Is the price of diesel restricting boat use?

peterboat

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Steady on with those sorts of trips 🤣🤣🤣

Can you say you never went from  Burton Waters to Saxilby by boat ? All of 3 miles.  Or perhaps even to the Pyewipe Inn which must be about a mile? 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Can you say you never went from  Burton Waters to Saxilby by boat ? All of 3 miles.  Or perhaps even to the Pyewipe Inn which must be about a mile? 

Of course we went to those places. They were our local stops if we were not going far, more so in the winter.

They were certainly not what would be counted as a "trip" though.

Much like I'm sure you wouldn't count a run to Newark or Hazelford a "trip"

How was the weather on the Humber today?

9 minutes ago, Paul C said:

No experience with bigger boats and huge engines, but for narrowboating it focuses more on getting the boat sorted so the engine is only needed for actual propulsion, ie any heating (space, water) and charging can be done by other more economical means, or managed properly so eg evening engine running isn't necessary.

Every cloud might have a silver lining and the use of annoying buzzy petrol generators might decrease :rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Every cloud might have a silver lining and the use of annoying buzzy petrol generators might decrease :rolleyes:

It would be a nice thought.  The boat moored behind me yesterday ran a noisy frame genny to do some washing for about 4 hours in the morning, then ran it again for 3 hours in the evening to charge his batteries.

I did ask why he didn't just tilt his solar panels towards the sunshine rather than away from it but he said he couldn't be bothered.  Sigh.

Fortunately he left this morning.  After another 3 hour genny session!

• Sad 1
  • Horror 2

On 26/06/2022 at 14:59, Naughty Cal said:

Very true.

Pretty much every year for the 13 years that we owned our "mini gin palace", fuel costs were around a 5th of the cost of annual maintenance. 

Typical mooring costs around £60/week - ins, bss, repair and maintenance perhaps £50/week. Diesel around 6 litres / day ie now getting to £72/wk.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Epic voyage :rolleyes:

Pollington now seen 2 bosts moving all day so hard6the M1! At the Kings Head enjoying meat and potato pie so not a bad result, proper hand pulled tetleys bitter so the world is a happy place. 

I enjoy my couple of hours cruising a day  its the same with the camper I get bored to death with anything more, while some want epic voyages I have done that and got the medals for the fight st the end!

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It would be a nice thought.  The boat moored behind me yesterday ran a noisy frame genny to do some washing for about 4 hours in the morning, then ran it again for 3 hours in the evening to charge his batteries.

I did ask why he didn't just tilt his solar panels towards the sunshine rather than away from it but he said he couldn't be bothered.  Sigh.

Fortunately he left this morning.  After another 3 hour genny session!

Maybe he found you were making too much noise, so being on a boat he decided to take the standard forum advice and move on....!

:giggles:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MtB said:

Maybe he found you were making too much noise, so being on a boat he decided to take the standard forum advice and move on....!

:giggles:

Funny you should say that - the two boats moored behind him set off again late yesterday, because when the irritating racket from the noisy genny stopped we could hear the yappy dog continuously.  It was almost a relief when he restarted the genny!

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Funny you should say that - the two boats moored behind him set off again late yesterday, because when the irritating racket from the noisy genny stopped we could hear the yappy dog continuously.  It was almost a relief when he restarted the genny!

Bloody liveaboards, eh??! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Pollington now seen 2 bosts moving all day so hard6the M1! At the Kings Head enjoying meat and potato pie so not a bad result, proper hand pulled tetleys bitter so the world is a happy place. 

I enjoy my couple of hours cruising a day  its the same with the camper I get bored to death with anything more, while some want epic voyages I have done that and got the medals for the fight st the end!

Say hello to our old (favourite) mooring.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Typical mooring costs around £60/week - ins, bss, repair and maintenance perhaps £50/week. Diesel around 6 litres / day ie now getting to £72/wk.

Our average our winter maintenance and repair bill was around £3k, mooring averaged £1.5k, fuel averaged around 1k per year.

Granted fuel has gone up in the last year but so has the cost of spare parts, moorings and licence fees.

