Dawncraft dandy

Littlegrebe

Featured Posts

Just now, Littlegrebe said:

Than you for your advice. Have you got any photos of the work you did? And I just need to get some sort of power whatever it is because I have no electric if you have any advice how I could do it please 

Much more info needed. What battery charging facilities do you have. What type/make/model of engine (if any). Does your mooring have a shoreline facility.

If you have no charging and no shoreline then I am afraid your only option is a generator unless you get one of the newfangled power supplies that contain a charger and lithium battery so that you can charge at work/home and use the stored electricity on the boat.

Also, what are you using the boat for.

None of this is being nosey. We need to know all this and more so we can give the best advice.

On 27/06/2022 at 19:26, Littlegrebe said:

I just want to get a electric 240 hook up fitted and just a few other little bits. As I stands I have no electric at all. 

The cheapest and easiest option is an extension lead like this:

Maypole-MP3766-usb-mains-power-unit__83045.1582227902.jpg?c=2

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan/electrical/mains/hook-up/maypole/5-in-1/

Or you could use an installation kit like this:

240v-mains-electric-installation-kit-cam

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/campervan/motorhome/240v/electric-hook-up/kit/

Other makes are available, try 12 Volt Planet for example.

Edited by Peanut
duplicate image

1 hour ago, Peanut said:

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan/electrical/mains/hook-up/maypole/5-in-1/

Only once the OP confirms he has access to shore power. If not how is an extension lean plugged into nothing going to help? Until we get some questions answered we are all just guessing. We have yet to be told if he is talking about 230V AC or 12V DC power. If he wants DC power how are those leads going to help without a battery charger or 12V DC power supply?

22 hours ago, Littlegrebe said:

Than you for your advice. Have you got any photos of the work you did? And I just need to get some sort of power whatever it is because I have no electric if you have any advice how I could do it please 

As Tony said: you'll need to provide more info on what you have and need.

On my DC22 I have one starter battery (for the engine) and one leisure battery (for lights, USB charging, etc.). To help top up the batteries (on brighter days) I have a solar panel and controller which tops up the batteries as they go down. Unfortunately, the solar panel is pretty useless in winter.

Do you just need 12V for lights and stuff, or 240V for power tools or something??

10 hours ago, Peanut said:

"I just want to get a electric 240 hook up fitted"

Which I always thought meant plugging in to shore power.

He could then use his electric kettle, microwave, charger, power tools and the like, with no need for an inverter.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Peanut said:

Which I always thought meant plugging in to shore power.

He could then use his electric kettle, microwave, charger, power tools and the like, with no need for an inverter.

But what is he intending to plug into. Even if he does mean that he just wants mains aboard from a shoreline how is he going to deal with the wiring inside the boat. He may or may not already have mains wiring and sockets but if not he needs to understand the BSS  requirements for the wiring, like multi-strand cables, maximum support distances and so on. He may have to bond various metal parts back to the shoreline earth. Next are any of the through hull fittings internally bonded. If they are then there is a question about galvanic isolation.

If he intends to drape the  shore line through a window and use it like an extension lead it is very bad practice. Maybe not as bad as on a steel boat where the whole hull could become live but the window frame or if he puts a mains appliance on a metal  draining board that could become live and being a GRP boat it may not trip any of the RCDs he should have.

If he is in a marina then hopefully the shoreside bollard should have an RCD to protect the shoreline itself but he may be intending to plug into a domestic socket and that not have any RCD protection. Not all houses do, especially older ones.

I would not be happy to advise unless I felt I understood the whole situation, and at present I do not.

Mins can kill so caution is vital.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Peanut said:

Maypole-MP3766-usb-mains-power-unit__83045.1582227902.jpg?c=2

240v-mains-electric-installation-kit-cam

Those Maypole extension leads are good I use one for camping as it clips onto my camp table legs and has USB sockets under the small cover, but as Tony said possibly not appropriate for this application depending on where the power is coming from.