Bryn Howel winding hole.

johnmck

Featured Posts

We are on the Golly at the mo, bimbling.  

Having left the basin and moored for a few days near the lift bridge just out of town, our intention is to wind somewhere and return to the basin at Llangollen for the weekend. 

In all the times we have been up here, we have never seen or heard of anybody winding at Bryn Howel. Has anyone done this recently?

The alternative is to wind at Trevor, or cross the aqueduct, but fancy a shortcut to use less fuel...

We are 58'6" and unsure of just how well used/deep this hole is.

Bit late, but I think there's a restaurant boat that turns there regularly.

I ran a ceilidh at the hotel many years ago and went by boat. Took me a fortnight there and the same back and I tried to claim a month's licence fee as a travel expense against tax. They turned it down.

• Haha 1

If you're going away from Llangollen and turning to return to Llangollen, it should be easy. If you're doing it the other way (eg away from Trevor, turn to return to Trevor) its a complete nightmare because what happens is, with the narrow/shallow canal and the high flow, and that you put the nose into the non-towpath wide bit of the turning hole, the flow of the water will try to push the stern round towards Trevor. So if you're trying to do it and reversing (no steer in reverse) it will completely interfere with the turn. Your direction though, it would pretty much do it automatically though.

On 30/06/2022 at 22:52, johnmck said:

We are on the Golly at the mo, bimbling.  

Having left the basin and moored for a few days near the lift bridge just out of town, our intention is to wind somewhere and return to the basin at Llangollen for the weekend. 

In all the times we have been up here, we have never seen or heard of anybody winding at Bryn Howel. Has anyone done this recently?

The alternative is to wind at Trevor, or cross the aqueduct, but fancy a shortcut to use less fuel...

We are 58'6" and unsure of just how well used/deep this hole is.

I completely missed this question for some reason but as you have found out it's a doddle, the trip boats use it all the time, although less so now Jones the boat has stopped but even so at 58ft no issue

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

If you're going away from Llangollen and turning to return to Llangollen, it should be easy. If you're doing it the other way (eg away from Trevor, turn to return to Trevor) its a complete nightmare because what happens is, with the narrow/shallow canal and the high flow, and that you put the nose into the non-towpath wide bit of the turning hole, the flow of the water will try to push the stern round towards Trevor. So if you're trying to do it and reversing (no steer in reverse) it will completely interfere with the turn. Your direction though, it would pretty much do it automatically though.

That's an interesting point, I must admit I never noticed any issues but the flow must have had an effect and normally I would have been doing a turn back to Trevor