Who are the elite boat builders?

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

The design of the Springer narrow boats seems to be related to Humber keel barges. 

Careful if it's got one of those silly cutouts in the side for the SR3 ! 

I nearly bought a 36ft Springer with a Sabb water cooled diesel in it in 1994 but ended up with a 30ft Hancock and Lane instead. The rounded stern seemed more aesthetically pleasing. 

My springer has a rounded stern

5 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

My springer has a rounded stern

What year is it? I think they started doing the round sterns around 1988 but may be out by a few years. 

My H&L was 1976 at which time Springer were doing the diamond and flat sterns. 

ETA Hancock and Lane used to advertise their sterns with a picture including a well formed young lady at the tiller in the waterways world magazines years ago. 

Edited by magnetman

5 hours ago, IanD said:

Many of the "elite" boatbuilders use hulls built by the same hull builder, for example Tim Tyler supplies Braidbar, Norton Canes, Finesse and others. The look of the shell is largely down to what you ask (and pay!) for, anything from riveted replicas down to sleeker more modern styles are available. I've watched my hull being built by Tim and the skill and workmanship is something else...e

ch nightmare... 🙂

My Tylor Wilson hull is twenty years old, it suits me, nothing special as it was owner finished.

Lots of compliments on looks. Nothing to do with my own paint job!

I would not buy anything else for long term.

If I had another £40k to spend on this boat, , it would be £18k on a strip and paint.

Re vamp interior to modern galley.

Pocket  £10k

My ideal looks boat is Delhi. A tug style with lovely paint job

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, Trawler said:

Electric motors seem to make sense on narrowboats given the ability to use solar as the speed is low and the distances travelled are relatively short per day. 

Have you actually spent any time in a narrowboat ?

They are not a size that any sane person would build , but to keep costs down many of the locks on the canal system are only 7 foot (ish) wide so most NBs are now built at 6' 10" beam, take away the gunwale and the thickness of the steel, insulation and lining materials and you are lucky to have an internal width of 5'10". They are not lovingly called 'sewer tubes' for nothing !.

Mark out (say) a 40 foot x 6 foot x 6 foot high cube in your house and see if you could live in that. (Bathroom, bedroom(s), living room , kitchen , office etc etc)

Don't forget that even a 60 foot boat will have roughly a 10 foot bow section, and as much as a 10' stern / engine room etc so the living space is much reduced.

Many people do live happily on them, but many find it claustrophobic and go for a widebeam instead.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They are not a size that any sane person would build , but to keep costs down many of the locks on the canal system are only 7 foot (ish) wide so most NBs are now built at 6' 10" beam, take away the gunwale and the thickness of the steel, insulation and lining materials and you are lucky to have an internal width of 5'10". They are not lovingly called 'sewer tubes' for nothing !.

Mark out (say) a 40 foot x 6 foot x 6 foot high cube in your house and see if you could live in that. (Bathroom, bedroom(s), living room , kitchen , office etc etc)

Don't forget that even a 60 foot boat will have roughly a 10 foot bow section, and as much as a 10' stern / engine room etc so the living space is much reduced.

Many people do live happily on them, but many find it claustrophobic and go for a widebeam instead.

Fair point. I lived on narrow boats for 12 years full time. Too narrow. My two boats now are similar internal volume (30ft X 10ft6 and 40ftx9ft) but the actual layout is much more comfortable than a narrow boat (for me). 

However of course it means one can't do the coffin locks. 

If I was spending a lot of money and could find a suitable fabricator I would be tempted to design and execute the build of a narrow beam craft with "slideouts" like you see on RVs. 

Could be quite cool. Needs doing properly and only useable in sensible situations but one each side just might be quite interesting. 

Or pointless? 

Just now, magnetman said:

Fair point. I lived on narrow boats for 12 years full time. Too narrow. My two boats now are similar internal volume (30ft X 10ft6 and 40ftx9ft) but the actual layout is much more comfortable than a narrow boat (for me). 

However of course it means one can't do the coffin locks. 

If I was spending a lot of money and could find a suitable fabricator I would be tempted to design and execute the build of a narrow beam craft with "slideouts" like you see on RVs. 

Could be quite cool. Needs doing properly and only useable in sensible situations but one each side just might be quite interesting. 

Or pointless?

The "slideout" idea has been floated (ho, ho...) before.

The problem is that it has to be well above water level, unlike RVs where it can extend down to floor level -- and never mind the safety problems since RVs don't have to float.

How much use is a wider slideout section that only extends from well above knee height to the roof?

