Upset today, change of interest.

Featured Posts

Today I am very upset.

I post on this forum to offer help and advice to other boaters.  In return I get sworn at and subjected to bad and foul language.

However it seems that I am not always correct in my approach or manner of posting.

So from now on there will be no levity or humour in my posts. 

I may even abandon the forum altogether if others are allowed to continue to use bad language.

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Today I am very upset.

I post on this forum to offer help and advice to other boaters.  In return I get sworn at and subjected to bad and foul language.

However it seems that I am not always correct in my approach or manner of posting.

I may even abandon the forum altogether if others are allowed to continue to use bad language.

You are not alone, the standards of behaviour,  especially by some, seems to have dropped considerably since I got involved.

• Greenie 3

Both of you bring interesting and helpful information to the forum, so I for one would be grateful if you'd carry on pretty much as before. Whilst I didn't visit for quite a while recently when the continual bickering seemed to be at a peak, it would be a shame to lose your valuable input because some folk are overly argumentative or plain rude. A most unfortunate side to the internet that, isn't it. 

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Today I am very upset.

Please don't change. Humour and levity is much needed to counterbalance the heavy levels of bickering on here. Your knowledge and experience are invaluable to us newbies.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Today I am very upset.

Take no notice of a few moaners. Your input is great and knowledgable. There used to be a poster on here called Tony Dunkley. I have met him a few times when I skippered the Nottingham Princess and before. He has forgotten much more than any other poster I have met re such as the Trent and boats i  general, especialy larger proper commercial stuff will ever know. He can be a cantankerous old git, a bit like you and me 🤣 but he has gone from the forum forever due to one or two people with a more gentle disposition shall we say. Other very knowledgable posters have also gone over the years that called a spade a spade.

22 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

You are not alone, the standards of behaviour,  especially by some, seems to have dropped considerably since I got involved.

Maybe a little edit might be in order?

I do agree with the general thread though.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Please don't change. Humour and levity is much needed to counterbalance the heavy levels of bickering on here. Your knowledge and experience are invaluable to us newbies.

Thank you for your endorsement, but unfortunately the moderation on this site does not agree and I get warned for tongue in cheek humour. This is what is so upsetting, the bad language goes unchecked but I get warned for being "rude" when I express a correct view in humour.

• Horror 1

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

What the ffffffff well happened.:unsure:

A chap asked if anyone had done up a Dawncraft Dandy  with no other information. Tracy responded in Tracy way that if he went ahead he would lose money on it. Then one of the forum Police posted abuse and suggested that she was "on the vino". It was totally uncalled-for, although I would have phrased it differently. I replied suggesting until his record of posting and helping other was similar to hers he should shut up and apologise and stop the vino talking. He then had  ago at me.

We later get a bit more info that suggested that the OP's plans were not a full "do up" but still not clear what he intended, but it could still be expensive.

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thank you for your endorsement, but unfortunately the moderation on this site does not agree and I get warned for tongue in cheek humour. This is what is so upsetting, the bad language goes unchecked but I get warned for being "rude" when I express a correct view in humour.

Your line was obviously advice phrased as a joke, if a fairly robust one. The responses were totally uncalled for and appeared to be from people who don't contribute anything else. I've never hard of one of them before, which does lead one to suspect their motivation and, possibly, real identity.

Don't worry about the mods. They've got a job to do and we don't have to agree with them all the time. But I do hope they warned the others about their use of language.

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

A chap asked if anyone had done up a Dawncraft Dandy  with no other information. Tracy responded in Tracy way that if he went ahead he would lose money on it. Then one of the forum Police posted abuse and suggested that she was "on the vino". It was totally uncalled-for, although I would have phrased it differently. I replied suggesting until his record of posting and helping other was similar to hers he should shut up and apologise and stop the vino talking. He then had  ago at me.

We later get a bit more info that suggested that the OP's plans were not a full "do up" but still not clear what he intended, but it could still be expensive.

Thanks Tony. I've read it now. When I first came on this forum I received tremendous stick, and insults. but I fought back and beat em in the end. Mind you I did post some looney stuff, which folk seem to have become accustomed to now.  Keep at it Tracy, be strong, and beat em up if need be. :)

Never heard of @sunny before, cant say Ive noticed any previous postings by them.

I take it the posts concerned have been reported to the mods. They cant be expected to see everything on here?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is as well to remember that it works both ways :

You do regularly 'agressively bite back' when you don't see the funny side of something.

It was not that I did not see the funny side, there was no funny side, just vulgarity. That is my opinion. Lavatorial humour is not funny in 2022 society.

32 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Never heard of @sunny before, cant say Ive noticed any previous postings by them.

I take it the posts concerned have been reported to the mods. They cant be expected to see everything on here?

I did not feel it my place to and feel secure enough with my training to know the poster was drunk, on something, or in the middle of a mental episode so no point in reporting it. The mods have enough to do. I did feel that I should support Tracy who's technical knowledge I have never been able to fault, disagree on a conclusion possibly, but not fault the knowledge.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Don't change a thing. Some people on here just like to pick fights and deliberately upset people.

I have quite a few on ignore as they contribute nothing positive to the forum. 

Report posts that contravene forum rules, that is the only thing you can do really.

Don't leave because of a few trolls.

You're contributions are valuable.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have quite a few on ignore as they contribute nothing positive to the forum. 

Report posts that contravene forum rules, that is the only thing you can do really.

Don't leave because of a few trolls.

You're contributions are valuable.

But it wasn't Arthur Lady G it was Tracy.  :giggles: :)

Edited by bizzard

28 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I did not feel it my place to and feel secure enough with my training to know the poster was drunk, on something, or in the middle of a mental episode so no point in reporting it. The mods have enough to do. I did feel that I should support Tracy who's technical knowledge I have never been able to fault, disagree on a conclusion possibly, but not fault the knowledge.

Tracy mentioned they were warned but that other posts containing vulgarity remained. I was querying if the offending posts had been dealt with.

Yes the mods have enough to do but one can't really comment on posts being dealt with or not if they are not brought to the mods. attention.

A somewhat ironic thread as the OP has a track record of a pretty 'robust' posting style.

Yes, Sunny's response on the Dawncraft thread was out of order, but Tracy's post was pretty misjudged too, especially when replying to a new member.

Saying all that, the Dawncraft thread should be moderated and there's no argument that the mods don't know; at least one of them has posted on the thread.  There's foul language and a personal attack in Sunny's first reply.  Both are against the rules.  I suppose the moderators are all busy tipping their grass clippings in the cut?

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

But it wasn't Arthur Lady G it was Tracy.  :giggles: :)

Yes, sorry, my computer sometimes jumps to the wrong thread, I've noticed that before, but usually correct it in time.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

image.png.2653ab092b342923b6f2264dab96a1e9.png

I refuse to discuss moderating decisions. I refuse to name any Moderator. I have no questions concerning the running of the forum.

Please. who is the member of staff and what is the private message name?