Is the price of diesel restricting boat use?

peterboat

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Just talking with a narrowboat hire company owner yesterday and he says the pre tax price is still rising.

We have paid between £1.18 at domestic rate and £1.59 at 60/40 at coastal locations  this week which is considerably better than £1.85 in inland marinas  local to home.

A sea trip we have just completed consumes a large proportion of our fuel for the year. 

So far we really haven't cut back on boat use but there has been a significant cost to doing so.

I really cant imagine fuel returning to last years prices. 

We were surprised that the price of diesel here on the Isle of Wight really isn't any different to on the mainland. We were expecting it to be much more expensive.

Even with the increased cost of fuel, this holiday will be very cheap when compared with say the cost of hiring a holiday cottage. If we had hired a cottage we would still have had to drive here in the car.

So far we have used about half a tank of fuel so around 45 litres. Not a massive amount and certainly not enough to make us think about reducing the mileage we will do.

We will have spent more on food and drink than fuel and van fees.

I've just done the equivalent of filling up my original tank at a cost of about £160, which will sort me for a five or six weeks cruise. I can still remember doing the same time for fifteen quid... and, back then, no CRT mooring fees, no boat safety nonsense...

It's still a very cheap way of having over a month's holiday. And pottering along at 6am on a misty canal morning, going nowhere in particular slowly, there really isn't much better.

• Greenie 3

I've taken the view that we may as well spend while we can afford it.

The upcoming winter and energy costs look like they are going to be devastating for many people and businesses.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

I've taken the view that we may as well spend while we can afford it.

The upcoming winter and energy costs look like they are going to be devastating for many people and businesses.

Fuel costs, energy costs and the costs of food and other essentials are unlikely to be coming back down anytime soon.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Fuel costs, energy costs and the costs of food and other essentials are unlikely to be coming back down anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Oil down another 3% today.

Under $100 a barrel

Make you mind up 😁

But I agree it's not a problem that we can expect to be solved in the short term.

1 hour ago, davem399 said:

The £ is at a two year low against the dollar, and oil is traded in dollars, which isn’t helping.

The euro is collapsing against the dollar as well, Russia is also closing another outlet that sells oil to Europe according to an article I read today,  a 1 million barrel cut in supplies it suggests 

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The euro is collapsing against the dollar as well, Russia is also closing another outlet that sells oil to Europe according to an article I read today,  a 1 million barrel cut in supplies it suggests 

And today the EU announce they are changing 'the rules' and that gas and nuclear are now to be accepted as 'green' and can be counted towards environmental targets

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And today the EU announce they are changing 'the rules' and that gas and nuclear are now to be accepted as 'green' and can be counted towards environmental targets

And they wondered why we left! Bent as a nine bob note they are

• Greenie 1