal Rescue Ltd

Seems reasonable

On 04/07/2022 at 23:48, Arthur Marshall said:

So does Johnson.

Sounds like the old logic puzzle. A always tells the truth  B always lies, C tells the truth 50% if the time. If C says that B lied when he accused A of bring economical with the verite, who's lying?

I've just checked back, this is my email, lucky for me, the first time I've ever called them out was 2nd July.

Dear Mr Kevin Rymer,

Member Code:

Unfortunately with fuel prices soaring our costs to supply services to our members is increasing exponentially. We have tried to ride though this but are now in a position that we need to address this situation.

We so not think it would be fair to raise memberships prices across the board and therefore we feel that a fuel charge on callouts would be appropriate as a temporary measure to ensure that costs are managed where they are incurred.

To this end we are notifying all customers that we will be applying a 'Fuel Levy' on a all callouts from the 7th July 22.

We do appreciate that any cost increase is unwelcome but hope that you can understand our logic and appreciate that we have tried to protect membership costs from increases and applied this where these fuel costs are incurred.

Yours sincerely,

The RCR Team

River Canal Rescue Ltd

10 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Dear Mr Hudds Lad,

Yours sincerely,

The RCR Team

River Canal Rescue Ltd

This all looks thoroughly unprofessional to me. Why on earth is it "not fair" to raise prices across the board? This is the whole point of breakdown insurance. Everyone contributes equally to the smooth out the 'lumpiness' of otherwise paying nothing for years then getting an unmanageably large bill.

This looks to me like a step along the road to charging full price for each and every call out.  I mean, what about these stories we hear of where someone gets a £1000 gearbox replaced on their RCR breakdown insurance? Surely by their own argument this is equally 'unfair', as members not needing a new gearbox are partially contributing to the cost. 

The businesslike thing to do would be to raise their rates to cover their increased fuel (and other) costs. 

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

This all looks thoroughly unprofessional to me. Why on earth is it "not fair" to raise prices across the board? This is the whole point of breakdown insurance. Everyone contributes equally to the smooth out the 'lumpiness' of otherwise paying nothing for years then getting an unmanageably large bill.

This looks to me like a step along the road to charging full price for each and every call out.  I mean, what about these stories we hear of where someone gets a £1000 gearbox replaced on their RCR breakdown insurance? Surely by their own argument this is equally 'unfair', as members not needing a new gearbox are partially contributing to the cost. 

The businesslike thing to do would be to raise their rates to cover their increased fuel (and other) costs. 

Those £1k repairs are covered by the poor buggers they fleece for a new engine when all it needed was a control cable….supplied of course by one of their other companies….

• Greenie 1