Grand Union into Birmingham

Col_T

Featured Posts

So, we’re currently on the North Stratford heading down to Kingswood / Lapworth junction so that we can go up the GU into Birmingham, and then out onto the Worcester and Birmingham toward Droitwich. However, the more we read about mooring in Birmingham, the less we fancy the idea. So, I’d be grateful if folk could advise good overnight mooring spots.

We’re thinking that we might try Star City and Cambrian Wharf, and we are definitely going to avoid overnighting on weekend nights. It’ll be our first visit to Birmingham on the boat, so all info very much appreciated.

We've never had any problems mooring in Birmingham, we usually moor either in the Oozells loop or on the main line outside the arena.  We are normally there on a weekend and whilst there can be more people walking around, we haven't had any trouble.

Coming up the GU we usually stop at Catherine de Barnes and then do a long day into Birmingham.

Edited by Rob-M

33 minutes ago, Col_T said:

So, we’re currently on the North Stratford heading down to Kingswood / Lapworth junction so that we can go up the GU into Birmingham, and then out onto the Worcester and Birmingham toward Droitwich. However, the more we read about mooring in Birmingham, the less we fancy the idea. So, I’d be grateful if folk could advise good overnight mooring spots.

We’re thinking that we might try Star City and Cambrian Wharf, and we are definitely going to avoid overnighting on weekend nights. It’ll be our first visit to Birmingham on the boat, so all info very much appreciated.

Central Birmingham is fine. However by that I mean on the main line around the arena (used to be called the NIA) down to sheepcote st bridge, to farmers bridge top lock /Cambrian basin. Or outside the Bank (start of oozels st loop). The place to avoid at weekends is gas st basin to salvage turn (Mailbox) due to drunken idiots, however I don’t think that aspect is as bad as it was a few years ago. You are very unlikely to get any grief apart from perhaps a bit of noise on weekends.

Star city is fine, surprisingly quiet considering it’s proximity to Spaghetti Jn - but it is a bit off-route. One can stop at the top of camp hill round the corner from the services, not very picturesque but it is secure. So I would do Catherine de Barnes to the centre in 1 day, then out onto the W&B.

Ill just mention 2 things about the GU into Birmingham one being Knowle locks which have an amazing propensity to circulate water in their pounds when and after the lock above drains. You will find as you are approaching the lock entrance your boat goes inexplicably and rapidly sideways, then just as you have compensated for that, it goes sideways the other way, then … crunch. And the lengthy cutting through Solihull is one of my least favourite routes. Shallow, full of debris, and rather stinky. Last time we were there, some dredging was going on so it might be better, but otherwise it can be pretty slow.

Edited by nicknorman

I concur with Rob M. We have generally moored anywhere from Mailbox Turn through to the Roundhouse. The centre is noisier with nightclubs but by the time you are out at the Roundhouse which is only a few hundred yards it's fairly quiet for a city centre. There are always stories about untied mooring ropes and I am sure it happens, but I've not seen it myself and quite honestly if a few inebriated people untying your ropes one night is the worst you are facing, that really isn't much to deal with in the morning by pulling yourself in with a boat pole.

If you are in the area for a bit and travelling around, other good mooring options are Walsall Basin, the Black Country Museum and several options just south of the Netherton tunnel. The BCNS publishes a handy guide to good mooring spots. Most of the BCN is not the grim place it is often presented to be.

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, agg221 said:

quite honestly if a few inebriated people untying your ropes one night is the worst you are facing, that really isn't much to deal with in the morning by pulling yourself in with a boat pole.

Or, radically, you could consider using your engine ...

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Or, radically, you could consider using your engine ...

Yes that's true - I tend to forget that for most people that's a good option.

For me, by the time I have done all the checks, set it up to run on petrol, warmed it up, got it running on diesel, got it idling nicely and then finally pulled in it's easier to just use the boat pole! (the joys of a vintage Kelvin, but at least it's not a direct reversing lamp-start hot-bulb...)

Alec

1 minute ago, agg221 said:

Yes that's true - I tend to forget that for most people that's a good option.

For me, by the time I have done all the checks, set it up to run on petrol, warmed it up, got it running on diesel, got it idling nicely and then finally pulled in it's easier to just use the boat pole! (the joys of a vintage Kelvin, but at least it's not a direct reversing lamp-start hot-bulb...)

Sounds fair enough.

I know @DHutch has commented that for journeys of less than a mile or so it's faster and easier to bowhaul Emily-Anne rather than get the steam up!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Col_T said:

What have you read and where?

