Shoreline VHF fist mic

James Dyson

Featured Posts

Hello!

I do thames trips from Limehouse to Twickenham a couple of times a year.

I have a Shoreline compact WR VHF (see attached). It works, but I don't have a fist mic!

I've spoken with a company who sells cab radios who have the correct join, but say they need to know the wiring set up!

Does anyone have an old shoreline VHF who knows the type of wiring? Or do they have a fist mic that might work?

Cheers!

James

IMG_4436.jpg

Not very helpful,  but do you need to identify the plug and socket type first? The current models are different ...  https://www.marinesuperstore.com/marine-communication/handheld-vhf-radio/standard-horizon-fist-mic-for-handheld

Whilst on the subject of radios, I have just fitted an external aerial to my ICOM handheld set, which means I can now talk to London VTS from Teddington (on 5W). Previously it was rather hit and miss above Vauxhall.

If all else fails, trial and error should work! 😁

The plug looks like a GX16 4 pin. (Or the other sizes of this)

Plenty on eBay.

One pin will be ground, which is easy to check with a meter. That leaves three to try. (Check if any have voltage coming out. If so they can be avoided.)

HTH John

Not all 4-pins are the same though, remember that from my teenage dabblings with CB

A quick google shows three different manufacturers having different pinouts for the same connector type, you’ll need to be more specific with name and model no. to be sure of a working replacement. ;) 

18A44BD7-95C4-4ECA-BBCD-B6D828E4AEBD.jpeg

• Greenie 1

On 28/06/2022 at 10:10, Scholar Gypsy said:

Not very helpful,  but do you need to identify the plug and socket type first? The current models are different ...  https://www.marinesuperstore.com/marine-communication/handheld-vhf-radio/standard-horizon-fist-mic-for-handheld

Whilst on the subject of radios, I have just fitted an external aerial to my ICOM handheld set, which means I can now talk to London VTS from Teddington (on 5W). Previously it was rather hit and miss above Vauxhall.

Yes, similar to my recent experience, spoke to VTS fine on leaving Brentford, but nothing at Teddington. Had to phone them.

I too am looking at connecting my handheld to a fixed aerial. What type of aerial have you fitted? I was looking at https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Shakespeare/Stainless-Steel-Whip-VHF-Antenna-With-Magnetic-B/AVW?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&stock=14108&gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4o2IjBrimBomWqasfNevy8GWSjy40FHSF6X-zNXV0C8DNHUewT_2hcaAsZdEALw_wcB 

On 05/07/2022 at 12:29, Mike55 said:

Yes, similar to my recent experience, spoke to VTS fine on leaving Brentford, but nothing at Teddington. Had to phone them.

I too am looking at connecting my handheld to a fixed aerial. What type of aerial have you fitted? I was looking at https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Shakespeare/Stainless-Steel-Whip-VHF-Antenna-With-Magnetic-B/AVW?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&stock=14108&gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4o2IjBrimBomWqasfNevy8GWSjy40FHSF6X-zNXV0C8DNHUewT_2hcaAsZdEALw_wcB 

That is exactly the one I use - actually I now have two, one connected to my fixed set and one (via a couple of connectors) to the handheld. They are excellent (I have picked up VTS near Sonning on the Thames, though they couldn't hear me).  Note that you need to solder the plug on yourself, which is a bit fiddly but the instructions are clear.  The magnetic mount is handy as my radios are used on a large number of boats ....

You can see them both here ...

dsc_7164.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy