Are they all on Apollo Duck?

Tigerr

Featured Posts

I am in the process of trying to find another boat, having sold our boat but now sorely regretting it and missing boating. Turns out motorhomes are not really the same sort of experience. 

Looking at Apollo Duck it would cost me £30k more now to buy it back! Ouch. That really rubs salt into it. The market has got some outrageous prices for average looking boats out there. 

Anyway, my question is, are all the boats on Apollo Duck or are there other places worth keeping an eye on? 

Whilst many brokers put boats for sale on the Duck as well as their own websites, by no means all do.

You really need to be looking directly at all the major brokers as well.

Some boats, (albeit a very small percentage of those for sale), get listed only on e-Bay.

52 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

I am in the process of trying to find another boat, having sold our boat but now sorely regretting it and missing boating. Turns out motorhomes are not really the same sort of experience. 

Looking at Apollo Duck it would cost me £30k more now to buy it back! Ouch. That really rubs salt into it. The market has got some outrageous prices for average looking boats out there. 

Anyway, my question is, are all the boats on A?pollo Duck or are there other places worth keeping an eye on? 

As you are experienced boater, could you venture in to project territory, or look up North.

I bought my boat three years ago, and it has not gone up  £30k even though I've spent £4k on it.

This has to be the peak time for buying. Knock off ten to fifteen percent from asking price if you can just buy today.

Edited by LadyG

Facebook Market Place is a good source of used boats.

Asking prices have got a bit silly, as I have found having recently sold my boat and am looking for another.

However, I am hanging fire for a time to see what happens to the market.

It's possible that when increased living costs really start to bite, prices of leisure boats ( maybe not boats suitable to live on) will moderate.😃

Another factor for me to delay is the number of canal stoppages, in my cruising area (West Yorkshire). It would be nice to think I could go off for a few days and be sure of returning to my mooring.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigerr said:

Anyway, my question is, are all the boats on Apollo Duck or are there other places worth keeping an eye on? 

On the flip side you will also get more for your motorhome than you paid for it.

Prices of those have gone silly as well. We could sell ours for £10k more than we paid for it last year without even trying (dealer cash offer from the place we bought it) :blink:

1 hour ago, Tigerr said:

Nearly all boats end up on Apollo duck. However some brokers are slow to get their stock on Apollo duck, so it's well worth keeping a close eye on their websites as often boats appear on there a few hours or even a day or two before they end up on Apollo duck, giving you a useful head start.

The same is true with boats that are priced a bit high and not selling......the broker might reduce the price eventually, and this will appear on their own website a few hours before Apollo duck. This is how we eventually bought our boat last year. 

It tends to be the smaller brokers that operate like this. The big ones seem to synchronise their websites and Apollo duck almost to the second!

The other trick I discovered was to subscribe to any Youtube channels that brokers have.......Rugby boats always produce a video tour of their boats and sometimes their videos appear on Youtube before the ad goes live on their website/Apollo duck. I very nearly bought a boat like this, except someone phoned up before I viewed it and bought it unseen for the full asking price. 

Edited by booke23

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

This has to be the peak time for buying. Knock off ten to fifteen percent from asking price if you can just buy today.

Well I suppose there is no harm in trying.

Unless its way overpriced or a complete dog most sellers know another buyer will be along in about ten minutes 😀- most of the price reductions Ive seen have been a result of something shown up on a survey.

• Greenie 1

Thanks all. Looks like basically Apollo and keeping an eye on Rugby and Whilton then. 

Not looking for a project boat - the last boat was enough of a project! Got a fairly good idea what we want, but I suspect our desires coincide with a lot of other people's! 

Key thing for me, apart from quality build spec and proper comfort,  is I reckon I need an engine room now - no more hanging upside down dropping sockets and screws into a distant black hole. I used to get covered in bruises after a session with the old beta in the hole. 

7 hours ago, Tigerr said:

Key thing for me, apart from quality build spec and proper comfort,  is I reckon I need an engine room now - no more hanging upside down dropping sockets and screws into a distant black hole. I used to get covered in bruises after a session with the old beta in the hole. 

Dead right. Lots of people consider an engine room a 'waste of space', but in saying this they are just demonstrating their lack of boating experience.

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

Dead right. Lots of people consider an engine room a 'waste of space', but in saying this they are just demonstrating their lack of boating experience.

What a load of cobblers..