I think you could use it to put a dining table and windows. 

Done right it could be pretty close to the water although then not useable towpath side. 

One sees superyachts all the time with hull skin doors which close up and the boat is still suitable for transatlantic crossings. 

Not rocket science but yes there would be certain things one would not be able to do with the extra space. 

Probably slightly pointless. 

15 minutes ago, magnetman said:

What year is it? I think they started doing the round sterns around 1988 but may be out by a few years. 

My H&L was 1976 at which time Springer were doing the diamond and flat sterns. 

ETA Hancock and Lane used to advertise their sterns with a picture including a well formed young lady at the tiller in the waterways world magazines years ago. 

My Springer 1989

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think you could use it to put a dining table and windows. 

Done right it could be pretty close to the water although then not useable towpath side. 

One sees superyachts all the time with hull skin doors which close up and the boat is still suitable for transatlantic crossings. 

Not rocket science but yes there would be certain things one would not be able to do with the extra space. 

Probably slightly pointless. 

But don't forget that with an RV people don't have to walk up and down the vehicle while it's moving, so it's OK if the retractable section blocks access when closed up. This isn't true of narrowboats, though it could work for wideboats just like it does for superyachts...

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I agree it’s insane. As my parents have told me on each of my adventures. I tend to plunge in.  And no, I haven’t.  However, life is about new experiences and challenging one’s comfort zones   

The smallest boat I have “lived on” was a 32’ sailboat with my father doing blue water sailing, albeit in my 20’s.   Thousands and thousands of hours going backwards in a 28’ long 11” wide oar propelled craft but that doesn’t count!  But it sure wasn’t beamy! ;)

my usage is not to be a continuous cruiser or live aboard but rather to be on board for weeks at a time, living in the moment and absorbing the life of the countryside.  I do need to determine how I can leave the boat for long time periods at different destinations though.  I also would like to share it with family and friends, even in my absence. 

I believe I have taken up too much of everyone’s time as I try to learn more, so I appreciate it. The rational approach is to charter but I find that less satisfying. Ideally I’d buy a very nice used NB to help me sort out my preferences.  I find though if I get involved in a build process I use it much more as I have pride of ownership and personal investment. The financial downside is limited as well. 

Edited by Trawler

9 minutes ago, Trawler said:

I agree it’s insane. As my parents have told me on each of my adventures. I tend to plunge in.  And no, I haven’t.  However, life is about new experiences and challenging one’s comfort zones   

The smallest boat I have “lived on” was a 32’ sailboat with my father doing blue water sailing, albeit in my 20’s.   Thousands and thousands of hours going backwards in a 28’ long 11” wide oar propelled craft but that doesn’t count!  But it sure wasn’t beamy! ;)

my usage is not to be a continuous cruiser or live aboard but rather to be on board for weeks at a time, living in the moment and absorbing the life of the countryside.  I do need to determine how I can leave the boat for long time periods at different destinations though.  I also would like to share it with family and friends, even in my absence. 

I believe I have taken up too much of everyone’s time as I try to learn more, so I appreciate it. The rational approach is to charter but I find that less satisfying. Ideally I’d buy a very nice used NB to help me sort out my preferences. 

A couple of people can live very comfortably on a well-equipped 60' narrowboat if the layout is thought through properly; if you want more than a couple of occasional guests (i.e. a second dedicated bedroom) you either have to give up some of the comfort (e.g. combined saloon/dinette) or add 10' or so to the length. Or by giving up even more comfort and squishing down to hire boat sizes you can get even more people in, but I personally wouldn't do this for extended stays.

If you haven't had much narrowboat experience I'd recommend hiring out a few different boats for short periods to get a feel for what does and doesn't work for you before buying one -- sometimes things which look like a good idea on paper turn out to not work so well in practice, given the restricted access inevitable in such a long thin space...

Edited by IanD

1 hour ago, Trawler said:

I believe I have taken up too much of everyone’s time as I try to learn more, so I appreciate it. The rational approach is to charter but I find that less satisfying. Ideally I’d buy a very nice used NB to help me sort out my preferences.  I find though if I get involved in a build process I use it much more as I have pride of ownership and personal investment. The financial downside is limited as well. 

Another question that has recently arisen is the question of insurance;

Are you a UK citizen, is your primary residence in the UK ?

There has been a detailed thread on a 'commonweath' person who has his boat here, but this year has been refused insurance.

I'll see if I can find it.

Edit - here it is :

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Phew!  Thought maybe our dream was dead in the water.

First post...

