Living onboard

Theo60

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Theo60 said:

Hi guys 

I’m very curious how easy is it to live on board and what kind of costs are hidden that anybody should be aware of ? 

That rather depends upon what costs you know about, but plan to spend at least as much as you do living in a house. Do it because you love the life rather than simply for accommodation.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Theo60 said:

Hi guys 

I’m very curious how easy is it to live on board and what kind of costs are hidden that anybody should be aware of ? 

If you live in a marina with shorepower it's not too difficult, but it's not cheap, can be anything from £2000 to £10k, the former being up  North and the latter down South. Marinas come in different grades, from swish with restaurants etc to basic with car parking, bins, water elsan.  Electricity pretty  much at cost, not all moorings have power.

it's not necessarily a cheap option, you have no security of tenure, and boats do not increase in value like bricks and mortar. They require maintenance, so it's best if you can do some things yourself.

I have heard £5K being proposed as annual costs,  it's not easy to know, depends on so many variables. Insurance is relatively cheap, everything else can be expensive!

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Theo60 said:

what about poll tax

Nil (unless you're on an official residential mooring, which is rare)

water rates

Nil (well included in C&RT license)

utility 

Gas in bottles.....you'll perhaps use 2 a year if you just cook with it. Electric by the Kw/h if you have shore power on your mooring. 

Edited by booke23
  • Greenie 1

Thanks I’d kind of thought similar , but what about poll tax water rates  utility 

Unless you are on a fully approved residential mooring no council tax and your "water rates" come as part of your CaRT license or mooring fees. Ditto rubbish collection.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Theo60 said:

Thanks I’d kind of thought similar , but what about poll tax water rates  utility 

Good heavens, you don't mess  around, lol.

Y.ou might be liable for Council Tax,, there is no Poll Tax as such.

Edited by LadyG

One set of hidden costs (if you're not on a residential mooring) relates to interacting with authorities - without a home address, you're inelegible to hold a bank account, or any kind of credit agreement.  GP practices (apart from an honorable few) will accept you as a client.  Local authorities will not allow you subsidised transport nor use their refuse facilities. DVLA and TVL will refuse licences issued through their bureaucracy.

You will have to learn how lie, duck and dive to get round these issues.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

Use a friend or family address usually, if yu have them of course.

There are lots  of posts on the subject of liveaboard on here.

The address one. There are mailboxes for boaters which province addresses, you pay a fee.

I don't think banks accept c/o, they just want an address. Don't make an issue of it.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

There are lots  of posts on the subject of liveaboard on here.

The address one. There are mailboxes for boaters which province addresses, you pay a fee.

I don't think banks accept c/o, they just want an address.

You have to ensure that you have a bank account set up befor you go nfa.

Also a good idea to set up other accounts in advance e,g Tescos etc

On 29/06/2022 at 17:24, LadyG said:

I have heard £5K being proposed as annual costs,  it's not easy to know, depends on so many variables. Insurance is relatively cheap, everything else can be expensive!

I recon it cost me that before I even visit the boat.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I recon it cost me that before I even visit the boat.

I smile whenever I see figures like 5k bandied about. So far this very typical year (round figures). Moorings (recreational) £3250., licence £1050), insurance £150, paint for roof £200, batteries £700, Known and planned. Slipway & blacking £600. Labour for blacking (getting old) £200. Welding repairs to locker drains £200).Couple of DIY services £200. Who knows what will crop up in the coming months.

The hidden killer is the trips to a chandlers / B & Q. Small as individual visits but add up

Last year (and the years before) were just as expensive .

Just to clarify,. I DO NOT live aboard so no heating , electricity, diesel or ANY living costs included.

Edited by Slim