These YouTube vloggers ...

zenataomm

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

... have none of them heard of Brasso?

And as for how to coil a rope, don't get me started!

They need to watch some Youtube, instead of creating more content!

Yes, I know it is the wrong sort of boating and the wrong sort of rope.

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

... have none of them heard of Brasso?

And as for how to coil a rope, don't get me started!

A while ago a chap was having trouble coiling some old rope next to his boat, I just said " just throw a frenchman in " and he didnt even know what I meant. I will just add that at the time he was actualy supposedly giving lessons to someone else on rope use!!

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

A while ago a chap was having trouble coiling some old rope next to his boat, I just said " just throw a frenchman in " and he didnt even know what I meant. I will just add that at the time he was actualy supposedly giving lessons to someone else on rope use!!

Considering I've been playing around with ropes for a fair few years I have no idea what you mean  :)

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

They need to watch some Youtube, instead of creating more content!

Yes, I know it is the wrong sort of boating and the wrong sort of rope.

...and a split infinitive.

I have never seen Brasso in a yellow bottle before. Perhaps that's the smoother kind, meant to be taken with ice and tonic.

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Considering I've been playing around with ropes for a fair few years I have no idea what you mean  :)

Lol. Generaly used with wire rope but still often used with stiff or gash rope. When coiling down sometimes its a twat when coiling normaly to the right so you put a coild down to the left and it takes the spring out of it and coils much more easily. I would expect anyone teaching using ropes to understand th e term not everyone who uses ropes though. I reckon Mr google will probably have a description under frenchman, rope or similar?

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lol. Generaly used with wire rope but still often used with stiff or gash rope. When coiling down sometimes its a twat when coiling normaly to the right so you put a coild down to the left and it takes the spring out of it and coils much more easily. I would expect anyone teaching using ropes to understand th e term not everyone who uses ropes though. I reckon Mr google will probably have a description under frenchman, rope or similar?

Ahh I see, never heard the term, plus I suppose my working ropes would be ditched well before they reached gash stage.

Ohhhh I used to hate new rope day ;)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Ahh I see, never heard the term, plus I suppose my working ropes would be ditched well before they reached gash stage.

Ohhhh I used to hate new rope day ;)

New sisal is proper nasty innitt. New PROPER manila however is luverly.

I now have visions of some bloke somewhere on the waterways who, every time he has problems coiling his rope, finds the nearest Jean, Dick or Pierre and launches them into the cut muttering about how it never makes any difference anyway :D 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

New sisal is proper nasty innitt. New PROPER manila however is luverly.

Ohhhhh you old fart, not even as old as I am we never worked with natural fibre ropes.

Mind you when I first started to climb we used cable lay, it had so much stretch you would move up a couple of feet and return to your start point when you put you weight on the rope, plus descending would turn the dead end into a rats nest and leave you stuck halfway down the tree.

Then multiplait arrived, no rats nest and much reduced stretch, lush.

All of the above nonsense will age me massively when read by another tree surgeon :)

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Nor me (Frenchmans might be some sort of hitch I suppose)

I have found it amazing that many boaters have no idea how to throw a rope, it can be returned with knots because they sort of wrap it round their hands.

Pulling the whole boat directly rather than taking a turn on a bollard when ashore, I suppose their own boat must be quite small so they can manage it.

Edited by LadyG

coiling some old rope next to his boat, I just said " just throw a frenchman in " 

Nor me and I was a scout and scout leader for many years.... 

I was quite affronted when buying rope at Crick a few weeks ago when they wanted to charge me extra for adding* an eye splice... 

*Proper term would be making as in making knots not tieing them 

Edited by jonathanA
Add

9 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

coiling some old rope next to his boat, I just said " just throw a frenchman in " 

Nor me and I was a scout and scout leader for many years.... 

I was quite affronted when buying rope at Crick a few weeks ago when they wanted to charge me extra for adding* an eye splice... 

*Proper term would be making as in making knots not tieing them 

Any business can charge for any extra process, so I'd not be surprised if they charged for an eye splice.

Yes absolutely but eye splices are not hard to do and a useful skill for boaters (or anyone)  I would say.

To be fair they were quite happy to sell me the rope minus splice of course and were very open about the extra charge 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, jonathanA said:

If they are of no value why did you need them to do it for you? 

:giggles:

4 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Should have been clearer ..

I'm more than capable of doing my own splices so didn't need to pay them. 

I'm sure you are, but just because you can do your own splices it seems a bit rich to be complaining about being charged for others to do them for you.

I can do my own plumbing but I often pay others to do plumbing for me, without complaining on forums about it!

I wish I'd never mentioned it....  I wasnt intending to complain as such although that seems to be how you and lady g took it... so my bad

I'm sure many people were/are happy to pay for some one else to save the 5 minutes doing a splice.

My 'complaint' and it was supposed to be more of a passing light hearted comment, was they thought i might not be able to my own splicing... how dare they 🙂

Probably more appropriate in Arthur's thread about people unable to do stuff for themselves....

Once again demonstrates how easily forum posts are interpreted differently by different people and often not what the poster thought they were saying.

Every day is a school day.

16 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Also handy when coiling a hose. I use it every time I water the garden.

I also cringe when i see people trying to coil a rope from the free end rather starting from where it is secured so that any turns which build up work their way along the rope.

I am surprised no-one has spoken about anotherr of my pet hates -  the "round the elbow, or housewives washing line method". 🙂

Howard

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, howardang said:

Also handy when coiling a hose. I use it every time I water the garden.

I also cringe when i see people trying to coil a rope from the free end rather starting from where it is secured so that any turns which build up work their way along the rope.

I am surprised no-one has spoken about anotherr of my pet hates -  the "round the elbow, or housewives washing line method". 🙂

Howard

If you want to avoid twisting anything -- rope, hose, cable -- as you coil it up, use the "over-under" technique which is often taught as the best way to coil up audio cables... 😉

17 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I learnt it (I assume we are talking about the same thing!) as a fishermans twist - a slight twist of your wrist as you lay the coil into the other hand. Try and do it against the 'lay' of the rope and it will fail dismally.

19 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I just said " just throw a frenchman in "

Would (should?) be well understood by anyone who worked at the BBC - in the days when a camera was tied to the wall by a long length of cable comprising coax / power / telecoms / whatever then "throwing a frenchman" was widely understood as "add a turn in the opposite direction to all the existing turns" - without it, something would tangle...

17 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Would (should?) be well understood by anyone who worked at the BBC - in the days when a camera was tied to the wall by a long length of cable comprising coax / power / telecoms / whatever then "throwing a frenchman" was widely understood as "add a turn in the opposite direction to all the existing turns" - without it, something would tangle...

Is that effectively the same as the "over and under" cable coiling technique?

Edited by IanD

Ah, so a Frenchmans is not the same as a Fishermans. The latter does not have an opposite coil, just a slight twist in the rope to compensate with each coil. Ideal when tidying up after or leaving mooring.

Just ignore what I said before................... or after.................. or in the middle!!