My wife and I are a couple of almost 60-year olds from California (no we are not vegan or mystic spritualists (not that there's anything wrong with them))

We spent the first few months of lockdown watching Kevin Shelly on Aslan, and became intrigued.

We love the idea of traveling across GB seeing the landscape and sights at 4mph.

As it appears that building our dream house here in California is not going to get off the ground due to lack of contractors (story for another time), we are working on plan B.  6 months in GB, 3 months on the continent, and 3 months at home.  At least for a few years.

I can't imagine how many hours of YouTube videos we've watch on the subject, and I've been trawling this site for a few days reading old posts.

I had just about worked up the courage to ask about boat builders, when Trawler beat me to it.

Our (obviously) tentative plan is to set foot in some narrowboats when we are in the Cotswolds in the fall.

If a picture (or video) is worth a thousand words, an in-person visit must be worth a thousand books.

I found a builder abot 30 min from where we are staying that says they should have a build finishing up.

If that doesn't work out (or even if it does) I would really love to push a little further and visit Whilton Marina to see many more.

If that test is passed, then we will return in May (hopefully) to hire for a week, and visit some (not quite elite) builders/fitters.

If that test is passed (and we are still married) we plan to reserve a build slot before, during, or after visiting the Crick show.

My original question was going to be what to look for in a boat builder, but seeing some of the replys here, I have different questions first.

Do most buyers of new boats buy the shell separate from the fit out, or is it typical to let the fit out company buy the shell?

Perhaps this needs its own topic, but what makes a good hull?  I'm sure there are visual preferences, but I am more worried about canal/river worthiness.

Reading some of the posts here, its seems really easy to get a beautiful boat that is a pain to maneuver or unecessarily expensive to operate.

1 hour ago, Jimbo435 said:

Phew!  Thought maybe our dream was dead in the water.

First post...

My wife and I are a couple of almost 60-year olds from California (no we are not vegan or mystic spritualists (not that there's anything wrong with them))

We spent the first few months of lockdown watching Kevin Shelly on Aslan, and became intrigued.

We love the idea of traveling across GB seeing the landscape and sights at 4mph.

As it appears that building our dream house here in California is not going to get off the ground due to lack of contractors (story for another time), we are working on plan B.  6 months in GB, 3 months on the continent, and 3 months at home.  At least for a few years.

I can't imagine how many hours of YouTube videos we've watch on the subject, and I've been trawling this site for a few days reading old posts.

I had just about worked up the courage to ask about boat builders, when Trawler beat me to it.

Our (obviously) tentative plan is to set foot in some narrowboats when we are in the Cotswolds in the fall.

If a picture (or video) is worth a thousand words, an in-person visit must be worth a thousand books.

I found a builder abot 30 min from where we are staying that says they should have a build finishing up.

If that doesn't work out (or even if it does) I would really love to push a little further and visit Whilton Marina to see many more.

If that test is passed, then we will return in May (hopefully) to hire for a week, and visit some (not quite elite) builders/fitters.

If that test is passed (and we are still married) we plan to reserve a build slot before, during, or after visiting the Crick show.

My original question was going to be what to look for in a boat builder, but seeing some of the replys here, I have different questions first.

Do most buyers of new boats buy the shell separate from the fit out, or is it typical to let the fit out company buy the shell?

Perhaps this needs its own topic, but what makes a good hull?  I'm sure there are visual preferences, but I am more worried about canal/river worthiness.

Reading some of the posts here, its seems really easy to get a beautiful boat that is a pain to maneuver or unecessarily expensive to operate.

We opted for a “one stop shop” - hull builder and fitter-outer as one business - because we live in Scotland 450 miles away and we’re therefore unable to “supervise” much. But of course you live a lot further away! That said, lots of people go for separate hull builders and outfitters.

What to look for in a boat builder? Well for me it would be proven history of not going broke, and for the hull an ability to do pleasing steelwork (ie curves, not just slabs of steel welded together), welded together neatly. But of course the aesthetics are a personal thing.

For the fit out, again a proven history in the business. Not, for example, history in the business of say fitting out caravans, kitchens or shops!

Everyone says buy second hand for your first boat, and this is good advice. It’s not like buying a car (automobile)!

If you really want to buy new, builders such as Colecraft who have been doing it for decades and know exactly what works, have got to be your best bet. It won’t be a stand-out boat but it will be a fully functional tried and tested boat.