If fuel had doubled in price, which it hasn't, fuel would be a long way from the most expensive part of owning the boat.

59 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Say hello to our old (favourite) mooring.

It's all full there Martin, Emma the owner of the Kings Head is on a waiting list for a mooring, currently they are at Rawcliff bridge. The food was good In the pub so will call in on the way back

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It's all full there Martin, Emma the owner of the Kings Head is on a waiting list for a mooring, currently they are at Rawcliff bridge. The food was good In the pub so will call in on the way back

Not surprised. Its a great LTM, secure, and you can get a car right up to the boat. The only thing it lacked was 240v.

We loved our time there.

15 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

How was the weather on the Humber today?

A really good run  to Hull (Monday) with  little wind , the odd dark cloud but no rain . Just ripples on the water surface.

It did rain earlier in the day while we  were waiting on the pontoon at Gainsborough .

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Why not?  

image.png.a421aaf4c24e52bb9abaad27d3f266c4.png

The only people that call Farndon to Hazelford or Burton Waters to Saxilby a "trip" are those that never go anywhere and are on their annual outing :lol:

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

A really good run  to Hull (Monday) with  little wind , the odd dark cloud but no rain . Just ripples on the water surface.

It did rain earlier in the day while we  were waiting on the pontoon at Gainsborough .

I did wonder as I was sat in the office watching it hammering it down with rain outside. 

Bit gusty today.

So glad our trips are not weather dependant anymore or reliant on water levels :blink:

Edited by Naughty Cal

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The only people that call Farndon to Hazelford or Burton Waters to Saxilby a "trip" are those that never go anywhere and are on their annual outing :lol:

I did wonder as I was sat in the office watching it hammering it down with rain outside. 

Bit gusty today.

So glad our trips are not weather dependant anymore or reliant on water levels :blink:

Well its windy today! Currently at Whitley lock just going to pen myself through, I have seen 3 boats on the move up to press, though to be honest I can't blame boat8for not moving as its very blustery. 

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Well its windy today! Currently at Whitley lock just going to pen myself through, I have seen 3 boats on the move up to press, though to be honest I can't blame boat8for not moving as its very blustery. 

It will be better weather next week :)

34 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It will be better weather next week :)

To late I am stuck on something 12 feet from the bank!! I have 3 feet of water around me but can't get off, a lady and I broke my pole trying to push off and boats won't come near for fear that they might get stuck as well. CRT have nobody to help at all I have asked if they have a turfer winch which might do it. It's a bloody mess to say the least 

• Sad 1
  • Horror 1

27 minutes ago, peterboat said:

To late I am stuck on something 12 feet from the bank!! I have 3 feet of water around me but can't get off, a lady and I broke my pole trying to push off and boats won't come near for fear that they might get stuck as well. CRT have nobody to help at all I have asked if they have a turfer winch which might do it. It's a bloody mess to say the least 

Omg, 

I've pulled a few hire boats off, but generally they are just lightly grounded on the sides.

Have you tried rocking to find out which way is most likely to release? Generally backing off would be the best option of course, and at an angle.

I've heard of folks emptying the water tank, and moving crew to and fro to set up a rocking movement. I have moved ballast to lean a boat, but there is no point unless you are sure it will improve the situation.

Someone will come along.

Exon Pride might do the job, as long as he can stop in time!

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

A proper tirfor would surely do it, vely stlong. Or a doubled rope around a tree or something opposite and to the boat and a stick or broom handle betwwen the two and keep stwisting the rope, tornique, Spanish windlass, also powerful.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A proper tirfor would surely do it, vely stlong. Or a doubled rope around a tree or something opposite and to the boat and a stick or broom handle betwwen the two and keep stwisting the rope, tornique, Spanish windlass, also powerful.

Yes the theory is good, provided there are no pesky cyclists using the towpath and peterboat has a long strong rope, plus assistance, and knows which direction to pull. 

I contacted RCR when I was stranded at Barrowford, but they did not have suitable resources.

He's gone quiet, so maybe no news is good news.

• Greenie 1