Cruising on The Weaver- recommendations?

Stroudwater1

Featured Posts

We will only have a short time to go on the Weaver this year in our narrowboat , just 1 whole day and a half day. I think we probably will be able to get to  Winsford Flash end but not to Runcorn in that time.

Any particular recommendations as to what to see and mooring spots? The steam tug at Northwhich looks interesting.

Is turning easy if we head a little up towards Dutton/ Saltersford?

It’s a very long time since I was on the Weaver, all I can remember was a very strong pungent ammonia smell and a number of very large barges and some coasters 🤣 sadly mostly long gone ☹️

Had a similar length of time on the Weaver a few years back. No smell of Ammonia to clear the sinuses! Went up to Northwich to take a look round and see the framed buildings that can be jacked up to cope with subsidence from the salt extraction below. Then went to Acton Bridge to moor overnight, which gives you a big Weaver lock to go through. Back up the lift at Anderton the next day. Could wind the boat pretty much anywhere over that stretch, but didn't go further upstream than Northwich.

Have just done the run from the lift to Winsford. Left the lift at 1515 & arrived at Winsford at 1715. The lockies are brilliant and if you call them they will have the lock ready for you. The bridge just South of the Park Royal locks has an air tap of 6 feet 8 inches we just made it with a full water tank.

Winsford marina has very high sides above the waterline to the point where mooring roles off the roof bar are better. I also used the old wheelbarrow wheels as fenders - above the gunwales! So far  nice & quiet, it is now 10pm. The water point in the Marina does work so will be topping up before the return journey.

Return will be at a more leisurely pace rather than the 5 mph push against the flow.

• Greenie 1

Where is the tap at winsford flash? I filled up at the Northwich services. The lockie told me the winsford marina was too shallow for a narrowboat but I risked it and was ok, was deeper than castle field basin in Manchester anyway!

On 02/07/2022 at 22:01, DaveR said:

Have just done the run from the lift to Winsford. Left the lift at 1515 & arrived at Winsford at 1715. The lockies are brilliant and if you call them they will have the lock ready for you. The bridge just South of the Park Royal locks has an air tap of 6 feet 8 inches we just made it with a full water tank.

Winsford marina has very high sides above the waterline to the point where mooring roles off the roof bar are better. I also used the old wheelbarrow wheels as fenders - above the gunwales! So far  nice & quiet, it is now 10pm. The water point in the Marina does work so will be topping up before the return journey.

Return will be at a more leisurely pace rather than the 5 mph push against the flow.

Last went just prior to CV19 and would defiantly go up to Winsford and also agree with all the other points.

9 hours ago, jupiter1124 said:

Where is the tap at winsford flash? I filled up at the Northwich services. The lockie told me the winsford marina was too shallow for a narrowboat but I risked it and was ok, was deeper than castle field basin in Manchester anyway!

When you go into the flash, turn to your left and there are visitor moorings with a water tap. We were there yesterday then came back to moor outside the Red Lion