Who are the elite boat builders?

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Braidbar turn out some nice boats (in my opinion) -I followed a Hybrid of theirs up the Watford flight not long ago. The boat also had a full remote system and the owner was up top controlling the boat using a small handset.

I was under the impression there was a problem with this remote control concept in that the insurance won't cover you unless you are actually operating the boat whilst on it. Presumably things have changed now?

43 minutes ago, Chris John said:

Elite to a person can be dependent on budget. Like cars. Who are the elite car builders? Range Rover, Aston Martin, Bentley? Probably all elite builders but then look at cost of them 

Also, 'elite' means different things to different people. Braidbar for example build modern style boats for people to whom stuff like granite worktops and fine quality interior machine-made joinery and posh bathrooms is important. Any subtlety in the lines of the steelwork usually lost on the buyers to whom this stuff is paramount. Other buyers are more concerned with the steelwork and the look of the shell. For these people, Steve Hudson, Ian Kemp, Graham Edgson etc all built for people with a picky eye for the look of their boat. Sadly all deceased now. Go-to shell builders now might be Warwickshire Fly Boats, Brinklow. Dave Harris but they won't be interested in you as a buyer if to you an 'elite' boat means air conditioning and a dishwasher, or electric propulsion. For money-no-object bleeding edge technology electric boats, go to Finesse. 

Stand by for a stream of posts quibbling about the above! 

15 hours ago, Richard T said:

If you want a good hull go no further than Brinklow Boat Services. They also do excellent fit outs and vintage engine installations. Ivybridge are also good but I don't know if Roger is up to building from scratch again. Ian Kemp is another name that springs to mind.

I thought that Brinklow were no longer building hulls?

6 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

I suspect they might for the right client, i.e. someone they think appreciates what they do, rather than a Mr Moneybags.

I notice the OP keeps mentioning Norton Canes. I rather doubt they still build since Graham died or does Sarah now take on build commissions? 

Edited by MtB
Spelling

14 minutes ago, MtB said:

Other buyers are more concerned with the steelwork and the look of the shell. For these people, Steve Hudson, Ian Kemp, Graham Edgson etc all built for people with a picky eye for the look of their boat. Sadly all deceased now.

My Dad is still alive and kicking! As was Ian Kemp when I spoke to him last Christmas!

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

Also, 'elite' means different things to different people. Braidbar for example build modern style boats for people to whom stuff like granite worktops and fine quality interior machine-made joinery and posh bathrooms is important. Any subtlety in the lines of the steelwork usually lost on the buyers to whom this stuff is paramount. Other buyers are more concerned with the steelwork and the look of the shell. For these people, Steve Hudson, Ian Kemp, Graham Edgson etc all built for people with a picky eye for the look of their boat. Sadly all deceased now. Go-to shell builders now might be Warwickshire Fly Boats, Brinklow. Dave Harris but they won't be interested in you as a buyer if to you an 'elite' boat means air conditioning and a dishwasher, or electric propulsion. For money-no-object bleeding edge technology electric boats, go to Finesse. 

Do not think Ian kemp and Graham Edgeson have died. Also Dave Harris has retired although might be working at Hatherton with the builder there

1 minute ago, sarahavfc said:

My Dad is still alive and kicking! As was Ian Kemp when I spoke to him last Christmas!

Really?! My apologies I stand corrected!!! I was convinced both has passed over! 

4 minutes ago, sarahavfc said:

Really... otherwise I wasted £3 on a fathers day card last week! 😆

That's good to hear.

So, are Norton Canes still building boats?

No one has yet mentioned Mel Davis, who builds fine shells and is a straightforward and easy man tom deal with. So I will.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

That's good to hear.

So, are Norton Canes still building boats?

Yes, as well as doing repairs and maintenance work we have a hull in production and two bespoke fit-outs on Wilson hulls.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

I was under the impression there was a problem with this remote control concept in that the insurance won't cover you unless you are actually operating the boat whilst on it. Presumably things have changed now?

I have no idea-all I can say is the owner came across as being someone who was very careful so I would have been suprised if there was much of problem.

15 hours ago, Richard T said:

If you want a good hull go no further than Brinklow Boat Services. They also do excellent fit outs and vintage engine installations. Ivybridge are also good but I don't know if Roger is up to building from scratch again. Ian Kemp is another name that springs to mind.