Edited by nicknorman

For 6 months a year in the UK, buy secondhand. Half the cost, no waiting for the builder and you can set off the day you arrive. You won't know enough to specify a newbuild initially so live with someone else's choices while you work out what does and doesn't work for you. And if you want to carry on after a couple of years you can then specify your newbuild with confidence.

• Greenie 1

"aesthetics are a personal thing"

True. 

Some people like fake rivets and some people don't. 

I didn't realise that Norton Canes were using the same site where Steve Hudson used to be. 

Last time I was up that way was when it was an empty basin before Hudson got the lease. Nice little yard that is. 

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

For 6 months a year in the UK, buy secondhand. Half the cost, no waiting for the builder and you can set off the day you arrive. You won't know enough to specify a newbuild initially so live with someone else's choices while you work out what does and doesn't work for you. And if you want to carry on after a couple of years you can then specify your newbuild with confidence.

Thank you for your advice.  That seems to be the common response here to anyone that has not spent a lot of time on the cut.

And it makes sense.  My biggest concern really is that it might just be "someone else's choices" that put my off the whole idea.

I spent many years analysing our lifestyle and living patterns to design our dream home so I am somewhat familiar with what we may need, even in what amounts to a "tiny house".  I feel somewhat confident I understand the living space requirements/tradeoffs.

It's how the floating "tiny house" aspect would change those that I obviously don't know.

I guess if I am honest, I was counting on you lovely folk on forums like this to not necessarily tell me what I need, but help me with the tradeoffs of my decisions.

Tiny example: If we wanted, as I have seen on some narrowboats, a lengthwise King bed tucked in the bow with an escape hatch window above, and I am thinking I would only move the boat on average one day in eight, am I going to be cussing at that decision when I need to send the missus to the bow in the pouring rain along the gunwales or having to stop the boat to allow her to do that off the towpath?  No way I could know that now.  But I would hope some inquiries on forums and at the boat builders would give me an idea what I am trading off for that "almost like home" bed.

So we have thought about buying used, and that may still be what happens, but we are about 90% set on an electric drive and an adjustable UK King (US Queen, 5'x7') lengthwise bed.  I also need about 6'6" height as I am 6'3" tall.

I have not seen too many electric, king size bed, 6'6" boats for sale.  But in no way was my search exhaustive.

We may decide if the delivery date is out a couple years to buy a used boat for the meantime, with as close to our spec as we can find, in time to make some tweaks.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo435 said:

Thank you for your advice.  That seems to be the common response here to anyone that has not spent a lot of time on the cut.

And it makes sense.  My biggest concern really is that it might just be "someone else's choices" that put my off the whole idea.

I spent many years analysing our lifestyle and living patterns to design our dream home so I am somewhat familiar with what we may need, even in what amounts to a "tiny house".  I feel somewhat confident I understand the living space requirements/tradeoffs.

It's how the floating "tiny house" aspect would change those that I obviously don't know.

I guess if I am honest, I was counting on you lovely folk on forums like this to not necessarily tell me what I need, but help me with the tradeoffs of my decisions.

Tiny example: If we wanted, as I have seen on some narrowboats, a lengthwise King bed tucked in the bow with an escape hatch window above, and I am thinking I would only move the boat on average one day in eight, am I going to be cussing at that decision when I need to send the missus to the bow in the pouring rain along the gunwales or having to stop the boat to allow her to do that off the towpath?  No way I could know that now.  But I would hope some inquiries on forums and at the boat builders would give me an idea what I am trading off for that "almost like home" bed.

So we have thought about buying used, and that may still be what happens, but we are about 90% set on an electric drive and an adjustable UK King (US Queen, 5'x7') lengthwise bed.  I also need about 6'6" height as I am 6'3" tall.

I have not seen too many electric, king size bed, 6'6" boats for sale.  But in no way was my search exhaustive.

We may decide if the delivery date is out a couple years to buy a used boat for the meantime, with as close to our spec as we can find, in time to make some tweaks.

I think your questions are a good example of theory vs reality. Personally I would hate to have the bedroom at the front, it means that from the living area you can’t see ahead. I don’t like not being able to see where we are going /what we are approaching, from inside the boat. And not having a fore deck with easy interior access seems a total non-starter to me, even though such boats do of course exist. Of course it’s true that “reverse layouts” (kitchen /living area at the back) were trendy for a while but I think that trend died once people realised it wasn’t such a great idea. And yes you do see some boats with no front door, but the vast majority of boats do have a front door accessing a front deck, and perhaps you should consider why that is?