It sounds like nonsense.

2 hours ago, Col_T said:

We’re thinking that we might try Star City and Cambrian Wharf,

If you are approaching Birmingham from the Grand Union you won't pass Star City. 

The GU is fine to stop anywhere up to Catherine de Barnes. I have overnighted a bit further up, but most would say the next safe mooring is at Camp Hill top lock, and then Birmingham City centre.

2 hours ago, Col_T said:

Our home mooring is in Birmingham (Halesowen) so we regularly travel through there (will do again this year) and if you are at Kingswood/Lapworth I'd carry on up the Lapworth flight on the North Stratford and Worcester and Birmingham Canals.  Go into Birmingham past Bournville (secure mooring if you need one) and the University. It is a far nicer route in over the Catherine de Barnes route which we've also done and found to be shallow in places with the opportunity to collect rubbish around the prop. For us the Catherine de Barnes route was one of those 'done it, don't need to do it again' routes. It might involve doubling back on yourself to go back down towards Tardebigge and Droitwich, but in my view (others are available) it is a more pleasant trip.

If you are dead set on going the Catherine de Barnes route, we found a reasonable mooring at Camp Hill top lock (Sampson Road Wharf) where you can often tuck you boat out of the way behind the service block. After that I'd tend to make a dash for Farmer's locks to get into the City Centre.

Central Birmingham is fine in the region of the NIA, Oozels loop although can be a bit noisier towards Gas Street. The worst I've had in the centre was to wake up in the morning to find my mooring lines had been cast off, but on a canal in the middle of the city where is your boat going to come to any harm (unlike getting cast off on a river).

• Greenie 1

Many thanks for the comments, gents.

@Captain Pegg Pearsons et al are full of “don’t leave your boat unattended here” comments which can be a little unsettling, particularly as we haven’t been into,Birmingham on the boat.

@David Mack My Pearsons reckons that Star City is at the junction of the GU and the Birmingham & Fazeley.

I wasn’t explicit, but we are thinking of going up to the very top of the GU, hence Star City, overnighting thence the Aston and Farmers Bridge flights to Cambrian Wharf, then leaving Brum on the Birmingham and Worcester.

11 minutes ago, Col_T said:

I wasn’t explicit, but we are thinking of going up to the very top of the GU, hence Star City, overnighting thence the Aston and Farmers Bridge flights to Cambrian Wharf

That's 35 locks (down 11 and up 24) from Camp Hill to Birmingham, compared with 25 via Ashted (6 down and 19 up).

16 minutes ago, Col_T said:

@Captain Pegg Pearsons et al are full of “don’t leave your boat unattended here” comments which can be a little unsettling, particularly as we haven’t been into,Birmingham on the boat.

@David Mack My Pearsons reckons that Star City is at the junction of the GU and the Birmingham & Fazeley.

I wasn’t explicit, but we are thinking of going up to the very top of the GU, hence Star City, overnighting thence the Aston and Farmers Bridge flights to Cambrian Wharf, then leaving Brum on the Birmingham and Worcester.

Central Birmingham gets pretty full of boats every night in the summer. It seems unlikely that all those boats would choose to moor there every night if it were “dangerous”! You will find it is much more pleasant than you expect - the central bit that is. The approaches can be a bit less picturesque!

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Central Birmingham is fine in the region of the NIA, Oozels loop although can be a bit noisier towards Gas Street. The worst I've had in the centre was to wake up in the morning to find my mooring lines had been cast off, but on a canal in the middle of the city where is your boat going to come to any harm (unlike getting cast off on a river).

Agree with all of this.  We like the Oozells St Loop, because the towpath along there is a dead end, so there’s not much foot traffic.

It’s unfortunate that there are bollards in central Birmingham rather than rings to moor to, because it’s so much easier for people to slip your rope off a bollard.  I have been known to use a cable tie round my mooring lines so they’re tight to the bollard; even if you are untied on the boat you won’t go anywhere.

9 hours ago, Col_T said:

I thought it might have been one of the boating groups on Facebook. They generally make CWDF look like a haven of knowledge and sanity by comparison.

I don’t use Pearson’s personally, but I think there’s a big difference in security when it comes to leaving a boat unattended, especially overnight, compared to a one night stay while cruising.

I think places that might once have been considered undesirable now regularly attract moored boats.

As others have said the one thing you should aim to do is stop in central Birmingham. On the way in Catherine-de-Barnes is a posh place, Camp Hill and Star City are secure but not attractive and there’s also a secure mooring three locks up the Aston flight. Of the places that have been listed one you may find dubious if you arrive there intending to moor is the business park above Ashted locks.

