Using up slightly dirty diesel

CapitalD

Featured Posts

We had a problem with the fuel system on our boat resulting in the engine bilge filling up with diesel.  So I now have 50 L of red diesel somewhat contaminated with a bit of engine oil from my engine bay.  The stern gland is separate, so very little water.

Is this of any use to anyone?  Suitable for more tolerant engines than ours, I'd guess.  To be collected from Leighton Buzzard.  Currently its in 2 x 25L containers and we'd like to hold on to them, so bring something into which you can decant.

If no one wants it, any suggestions for disposal?

Being of a tight persuasion, I would let it settle, decant it and use it. The water will drop to the bottom, as will grit and the bit of engine oil will do no harm at all.

In the bad old days we used to dump the sump oil from the engine into the fuel tank, BMC engines loved it. 

Yes, if we still had our old BMC ...

We've had huge amounts of grief with our fuel system on our current Beta 38 and ended up replacing the lift and priming pumps and having the injector pump and injectors refurbished.  We're consequently very wary of what we put in the tank.  It'll wear off in time, I'm sure.

For now, we're happy for someone else to take that particular step.

The "milepost" was installed by our neighbour, John Herrick, now sadly deceased.  He has a memorial plaque near the side pond of Leighton lock.

Wednesday will be fine.  Do you know how to get to the other side of those houses?  We're No 6

• 1 month later...

Having resolved the issue with the engine, we now have a 120L drum & a 20L container of clean-looking diesel.  It is, however, 'sticky' (see separate thread), so not suitable for our Beta 38.  It will run heaters & such gravity-fed systems.  If you can use it, come and get it from Leighton Buzzard.  The drum is water-side and would be challenging to move up teh steps to get to the road.