If you are 6’3, why do you need 6’6” headroom? What is the other 3” for? Bear in mind that the distance between the bottom of the canal and the bottom of some bridges and tunnels is severely limited. If you have a boat with 6’6” interior headroom you will either be dragging the bottom of a shallow canal or find yourself unable to negotiate some of the lower headroom tunnels and bridges. Although it is of course in part about the shape - 6’6” headroom in the middle of the boat is probably OK (roof is curved) whereas 6’6” at the side of a boat with minimal tumblehome isn’t. The devil is in the detail, and you can’t really get the detail right until you are familiar with the environment and the issues.

Oh and you mentioned Whilton Marina. Whilst it can be good for looking at a lot of low budget boats in a short space of time, if anything is going to put you off buying second hand it is a trip to Whilton Marina! Our experience of Whilton is that most boats smelt of death, old boats owned by old people who had died. Often presented un-cleaned even with old food still in the cupboards, mess everywhere. And in some cases, they had even forgotten to remove the now-dead owners’ bodies.

OK I made that last bit up, but it did seem like it at the time! If you want to see a better class of boat, try Rugby Boat Sales or ABNB

23 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think your questions are a good example of theory vs reality. Personally I would hate to have the bedroom at the front, it means that from the living area you can’t see ahead. I don’t like not being able to see where we are going /what we are approaching, from inside the boat. And not having a fore deck with easy interior access seems a total non-starter to me, even though such boats do of course exist. Of course it’s true that “reverse layouts” (kitchen /living area at the back) were trendy for a while but I think that trend died once people realised it wasn’t such a great idea. And yes you do see some boats with no front door, but the vast majority of boats do have a front door accessing a front deck, and perhaps you should consider why that is?

If you are 6’3, why do you need 6’6” headroom? What is the other 3” for? Bear in mind that the distance between the bottom of the canal and the bottom of some bridges and tunnels is severely limited. If you have a boat with 6’6” interior headroom you will either be dragging the bottom of a shallow canal or find yourself unable to negotiate some of the lower headroom tunnels and bridges. Although it is of course in part about the shape - 6’6” headroom in the middle of the boat is probably OK (roof is curved) whereas 6’6” at the side of a boat with minimal tumblehome isn’t. The devil is in the detail, and you can’t really get the detail right until you are familiar with the environment and the issues.

Oh and you mentioned Whilton Marina. Whilst it can be good for looking at a lot of low budget boats in a short space of time, if anything is going to put you off buying second hand it is a trip to Whilton Marina! Our experience of Whilton is that most boats smelt of death, old boats owned by old people who had died. Often presented un-cleaned even with old food still in the cupboards, mess everywhere. And in some cases, they had even forgotten to remove the now-dead owners’ bodies.

OK I made that last bit up, but it did seem like it at the time! If you want to see a better class of boat, try Rugby Boat Sales or ABNB

Thanks.  I may be mistaken, but wasnt every new boat at the 2022 Crick show a reverse layout?

I'm thinking 6'6" in the middle.  Reason is when you walk, don't you lift yourself up an inch or two?

Perhaps 6'4" will work.  Another reason to visit some boats.

Thanks for info on Whilton.  I will avoid.  Nothing will put the missus off more than a smell.

12 minutes ago, Jimbo435 said:

Thanks for info on Whilton.  I will avoid.  Nothing will put the missus off more than a smell.

Whilton do have nice boats too. And for someone who just wants to get the feel/look around different boats they are ideal as are very relaxed about viewing.

Probability says you will find something nicer at ABNB /Aquavista/Braunston/Rugby though which are all in the general area 😀

Edited by PaulJ

8 hours ago, Jimbo435 said:

Thanks.  I may be mistaken, but wasnt every new boat at the 2022 Crick show a reverse layout?

I'm thinking 6'6" in the middle.  Reason is when you walk, don't you lift yourself up an inch or two?

We hired Poppy from Wyvern last year, who had a max headroom of 6’6 - my husband is 6’2.  Being a fairly standard hire layout all the passages were down the side of the boat where the height is at its lowest.  We didn’t take her anywhere particularly shallow or through any low tunnels so can’t say whether that would have been an issue, and being a hire boat there was nothing like a chimney or pram cover etc to increase the roof profile - probably the life ring was the highest point!  

10 hours ago, Jimbo435 said:

A lot of new boats are semi-trads with the main access at the back of the boat and the front having a cratch cover that often stays closed.  In my view, it makes sense to avoid having the main access into the bedroom.  Hence the reverse layout becoming more popular.  For a trad style boat like Nick's, the easier access route will be through the front of the boat so having the bedroom at the back is better.