Dawncraft dandy

Littlegrebe

Featured Posts

Looking at your profile patron gender not telling and some of your replys to posters you come across as a sad lonely bitter and twisted person could be wrong the vino chills you out

• Angry 1

4 minutes ago, sunny said:

Looking at your profile patron gender not telling and some of your replys to posters you come across as a sad lonely bitter and twisted person could be wrong the vino chills you out

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how out of bounds it is. Replies is spelt like this.

I care not about what you think, my reply was aimed at saving the OP from making an expensive mistake wasting money they can never recover.

• Greenie 1

So just say a bit of a bad idea as they are not well thought of boats spend your money elsewere  He might be happy with what he has and just trying to improve things As for my spelling at my time in life and the way the world is going i really do not give a shit

8 minutes ago, sunny said:

When you know as much about inland  boats as Tracy and have also equalled her record of giving good advice when trying to help people then you just MIGHT be in a position to make such a post. I suggest a prompt apology.

If you can't be constructive stay out of the discussion or stop the vino talking.

Trying to bring GRP narrow beam cruisers up to a good standard will cost money, especially as my impression is that Dawncrafts have one of the lighter layups and also one of the lower resale values. It all depends on what needs doing and what the OP wants from the boat but I agree with Tracy, it could be a money pit.

• Love 1

Hi thanks for the messages I think. A very strange discussion clearly just happened between a few of you. I don't want to spend a fortune. I just want to get a electric 240 hook up fitted and just a few other little bits. As I stands I have no electric at all. 

So the guy might be happy with what he has so why try to belittle him   has it occured to you he might just want somthing to mess and tinker with as for you i only hope the poor buggers you trained took it all with a pinch of salt

4 minutes ago, sunny said:

So the guy might be happy with what he has so why try to belittle him   has it occured to you he might just want somthing to mess and tinker with as for you i only hope the poor buggers you trained took it all with a pinch of salt

That is two people you owe an apology to now 🤬

Edited by MrsM

This is just another typical forum where there are half a dozen posters who think everything they say is gospel if you disagree they have a fit Just because you have been boating for fifty years does not make you an expert

2 minutes ago, Littlegrebe said:

As I stands I have no electric at all.

If that means no 12V electrics then things are likely to get expensive, especially if yours uses an older outboard because older outboard tend not to have the charging output for much more than a single light and recharge the start battery.

The 240V bit. If you want and inverter to power it from the batteries then that is more expense and probably more batteries. If it is a straight shore line then it is simpler but on no account use a domestic (house) electrician or practices. It could  fail the BSS inspection and is potentially dangerous.

We do have a member who has posted his experiences of doing up a small GRP boat but I forget his name, a quick search did not turn anything up, but his was not a Dawncraft.

6 hours ago, Littlegrebe said:

Has anyone done a refit on this type of boat before 

1 hour ago, Littlegrebe said:

I don't want to spend a fortune. I just want to get a electric 240 hook up fitted and just a few other little bits.

You will get more helpful advice if you can set out the extent of work you are proposing to do. The first post suggests a complete refit, which as others have suggested, may not be worthwhile; the second post above suggests relatively minor alterations, which may be much more practical.

I have considerable respect for Capt. Faffer. His work on GRP boats is outstanding.

I don't know it all but pass on the best of my experience gleaned from a life in engineering and boats. I wish anyone resurrecting a boat all the best but would always advise that it will almost certainly cost more than the estimate and often more than the vessel could ever be worth.

I hate foul language on this forum, its not necessary.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, W+T said:

Same old place this, i stopped coming on here a long time ago as it has to many folk that think they know it all and up there own backsides.  

I didnt loose out on this boat i last built, i soll it for what it cost me. Had fun along the way, the main point.

Indeed - there are naysayers among us. The OP should ignore them. 

TBH, most of my pleasure from Juno these days comes from tinkering and putting her right - most of my time on board I either have tools in my hand (or a cup of coffee and a good book) and dream of the day when I will sail to far off places. Commercially she probably isn't worth the money I'm spending, but the weekends spent afloat dreaming most certainly are. And on top of that, if she ever does make it to the Chesterfield Canal or wherever, she'll be my boat, and that is priceless. 

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I hate foul language on this forum, its not necessary.

Whilst not foul language this...

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not being funny but most refits on these is done with a box of swan vestas.

Is downright rude - rudeness does not need bad language

It is also inaccurate, there are many much loved Dandy's up and down the system.  

I've got a soft spot for GRPs*, I think the original Dawncraft layouts are bloomin clever at utilising the space available. I've lived pretty comfortably on a Highbridge 32 for 5 years now, which is a tiny bit like a big Dandy. 

Liveaboard or leisure use? 

Also, consider this folks- if someone lived in a back cabin of an ex working boat they'd be crowned a hero, if someone wants to live on a plastic boat they're often thought of as insane, doesn't really add up to me...

*probably osmosis...

• Greenie 2

Hi @Tony Brooks thanks for the tag. I didn't see this post 

Yes,I have a Dawncraft 22. Mine was already fitted out when I got it, but I've since done a couple of small modifications (6ft seating area into a table and seating area that converts back to 6ft seating/sleeping) and tweaks (scraping off old paint on the hull and trying to restore the original).

I'm definitely no expert, but feel free to ask me about mine @Littlegrebe.