The “top’ of the GU main line is actually Warwick Bar/Proof House Jn where it joins the Digbeth branch of the B&F. That’s between the Camp Hill and Ashted flights. The literal top is the Knowle to Camp Hill pound.

12 hours ago, Col_T said:

From Catherine de Barnes to Camp Hill is shallow (even since the recent dredging), dirty and not particularly salubrious but it is not unsafe. If you are delayed (perhaps by stuff round your prop) you can overnight anywhere along there. You shouldn't leave the boat unattended but that's ok 'cause there is  nowhere to go anyway.

I don't personally go that way because my boat draws 31" and the trip is a pain but when at home I walk my dog along there every day, I have seen boats in 'difficulty' but never trouble involving humans.

We moored in central Birmingham twice in the last month.

The first time was between the Mailbox and Gas Street Basin.  This was on the Thursday Jubilee Bank Holiday and fairly busy with people all the time but didn't have any problems worth noting.  Quite a few beggars around but they were fairly chatty and generally not a problem.  A bit of noise around 2-3am when the bars shut but otherwise ok.

The second time we got in the Sheepcote Street moorings and again had no issues aside the trip boats passing quite fast.  Obviously with a brick paved towpath and bollards at set intervals it can be difficult to get your mooring lines ideally positioned.

It obviously depends on your expectations.  With the beggars we didn't give any money, only the odd cigarette and they were more than happy just to chat.  We did have a few girls ask for a photo on our "barge" which wasn't an issue and let them stand on the stern holding the tiller.  Whether or not you'd be comfortable with that is obviously down to you but I took the approach that if I kept them happy then they'd be more inclined to respect any moored boats in the future.

There are, I think, 14 day moorings the other side of St Vincent Street Bridge which looked ok if there was no other space.

It's all been said above.

There was a time when folks avoided Brum - but that was years ago, now it's a go-to destination. The amount of change happening is fantastic - fine if you like modern archiecture or looking around. If still active try the pen museum, back to backs, the view from the Library or designing your trip to include the Black Country Museum.

Thanks for all the input, folks, it’s very much appreciated.

I’m reasonably sure that we’re going to tempt providence and go up past Katherine de Barnes - we’re 2’6” by my estimation, so at least I know to expect slow progress. We’ll try for Star City for our first night, with Camp Hill as a fall-back if we’re delayed too much, and then the Aston & Farmers Bridge flights for a long day before overnighting and then stopping at Bourneville to have a look around there. If we have to do Camp Hill, we’ll just aim for Star City next day and stop there before doing Aston Farmers Bridge.

It’ll not be for another week or so, but I’ll update this after we’re done, just in case it may be useful to someone else.

6 minutes ago, Col_T said:

Thanks for all the input, folks, it’s very much appreciated.

I’m reasonably sure that we’re going to tempt providence and go up past Katherine de Barnes - we’re 2’6” by my estimation, so at least I know to expect slow progress. We’ll try for Star City for our first night, with Camp Hill as a fall-back if we’re delayed too much, and then the Aston & Farmers Bridge flights for a long day before overnighting and then stopping at Bourneville to have a look around there. If we have to do Camp Hill, we’ll just aim for Star City next day and stop there before doing Aston Farmers Bridge.

It’ll not be for another week or so, but I’ll update this after we’re done, just in case it may be useful to someone else.

Regarding Bournville, the secure moorings - behind a gate on the offside - are almost permanently occupied by liveaboard boats. There are towpath visitor moorings but it's another of those places where some will advise not to moor, despite the fact that Bournville itself is a nice area. The next nearest moorings at Kings Norton fall into a similar bracket but I regularly see boats moored overnight there. 

I'm not sure what you want to see at Bournville. Cadbury World is aimed  at kids.

10 minutes ago, IanM said:

Whilst it's your choice, I really think you've picked the worst mooring places on the list.

You really won't have any issues at 2' 6". 

I disagree, those are the places I'd stay on that route, they are the secure moorings. Although I'd probably go straight into Brum in one go via Ashted, which is possible in a day from Lapworth, but the OP perhaps wants to go via Garrison and Aston.

Just to add to my earlier comment that if @Col_T is planning to go past C-de-B and moor overnight before Camp Hill then they may struggle due to physical limitations on being able to moor which was referenced by an earlier poster who lives in the area. Not sure if they didn't just mean they are going past C-de-B in general.

Edited by Captain Pegg