Upset today, change of interest.

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Saying all that, the Dawncraft thread should be moderated and there's no argument that the mods don't know; at least one of them has posted on the thread. 

Prior to which, another one had taken moderation action.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I suppose the moderators are all busy tipping their grass clippings in the cut?

Probably not: as far as I know, I'm the only one who does that, and I haven't done so since yesterday.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Today I am very upset.

I post on this forum to offer help and advice to other boaters.  In return I get sworn at and subjected to bad and foul language.

However it seems that I am not always correct in my approach or manner of posting.

So from now on there will be no levity or humour in my posts. 

I may even abandon the forum altogether if others are allowed to continue to use bad language.

I think you are over-reacting a little bit. It can be annoying but you (and I) can come across rather confrontationally even though we don’t (always) mean to be! You’ll get over it, just like I have on several occasions! Have a cup of tea.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think you are over-reacting a little bit. It can be annoying but you (and I) can come across rather confrontationally even though we don’t (always) mean to be! You’ll get over it, just like I have on several occasions! Have a cup of tea.

You have mellowed a hell of a lot over the last couple of years Nick.........................such a bloody shame :D

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

TEA!  Is that the answer to everything?  Its going to be a gin day.  NOTE :-   This post contains no humour and is not rude.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

TEA!  Is that the answer to everything?  Its going to be a gin day.  NOTE :-   This post contains no humour and is not rude.

I like Gin :) Just about to have dinner, grandsprog is here, then we are off up the pub so I will have some gin 👍 she is more of a wine drinker, shes a good girl in front of Grandad lol.

• Greenie 1

Proper dark bitter. Broadside, Old Speckled Hen, Abbotts or as I have sitting in front of me as I type, Old Hookey.

Pardon the interruption just got up to order another. 

Cheers and Tracy, b####r the Wokes, PC brigade or whatever they  call themselves. I notice that the OP didn't object to your humorous and accurate comment. 

5 minutes ago, Slim said:

Proper dark bitter. Broadside, Old Speckled Hen, Abbotts or as I have sitting in front of me as I type, Old Hookey.

Pardon the interruption just got up to order another. 

Cheers and Tracy, b####r the Wokes, PC brigade or whatever they  call themselves. I notice that the OP didn't object to your humorous and accurate comment. 

True, the OP actually thanked all for their comments.

It is never a good sign on a forum when rules get quoted and the word “moderators” is included in a post (or even worse posts).

I have nothing to add on that, but would say that despite boating for the last 45 of my 46 years I always feel I learn something from any post Tracy (and Tony and many others) give up their time to contribute their experience and knowledge to. Thanks guys.

gabble

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

@Tracy D'arth Can't say I've always agreed with your posts, but when it comes to ones about boats and engineering stuff then you know far far more than most of us do and offer your knowledge freely, and it's appreciated. The Dandy Swan match jibe was a bit cheeky though. Some of us go boating on a shoestring and have fun with little GRP boats. Take the spat in the other thread as six of one and half dozen of the other. As the previous poster said, there are a few people on here who contribute the greatest technical know-how to this forum and you're one. Enjoy a nightcap gin and hope to see you resuming normal service tomorrow 🙂

• Love 1

Top tip on moderation: you can't rely on the mods intervening and making it some kind of chocolate covered paradise here, you need to be responsible for the posts you make yourself and appreciate that a cheeky post may be misinterpreted and invite a cold response back. Also, if you don't actually know the poster in person, don't take it personally.

• Greenie 2

Please don’t leave. Yes i’ve noticed  that you too can be a bit cantankerous but so too can be an awful lot of experienced engineers and I am used to it. Snowflake I would say.  Taking the Piss for men and women  used to be part of life and had its own language not a hanging offence .

To people like me on a little narrow boat miles from home with only my 73 year old wife to discuss problems (real or imagined) with you give invaluable advice . 

If Sunshine actually was doing anything i’m pretty sure he would feel the same.

So you stay just as you are. If people spend so little time on the site and don’t know who to trust that is their problem. They can always go to a surveyor for advice and pay. 

Whatever you do. I had  a leaking stern gland recently and it was you who suggested checking the engine alignment. Thank you.

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I like Gin :) Just about to have dinner, grandsprog is here, then we are off up the pub so I will have some gin 👍 she is more of a wine drinker, shes a good girl in front of Grandad lol.

I like Gin in fact it migh6be gin time now🤣

Please crack on with your jokes, they always make me snigger, mainly because you just know they'll go right over some peoples heads and it'll be time to munch some popcorn as the thicko's get in a huff. You should be proud rather than offended by the reaction to the swan vestas joke IMO - gotcha! :thumbsup:

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If I am allowed to?  How many warnings am I allowed please?

I notice that mr “incoming radiation from the local star” is tending to pursue you around the forum dragging along his grudge into other threads. IMO this is something that should be against forum rules.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If I am allowed to?  How many warnings am I allowed please?

I don't think there's a limit, at least, I'm still here and I've rather lost count of mine. 

You have to be an offender in the Dunkley tradition of non-stop personal abuse and seriously offensive language before it gets to that stage. Straight-talking and the occasional misunderstood joke doesn't count. 

• Greenie 1

Thing to remember is that in verbal face to face communication, 30% of the information in the message is physical demeanour, how you move when you talk, 30% of the information is tone of voice and inflection & only 40% of the information are the words used.

Working abroad all my life taught me to be so very careful with telephone conversations & even more so with letters & now mails/posts.

One of the training courses I attended involved a message being read by participants & aiming to get different meanings across by changing tone of voice and inflection. Very easy to do.

• Greenie 2