Paguro generator

commervan

Featured Posts

Hi please can anyone help. We have a paguro 4000 cocoond   built in generator in our narrowboat  which has developed another water leak this I have traced to the exhaust manifold area which has a water jacket  rapped around the manifold down pipe.

This again has cracked on one of the joints and leaking antifreeze. 

I keep getting it soldered up but the  vibrations  set it off again. I was wondering what purpose it serves and could I bypass it. Water comes in at the top and excites and the bottom so maybe I could just use a pipe to join them together. 

The water comes from a skin tank which it shares with the main boat engine so is cooled that way. 

It was mentioned  it could be an out let to heat water for the boat. 

Please has anyone got any ideas. 

Michael. 

Nothing immediately disastrous is likely to happen if you bypass the exhaust manifold cooling.  

The manifold itself will get a lot hotter than usual, and the solder from the repairs you mention may melt and run out.  You may need to insulate the manifold to make it safe and comply with the BSS.  Consult the BSS guide carefully.

The exhaust gasses will be a bit hotter, so have more energy and the exhaust may be different-sounding or louder as a result.

You should not block either the water inlet or the outlet  to ensure there is no chance of any trapped water in the manifold flashing into steam and causing problems.

If you can take some pictures of the problem area we may be able to suggest some repair techniques which will last better.  Though, if soft solder has been used it will be difficult to successfully apply alternative techniques like brazing or welding. What are the manifold and cooling jacket made of?

You could no doubt use the jacket to heat water for the boat, but you will need to fix the leak first. ☹ You will then need a quite complicated set up to circulate antifreeze through the jacket and then into a calorifier or heat exchanger to get hot water.  You will need a header tank for this circuit, and a pump.The heat output is likely to be very small so any usable quantity of hot water will take ages, and not be very warm.

It would be easier to circulate the generator coolant via calorifier en route to the skin tank.  Thenyou should get a reasonable quantity of hot water, but you might need an extra pump.

N

1 hour ago, commervan said:

Hi please can anyone help. We have a paguro 4000 cocoond   built in generator in our narrowboat  which has developed another water leak this I have traced to the exhaust manifold area which has a water jacket  rapped around the manifold down pipe.

I keep getting it soldered up but the  vibrations  set it off again. I was wondering what purpose it serves and could I bypass it. Water comes in at the top and excites and the bottom so maybe I could just use a pipe to join them together. 

The water comes from a skin tank which it shares with the main boat engine so is cooled that way. 

Michael. 

I have the same generator but mine is raw water cooled. I'm struggling to see how they differ, must check out the manual. Advance Yacht Systems phone no 01794 523900 seem to be the importers. They are very helpful. The  person to ask for is Rod (assuming he's still there)

I've got the manual that covers it. Faymann engine, VTE alternator. the raw water cooled version.

Edited by Slim

Many thanks for all your replays.  I am trying to upload pictures but without success (Looks like I will have to wait for the grandson again 😁).

Yes it's in a copper pipe shield this doesn't look factory to me as it's just standard copper pipe so may have been previously repaired by first owner me been the third.

Unfortunately their is little room to strengthen the area that leeks as it's very tight against the casing. 

I will give advanced yacht systems a ring.

Cheers for your answers much appreciated. 

Have you considered ordering a new manifold instead of soldering up the cracks?

It must be water cooled for a reason? I looked at Paguro generators at a place in Southamptonb about 15 years ago. I think they have water cooled alternators too which surprised me at the time but perhaps that's a standard feature. 

Yes but they have changed engines since ours was made. And the place in Southampton advanced yacht systems only have new ones for the modern engine at around £400.

Sometimes they get second hand parts in for the older engine. 

So I could give them a ring you never know.

Thanks

On 29/06/2022 at 23:35, commervan said:

Michael. 

The reason for the water jacket is probably to stop the engine overheating. As you say it is a cocooned set so you need to get that heat away. Without the water jacket that exhaust will give off a lot of heat. If you decide to bypass this water jacket then at a minimum you could lag the exhaust with a good few layers of lagging to try and keep the heat level down.