34 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The situation at Brinklow has always been slightly confusing.  No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong on the detail, but Brinklow Boat Services was the joint efforts of Steve Priest (steelwork), Simon Wain (steelwork) and Rex Wain (woodwork).  They in turn used other craftsmen for much of the work.

For some time the primary steelworker has been Dave Ross, who now trades in his own right there as DCR Boatbuilding.  He continues the fine tradition of Steve and Simon, and his shells are usually top end replicas, (or "remakes"), often based on original "Grand Union" working boats.

You'll not buy a better boat, if that is what you are after.  Dave's a thoroughly nice chap, too.

Another yard which knows how to turn out a nice steel boat is C.Toms and son in Cornwall. Not sure if they would do a narrow but it's possible. 

Mainly fishing boats but they did do a nice inspection launch for the Thames and a copy of a Thames sailing barge. 

nice items

https://www.ctomsandson.co.uk/boatyard/new-build-boats/

they will need a naval architect to be involved and may well not go for narrow boats but a properly done replica (no washers!)  might be an interesting job. 

This one is not a million miles away from a narrow boat. Ok so it is wide and inspection launch style but still interesting. 

IMG_0832-367x367.jpg

Goes along lovely with a little 3 cylinder Yanmar apparently installed although I have not seen the engine. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Many of the "elite" boatbuilders use hulls built by the same hull builder, for example Tim Tyler supplies Braidbar, Norton Canes, Finesse and others. The look of the shell is largely down to what you ask (and pay!) for, anything from riveted replicas down to sleeker more modern styles are available. I've watched my hull being built by Tim and the skill and workmanship is something else...

I'd agree with the last line, it's what I'm doing -- you *do* need deep pockets but I expect the final result will be excellent quality and *exactly* what I want, even if it might be other people's worst high-tech nightmare... 🙂

Edited by IanD

18 hours ago, PeterF said:

Aqua Narrowboats, they buy in the shell, will use whoever you want otherwise Colecraft, a good solid shell builder, and then Aqua fit out all the internals, engine, electrics, carpentry, fittings etc. The quality of their joinery is very high, all nicely rounded off corners etc.

Colecraft do build a solid shell (as do many budget boatbuilders), but Colecraft are mid range at best and certainly can't be considered high-end or elite builders by any stretch of the imagination. 

Our Colecraft shelled boat was generally well constructed but as shells go I wouldn't have described it as 'elite'.

The fit out by Bath Narrow boats was top notch but the shell was nothing particularly special.

It also had an issue with the stern deck drains which tended to empty into the engine bay rather than drain over the side. 

1 minute ago, Laurie Booth said:

Best boats ever built 

You're ahead of your time Lorry!

Give it another 50 years and I predict Springers will be as sought-after as Joshers and Northwich NBs.

The design of the Springer narrow boats seems to be related to Humber keel barges. 

Careful if it's got one of those silly cutouts in the side for the SR3 ! 

I nearly bought a 36ft Springer with a Sabb water cooled diesel in it in 1994 but ended up with a 30ft Hancock and Lane instead. The rounded stern seemed more aesthetically pleasing. 

Edited by magnetman

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

The answer to the OP may be these people

https://www.napton-marina.co.uk/boats/elite/index.php

Though they have another tier of boats above this... 😉

https://www.napton-marina.co.uk/boats/regency/index.php

(we hired one this summer, very nice in some ways but some features not very well thought out and a few slightly scruffy bits...)

Thanks everyone. 

I’m not a contemporary modern design person and I hate “bling.”. I prefer classic looks though I am keenly aware of modern technology. For example,  I restored a 1950’s  DeHavilland dhc-2 “Beaver” seaplane and while it looks classic there were nods to modern structural and safety improvements not to mention situational awareness avionics like TCAS.  I owe that to my family. The rumble of the 9 cylinder radial supercharged 450hp R985 is music to my ears…though I wear noise cancelling headsets as fatigue is real after hours of flying north. 

I also find the process fun as long as I know I’m in great hands and can trust the process leads to a great outcome.

I also like the sound of Diesel engines so electric itself isn’t a driver when underway. However  when in a very silent cove, as I often am, quiet is an important part of the experience.  Electric motors seem to make sense on narrowboats given the ability to use solar as the speed is low and the distances travelled are relatively short per day.