Which anchor out of these two

Marc Pyn

Featured Posts

Hi folks.

We are moving onto a new boat and have the choice of two anchors. I know there's a lot of descrepency between anchor preference but we are wondering if there is any benefit to the one in the first pic with the cross bar along the bottom in terms of its effectiveness and hold as the other one fits better in the space we have. We'll keep the heaviest longest chain to attach to, and they both seem to weigh the same so appreciate any experienced insight. Also the one in 2nd pic says its a britany. 

Many thanks20220629_154823.jpg.ccde3d828cf3647dff5ef99589eb339f.jpg20220629_154956.jpg.b96987b63a30f3f08be2e40a80bd78af.jpg

The second is the better of the two, but is still almost pointless carrying it - if you ever need to use it in an emergency it will "not do a lot"

A NB anchor needs to work and work under a huge shock-loading as it pulls 20 tons of boat to a stop.

I'll dig out the test results for Britanny - I'm sure I've got them somewhere.

It was the 7th worse performer out of 10 different anchor types tested - average holding powerless than 25% of the better anchors. It only got to 7th because it was a) easy to stow, b) cheap

Britany is the 1st column

Screenshot (356).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield