New to Boat life - already unhappy with the CRT

DShK

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

So if I understand you correctly, you think that having to display your licence is immoral? Could you explain why? And no, CRT do not say that. Have you read this thread?

You really should have read to the end of my post instead of not bothering to engage the little grey cells.

My licences are in the windows, because why not? CRT ask me to, there's no sensible reason for me not to (whether they insist on it or not), so I do.

But I certainly don't slavishly obey every law of the land, because not all laws are equal and some are ethically unacceptable, both in this country and others. One does have a responsibility to use the stuff between one's ears. There have been some seriously bad laws in the past, as well as currently. If everyone had, as you seem to be suggesting, just laid down, tugged their forelock and said "ah well, that's the law, aint it?" they'd still be there and small children would still be working in the factories and being poked up chimneys. I could give other examples closer to home.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

[...] If everyone had, as you seem to be suggesting, just laid down, tugged their forelock and said "ah well, that's the law, aint it?" they'd still be there and small children would still be working in the factories and being poked up chimneys. I could give other examples closer to home.

The Asch Conformity Experiments show the importance of questioning what others seem to be agreeing is an acceptable practice. Without the 10% of those who refuse to conform, society would be ruled by those with the loudest voices and deepest pockets. Oh, wait a minute... 🤔

Edited by Puffling

42 minutes ago, Puffling said:

The Asch Conformity Experiments show the importance of questioning what others seem to be agreeing is an acceptable practice. Without the 10% of those who refuse to conform, society would be ruled by those with the loudest voices and deepest pockets. Oh, wait a minute... 🤔

We must have the best of all worlds then, as we are ruled by the 1% with the loudest voices, deepest pockets and who also refuse to conform!

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

Thanks Ray, but unfortunately they only sell trade quantities of 50-100 pieces and I don't think even CRT requires me to display that many copies of my licence!

I need to find out which of their distributors might stock them.

Alec

20 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Thanks Ray, but unfortunately they only sell trade quantities of 50-100 pieces and I don't think even CRT requires me to display that many copies of my licence!

I need to find out which of their distributors might stock them.

Alec

Motorbike licence holder does the job :

Tax Disc Licence Holder for Classic/ Modern Motorcycles Waterproof S/Steel | 274 | eBay

Motorcycle/scooter metal tax disc holder - round stainless steel | eBay

SINGLE METAL LICENCE TAX DISC HOLDER ,SUIT BIKE, KITCAR, TRUCK TTC364 | eBay

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thanks, good thought, although I must admit, seeing those my first thought was to mount them either side of the stern so they stick up and out like a pair of wing mirrors!

Alec

18 hours ago, agg221 said:

I saw that, which is why I thought it interesting that the notice makes reference to the legal requirement to display the name and index, but not the legal requirement to display the licence. It leaves it ambiguous and gives a sense of nudging towards the licence question rather than stating it definitively (which they could do).

Alec

I think you can infer that CaRT mind about number and name because they fib it difficult to take enforcement action without them. They don't mention  license display because it us not really useful to them. They are not required to enforce if, although they may.

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The old circular licence used to fit in the circular holder but changed back to square some years ago ;)

Original licence was square changed to circular then back to square.

Edited by Loddon

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

The old circular licence used to fit in the circular holder but changed back to square some years ago ;)

Original licence was square changed to circular then back to square.

You are of course correct, but being as you now print them out youeself, you can make them any size you like and any shape you wish

For the square ones C&RT sent (on request) a couple of 'sticky' square 'pockets' that stuck to your windows - as they had an insurance companies name on them I assume they were 'sponsored'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For the square ones C&RT sent (on request) a couple of 'sticky' square 'pockets' that stuck to your windows

But the OP's request was for an alternative to sticking them in the window. If you only have portholes they take up a lot of real estate.

27 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I think you can infer that CaRT mind about number and name because they fib it difficult to take enforcement action without them. They don't mention  license display because it us not really useful to them. They are not required to enforce if, although they may.

That was my inference too.

For reference, I have a paper copy of the licence on board but not on display. This is because (as per further up the thread) with only 7off 7" portholes to provide light in the boat I am not inclined to obscure two of them with a licence unless I have to. When we first looked at this we found CRT guidance that stated they did not require us to display the licence and for the above reason we chose not to.

If at some point we get informed that we need to (by CRT) then I will fit a couple of exterior display mounts. This will be a pain as it means drilling more holes in the boat and creating a water trap. I couldn't seal them down properly as it will have to be opened each year to change the licence over. It would also mean getting the licence printed and laminated each year, which whilst not a major hassle is equally not something I would choose to do for fun. There is also the practical point that our licence falls due in November and, not living aboard and keeping the boat about 3hrs drive from our house, a 6hr round trip just to change the licence over is not sensible and we don't tend to use it so often over winter so it might end up waiting a couple of months if we don't happen to go out on it over the autumn half-term.

Alec

Edited by agg221

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But the OP's request was for an alternative to sticking them in the window. If you only have portholes they take up a lot of real estate.

That is why I gave him the deatils of the motorcycle 'tax disc' holder. You can print out the licence and cut it into a 'round'.

"Apologises for the delay in responding to your query about the 3 month licence issue. 

There appears to have ben some confusion between the last licensee end date and the start date for your self.

In lieu of this, an extra month has been added toy our current 3 month licence. "

Result!

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

48 minutes ago, DShK said:

"Apologises for the delay in responding to your query about the 3 month licence issue. 

There appears to have ben some confusion between the last licensee end date and the start date for your self.

In lieu of this, an extra month has been added toy our current 3 month licence. "

Result!

New to Boat life - and CRT are not that bad after all. 

• Greenie 4

Haha for sure! Funny though because when I phoned I basically got told "that's just the way it is", which is part of the reason I was annoyed. So I'm happy with them that they took the time to look at it properly. A lesson learnt that sometimes it's worth trying multiple angles and pressing a bit.

I'll be honest I just wanted to fit in and moan about them like everyone else 😉

Edited by DShK
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DShK said:

Haha for sure! Funny though because when I phoned I basically got told "that's just the way it is", which is part of the reason I was annoyed. So I'm happy with them that they took the time to look at it properly. A lesson learnt that sometimes it's worth trying multiple angles and pressing a bit.

Fair play to you, always worth asking.   Glad you got sorted 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, DShK said:

Well, you've messed up that then. You're not supposed to come back and say CRT did the right thing after all; the general idea is to start something off and then never appear on the thread again, so we can all then moan about you.

Anyway, very pleased it worked out for you.

• Happy 2
  • Haha 2

CRT gave me an extra month on my licence too at the end of 2021, as compensation for my stretch of canal being closed for a month, un-asked. 

This meant my BSS expired just before I needed to renew, instead of just after, the bar stewards! 

• Greenie 1